1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I going to be stuck with a duff TV?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ayrshiredude, May 15, 2004.

1. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well where do I start? I bought a Toshiba 42WH63 from powerhouse in February and when it arrived and I first set it up it appeared to be not new and a refurbished model, it also seemed to have some convergence problems. Powerhouse quickly replaced it and the new one came within a week or so. Well this one would not hold the convergence so I needed to recon verge it every time I turned it on. Powerhouse contacted Tosh who told the manager that there was a convergence lock in the engineer’s service menu and that if it had not been activated then this might happen. So Powerhouse arranged for their engineers (TVRS) to come out to have a look at it. The guy appeared and in the space of under a minute of looking at it said "I've seen this before and it's a faulty chip which needs replacing". So after 2 Toshibas I told powerhouse that I didn't want another one. I had a trip into Curry’s who had a Samsung SP43W6HPX on display. The thing I first noticed about this one was the auto convergence feature. So I went back to Powerhouse and asked if they could get this one. After a few days of them trying they said no that they no longer dealt with Samsung but they had 1 Samsung SP42W4HF which they could do for an amazing £799. So I said yes to this and it arrived a week later.

It was delivered and it seemed to be sealed and not opened so I duly set it up and sat back to have a look. Well to say I was devastated was an understatement. Where do I start with the problems with this? There is a massive amount of smearing to the picture, the picture is blurred (nor just soft I mean blurred) it actually hurts your eyes to read text such as DVD warnings etc, the auto sizing mode seems to revert back to stretch whenever you turn the TV off and back on again so you have to manually put it back by switching through all the other modes to get to it, the colours are just horrible........ I could go on. So I called powerhouse back and the Manager (who I have to say has been great) said that they had to get TVRS back out to look at it.

Surprise, surprise the same engineer came out to look at it. So I went through all the problems. With the auto sizing going back to stretch he said "all TVs to that it's because it is connected with scart". With the Smearing he said "that's the 100Hz all 100Hz TVs do that" so I switched it to progressive scan and the image was exactly the same he said "I don't see anything wrong with that". I put on a THX test disk to show him the blurred images and when it got to the set up section of the disk my eyes were hurting trying to read the text he again said " I don't see anything wrong with that. Again when I pointed out the horrible colours he once again said that he couldn't see anything wrong with this. I was kinda gob smacked to be honest.

I told the Manager at Powerhouse what happened and he has been very sympathetic and assures me that I will not be "stuck" with this set. But I am really worried that I will be. If there is "nothing wrong" with this set then it has to be the worst TV I have ever seen and there is no way I could live with it. I am not made of money so can't write it off or just go out and buy another one.

So my questions are. Am I being too picky here, though regardless of the convergence problems, the Toshiba's picture was great? Is this TVRS guy a complete idiot? If Powerhouse come back to me and say that there is nothing wrong with this set and I am stuck with it what can I do.

I am actually feeling sick over this now, all I wanted was a nice new, big TV and what I now have is a complete nightmare.

Help......

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    The law is on your side, the manager will know this so i wouldn't worry too much. He has after all indicated that you 'won't be stuck' with the set. The guy from TVRS is being a genital manipulator with this attitude. If things are as bad as you describe and are demonstrable, i'd consider taking things further with company managment.

3. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    look, don't get upset about this, keep things in perspective. firstly untill you hear back from powerhouse you don't know where you stand, so don't assume it will be bad news. in any case, even if they do say there is nothing wrong with it, it's just their opinion, it's not fact and you can do something about it. you can get an independant engineer to see the unit and then force powerhouse to accept his verdict. you have many ways to get powerhouse to cough up a refund or a replacement so just takes things one step at a time and come back here for more advice when you have more information and there are plently of people who will be happy to help. :thumbsup:

4. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    You do get bad TV's and its worth persuing.. although terrible, it seems par for the course for these big retail outlets to shaft you, It seems that you are at least prepared to fight it.. but remember...

This may be a bit late, but most CRT RPTV's require at least 2-4 weeks to
    bed in..
    This sounds drastic, but effectively, the mechanical structure is metal/chipboard, and it needs time to acclimatise to your room..

As always, you need to ensure the set is 'warm' (1-2hours of being on) before you adjust the convergence.. otherwise you are wasting your time.

This all sounds like hassle, but believe me the Golden rule to happiness is
    1. Just adjust the User convergence after letting the set warm up in the first 2 weeks, and accept it will probably shift as the mechanics acclimatise.
    2. After 2-4 weeks, consider letting the set warm up and doing a full pukka service level convergence..
    3. Just leave the set for at least a week.. and if necessary re-adjust.. that should be it... I've done all mine this way, and my 51wh36 is still bang on after 9 months...

whatever your decision , enjoy!!!

As for wanting perfection, just see how many people complain about craply set up TV's being delivered, at least with some RPTV's you can tweak to perfection...

5. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I'm in the same situation with a Panasonic TV. Everything is supposedly "within specs" even though the convergence and geometry is terrible. The set has a lot of "blooming" issues, and the digital tuner in it does not work properly. (although they claim it does)

I have had to pay £70 for the set to be looked over by a certified engineer and they don't appear to have even touched the set.

I can't watch 4:3 material on this set because the geometry is so bad. (the black borders are so distorted) This set was already a replacement for an older sharp tv that I got (had two replacements for it)

The TV has some kind of horizontal interference which is a fault of my set, and not my equipment. (the problems do not show on another set via the same cables, and it appears without anything connected)

The engineer didn't seem to know much about it either "you seem to want a monitor not a tv - this is as good as any set I've ever seen"

I have even offered to pay £300 more to upgrade to a better set, as I am not happy at all with this one, but they have told me they can't do anything about it because they were not notified within a day of owning the set. :mad:
    It has many other problems as well, but I won't go into them...

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Glasgow City Council
    Address Environmental Protection Services
    Consumer & Trading Standards Division
    231 George Street
    Glasgow
    G1 1RX

Contact Tel 0141 287 6681
    Email cats.enquiries@eps.glasgow.gov.uk

7. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I know Demon has already mentioned this, but did you always wait an hour or so after switching it on to do the convergence? My 51wh36p is always slightly mis-converged when I turn it on (though the picture is OK to watch) I leave it and it corrects itself as it warms up. If you do the convergence when you turn it on instead of when it's warmed up then whenever it's warmed up the convergence will be wrong.

8. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanks for all your replies.

I had the second Toshiba for over a month and even after leaving it on for over 2 hours the convergence was still off. If I then did the convergence and turned it off and then a few hours later back on and left it the convergence would still be off several hours later.

Toshiba told the Manager at Powerhouse there is some kinda setting in the engineer mode to enable the set to lock the convergence after it has been set though I'm not too sure if this is correct.

The latest with Powerhouse is the Manager's manager said that as far as he was converened the TV is not faulty so they don't have to do anything about it. So I am becoming even more converened that I might be stuck with this.

There seem 2 possibilities. 1 this is a faulty set and 2 this is not faulty it's just the worst TV in history.

Wheres the gin.........

9. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1