Am I Going Deaf?

mbren26

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I had HD installed a few weeks back and i think its just ace!

Now my question is this....

I had sky+ hooked up to my Dell 37"lcd via scart prior to getting HD and everything was hunky dorey. After having HD installed i am still using the same panel only now it is hooked up via HDMI obvioulsy. My concern is that when i used to watch sky from my old sky+ setup the sound was perfectly ok and turning the tv up to around 30-35 was suffcient. Now we have HD we have to turn the volume up to around 55-60 to get the same level as we did with sky+. Is this a consequence of using HDMI to deliver the picture and audio?

It doesn't bother me too much when watching movies as i use my amp setup for this, but i dont really want to use the amp just for general viewing.

any ideas?

Mark

yeah i have the same problem
sky sports 1 sounds louder than sky sports HD1
and BBC1 sounds higher than BBC HD

yeah i have the same problem
sky sports 1 sounds louder than sky sports HD1
and BBC1 sounds higher than BBC HD

Not Just me then!

Thanks for the speedy reply matey :thumbsup:

Yes same for me.

A little trick, but only works on sport channels i think.

press help on remote and turn audio discription on.

it brings the sound up to normal level, but you have to do it each time you go to the channel.

Must be a bug in the system.

It's been covered before but the DD5.1 output (BBC and SKY) are perceived to be at a lower volume although in reality it is down to the dynamic range of the soundtracks compared to basic stereo soundtracks.

A word of warning in that if you turn AD on you lose the 5.1 audio so only do that is proper surround sound isn't important but of course if you listen to audio via the HDMI output of SKY+ HD you don't get 5.1 anyway.

Same for me for what its woth. Normal viewing via HDMI Stereo is very Ssshhhhhhh. Need to ramp it up but then TV speakers soon show how poor they are. Normally use the Amp to be honest

i was going to ask something similar, whenever i watch the movie channels and some other ones i find myself having to turn volume upto 75% to hear it! normally 25% will do on other channels. i only sit 6ft from the tv too

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom