1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I in the right place for cable advice?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by riprip, Jun 15, 2003.

1. riprip

riprip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With yesterdays delivery of my Toshiba MV36ZD26 my home cinema setup is finally complete. Denon 2800MK2, Pioneer VSXD2011, KEF 2005 sub/sat package. I am very happy. However - I now need to spend my 10% on upgrading all my cables. I'm budgeting about £250 - £300 for this.

So first we have speaker cables - I'm planning on using Silver Anniversary for this. I'm moving house in about two weeks, and I'm guessing that 6 metres will be the furthest distance away (I'm going to put a laminate floor down and run the cables under this). I'm thining about using one of the speakers I got with the Tosh telly as a sixth channel, so that works out at 6 x 6 metres at £5 per metre = £180.

Now this is where I need a bit of help. I want to run a component cable from the DVD to the TV, but really don't know how much to spend. I need at least a 2 metre cable - went into Sevenoaks yesterday and the man offered me a 3m cable at £139. Felt a bit woozy then and staggered out.

I also need a 2 nice new phono cables between the tv to amp and dvd to amp.

I've got my PS2 and XBOX connected to the amp via cheap optical cables. Would you upgrade these?

At the moment I'm starting to think blowing £180 of the budget on speaker cable doesn't leave me enough to get interconnects of a similar quality. Would it be better to downscale the speaker cable to get superior interconnects?

Any advice would be massively appreciated. And if I'm in the wrong forum Mr Moderator, please feel free to move me.

Cheers

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    With the KEF Eggs ... there's no point going for Silver Anniversary cable (IMO). Take a trip to B&Q and you can pick up a 25m coil of 79strand cable for £10. This is very similar to QED original cable and will be fine. Also You don't really need to worry too much about all 5 cables being the same lenght - (IME) use same length for left and right, same length for both surround, then have the centre channel a suitable length.

For a component cable ... look at www.vdctrading.co.uk and look at the Van Damme range of cables - either 3 individual cables or 1 3-core cable. Get an extra (shorter) cable, and this will work very well as digital interconnet between DVD and amp.

Finally ... take a trip to Richer Sounds, and pick up an "Atlantic" (the red one) cable for between your TV and amp.

Just keep the existing optical cable for the XBox and PS2. Or try www.cpc.co.uk (look here) for slightly more expensive ones - don't go OTT though.

Vikki

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    You want to connect the DVD via a digital coax (75ohm) cable for DVD in 5.1 etc and TV by the same if has digital out or use 1 pair of stereo phonos for the TV
    IXOS do a nice meaty one £20 or get an extra 75ohm video cable works just as well.

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    just to note ... a video cable (like the Van Damme sold by VDC Trading) is 750hm - and there's no difference between that and a "digital" interconnect - and the video cable is probably going to be cheeper.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
  6. riprip

riprip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant - thanks everyone for all this fantastic advice.