1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am i going to get the best out of my PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by philp_i, Aug 10, 2005.

1. philp_i

philp_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a PW6 with a scart board, component board, and composite board, also i RS, VGA- Plasma converter

Im useing the converter from sky to Plasma, the component from DVD to Plasma, and the scart and compoite boards are spare is they anything i can use them for?

Anything else i can do for a better picture?

thanks

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    I would not use them for anything, may help to keep them so you have a scart if you want to sell it on though?

You have it hooked up correctly really, you could add a scaler to squeeze more out of it, but I would think that what you have now is looking pretty good.

3. philp_i

philp_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is a scaler m8?

Also i know its probally in the wrong section but what i progressive my tv and dvd player both say progressive on them.

thanks

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    You panel only displays a progressive signal, ie it shows the whole image in one go, unlike the tv system we currently use that shows interlaced (ie it shows even lines in the first pass and odd lines on the second pass, but so quickly you see it as one image). Now your plasma converts the interlaced signal to progressive, if your dvd player is also progressive you can choose for that to do the conversion instead of the plasma, try it with progressive on and off and see if it does a better job than the plasma.

A scaler takes it one step further and scales the 720x576i resolution to match your plasmas resolution, in your case 864x480, again the plasma will do this but an external scaler if good will do a better job.
    A scaler aslo does a lot more too, including noise reduction, colour balance, greyscale tracking etc. etc. etc.

5. philp_i

philp_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks m8, where do i get a scaler from?

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    There are different brands available, best value for money (talking new not used of course) is probably the Lumagen DVI at £695 at the moment.

www.lumagen.com

Then you have the iscan range from DVDO, have a look at their site too.

http://www.dvdo.com/

And then you have the Pixelmagic units, plasma enhancher (not such a bargin imho) and the Crystalio (good but expensive)

http://www.pixelmagicsystems.com/

Then you have the Faroudja units amongst others which are getting very pricey..

http://www.meridian-audio.com/faroudja/

Plenty to keep you going for a while! ;)