1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I going the right way?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Icarus, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I bought an Arcam AVR200 three months ago and to me it is good enough for AV work. About two months ago I updated an old CD player to an Arcam CD93 and the amp is struggling perhaps more so as they are are playing through my Acoustic Energy AE1 mark 1's.

I am going for a listen of an AVR300 tomorrow but am I doing the right thing? Whilst I am reasonably happy spending the £1300 given that I wish to improve primarily the stereo, could my money be better spent?

2. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I like you have a AVR200 that is used only for "AV work" I got a A85 just for stereo which can be used with the AVR200 using the pre outs (I think) I believe you can do the same with most of the Arcam range of amps.

3. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    This really depends on if you want access to the new processing modes and video facilaties available on the AVR300.

If not then you would probably get a better performance for stereo spending your money on using an A32. This has a processor mode to allow you to fix the volume on the tape input to create an "effects loop" for left and right from your processor.

Regards,
    Andrew

4. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy, I have an A85 with Processor mode and plan to do something similar. Presumably the A85 and A32 have the same 31db gain as the AVR300? What fixed (processor mode) volume setting would give equivalent volume to using the power amp inputs with the pre/pwr button set to power amp? It had occurred to me that I could use my A85 in processor mode and a P90/3 for 5 channel sound both fed from a processor such as AV8 but was unsure if I should use the A85 as the source selector/pre-amp or just switch it to power mode and let a separate processor do it all.

5. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well now!

I borrowed the AVR300 early Saturday afternoon and gave it a good hammering till late Sunday night and I can only conclude that it does everything so much better than the AVR200. I am no techie and can only write about what I heard.

Partnered with my Denon 2200 DVD, Arcam CD93 and Acoustic Energy AE1 Mk 1 main and Monitor Audio Radius centre, rears and sub all tied together with what I am told are very decent connections, these are my thoughts:

Stereo: Greater positional accuracy, and a lot more sonic information, a smoother, fuller ride. Goes down deeper too with more control over the range of frequencies. very, very listen-able, couldn't really tear myself away from my CD's. Quiet passages were beautiful but with fuller more rounded sound and this could build up to a full orchestral blast without the amp getting hot and flustered.

AV: I had told myself that i was only really interested in improving the stereo and rather left AV till a bit late on Sunday afternoon. My thoughts are as per Stereo CD replay but the positioning is so much better, relatively quiet speech is reproduced miles better that on the AVR200 and can easily be followed when chaos emanates from the surrounding speakers. I fell in love with it really.

So is it worth £1300? Undoubtedly yes, am I going to buy it right now, no. I keep asking myself is there something as good or better in the same sort of price range?

That is my next question and will visit a couple of dealers to quiz them about this.

Good value it is, the best for the money - I don't know.

6. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I have the AVR300 and am happy with it in every way.

I had a Denon AVCA1SE before it and prefer the sound of the Arcam by far.

Everything seems more defined but not over-bright.

Arcam have done a superb job....i demoed the Arcam AV8/P7 combo last year and that is above my budget for an amp/processor and the AVR300 seems not that far behind their flagship products.