• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Am I going to lose my Ilink???

goodtimes

I am upgrading from a ax5I to the VSXLx60.
I am also getting a BDPLX70A for HD.
I will be keeping my 989 for standard dvd and SACDs
I have enjoyed the I link connection
my question is will I loose my ilink connection for standard dvd and sacds??
can I somhow keep my ax5i and use the new amp hooked up to the same speakers????.
turning only one amp at a time ofcourse,couldnt be too different than bi wiring could it??.
cheers in advance guys.

P

Pioneer Man

Hi,

I amp to 1 set of speakers, otherwise you are in for an interesting fireworks display.

Why are you changing the amp? The AX5 is still good but just lacks some of the new audio decoding functions. If you really want ILink then wait for the LX90 amp....

goodtimes

I have just upgraded to blue ray.
I wanted hd sound and all the new standards etc. Ive got to have the latest ,,,:rolleyes:
the lx90 will be out of my price range.
I will place the two amps next to each other
banana plugs and some fast switching sounds the order of the day.
I kind of thought that if I joined a set of speaker wires together into the speakers just so long as I dont have both amps on at the same time I should be alright....but it may not be worth the risk.
I still love my ax5i.It was my first amp for dvds,
will the new amp sound better for standard movies through the hdmi or do you think the ax5i through the ilink is preferable??? I guess I will find out myself but I would be interested in what you think.
cheers and thanks
Tony

P

Pioneer Man

Hi,

The LX60 amp is just as good for DVD movies and CD audio, I would doubt that 95% of people would notice any difference if they both have been set up correctly.

If it was me I would just connect the DVD player up via a digital coax or optical and be done with it, the only advantage of ILink is the PLQS and the ability to carry DVD-Audio and SACD, not the end of the world.

goodtimes

your on the money I cant tell any desernablr difference between the 60 on hdmi and the ilink through the 989 for movies.
perhaps the hdmi is a little meatier.

P

Pioneer Man

Hi,

In essence the same 1s and 0s that would go down the ILink for DVD movies would go down the HDMI, You may notice a slight difference in the nature of the audio but I would be lying if I said could.

goodtimes

Say goodbye to Ilnk as well.
I'm getting a much better bass response playing sacd through the analogue multi in with the lx60 compared to Ilink through the ax5i.
I'm a happy man :thumbsup:

goodtimes

Just been out and got me some dm 604s .
they were the last in stock of the old s3 series,I got them for 1/2 price,which was too much to pass up on.
I will now see if I can put the ax5i back to work driving the 2 front channels.

again much more bass than my old 603s.

Neil Hawkes

Hi,

If it was me I would just connect the DVD player up via a digital coax or optical and be done with it, the only advantage of ILink is the PLQS and the ability to carry DVD-Audio and SACD, not the end of the world.

Is the DVD Audio and SACD only through I-link then? (I'm not at home to browse through the manual)

Cheers,
Neil.:thumbsup:

goodtimes

sacd only through analog or Ilink.
dvd audio goes through the hdmi or analog

Neil Hawkes

Neil Hawkes

Yeah don't worry Neil.

I'm currently running a Pio 868 through a Pio LX50 & have no problems playing back SACDs & DVD Audio discs via analog.

The 868 won't output DVD Audio via HDMI if you are not already aware.

Thanks again.

I'm on leave now, so have read the manual thoroughly. Just ordered the Arcam AVR 280, so I'm going to be buying a few more cables!

Cheers,
Neil.:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom