Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Am I going Overboard?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Frazal666, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone,

after actually thinking about how much my computer will cost, I think I may be going overboard. I was going for this or similar spec:

amd athlon 4400+
    1024mb
    256mb 7800 gtx graphics
    expensive looking case
    Really good sound card

not to metion the expensive cooling system i will need, the electric bill, etc.
    I dont think I will need all this, after all, im wont do much besides (if not playing games) chatting on MSN, listening to music(im getting a hi-fi soon, so I will use that instead of the computer) , having ad-aware pro running and browsing the internet, maybe using office very rarely, burning a music cd, or copy from dvd drive to dvd re-writer and en/decoding video/audio.

If I do play games, I wont be playing the latest games, such as doom 3 or far cry. I think currently am looking forward to be able to play roller coaster tycoon 3 (im quite the roller coaster fan), as my current crappy computer cannot play that :rolleyes:. Maybe even designing my own car for the NFS games (underground 1 if poss, hot pursuit 2 for sure). dont forget that I will end the applications that I do not need while playing games.

Thanks.

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, that's *way* overboard for the useage you're stating. The Gfx card for one won't see anywhere near its potential.
    The 4400 will be usefull for encoding video but how often will you be doing this?
    As you say, you'll need so spend to get this lot cool quietly. A big case and 120mm fans is a good start ...

3. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you recomend me an approx system? I wont be converting video too often, and I am willing to wait a long time for it to be converted.

4. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about a athlon 64 3700+ 1mb 939, 1024mb ram, 256mb geforce 6800gt with sli ready (so i can upgrade later), silent 550W PSU + 120mm fan + 19.2dBA CPU Cooler?

Will the PSU continuously use 550W? or will it adjust to the usage of the computer?

5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    much better. What cooler are you thining of at 19.2dB?

6. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    doent say, all it says about it is "Silent 550W PSU + 120mm Fan + 19.2dBA CPU Cooler! Super Quiet! £39

7. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you got a link?

8. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: