Am I going Mad! (probably!)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DaveP, Jun 11, 2003.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just watched the Indy Racing shown by channel 5 (sorry - FIVE) last night that I recorded on my HS2. Now I'm a lazy sod so when I entered the program I'm sure that I didn't go to the trouble of typing in a title.

However there in the playlist is the recorded program showing the full title in all it's glory: "Indy Racing League". Did I do this when under the 'fluence or is there someway broadcasters can input the program title?

I'm mad, I'm sure I'mad, they can't can they?

DaveP

2. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you've just discovered a feature you didn't know you had...

Some channels send a signal which gives the title of the programme. Your recorder will use it if it's there, otherwise it'll probably label it with a time and channel name.

Five are one of the few channels that do this (they all should). I think Channel 4 sends the info as well.

It works on my Philips 880.

Cheers,
    Callum.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a relief! If only they all did it!

Thanks

DaveP

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yep, even my mothers 'lowly' Sony VHS recorder with Smartfile does this. Albeit a bit more intelligently (don't flame me it's true) as it picks up the details from Teletext based on time and channel. Very clever and does it without fail for every single recording.

Seems a backward step if the new DVD recorders can't do this with all programmes :)

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am connecting by RGB/Scart from my Digibox so I'm impressed it did it at all. I get a lousy terrestrial signal so I never use the built in tuner so I can't comment on that!

DaveP