Am I getting the best from my HD?

Paulmwrx

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi to anyone that can help!
I recently purchased a new 1080p full HD samsung 32"TV plus the Humax HD freesat - turned it all on and dont really notice the difference! I have HDMI cables, all settings are correct. If we are on normal ITV then switch to HD there is only a minimal imrovement - nothing like ive seen on friends TVs - even the samsung upscaler DVD i have isnt a great picture. Please help:)

Hi to anyone that can help!
I recently purchased a new 1080p full HD samsung 32"TV plus the Humax HD freesat - turned it all on and dont really notice the difference! I have HDMI cables, all settings are correct. If we are on normal ITV then switch to HD there is only a minimal imrovement - nothing like ive seen on friends TVs - even the samsung upscaler DVD i have isnt a great picture. Please help:)

Are you sure when switching to ITV HD that you are watching a high definition broadcast? A lot of ITV HD is still only showing upscaled SD rather than high definition. The England match last night was vastly different between SD and HD. And Corrie in HD is a million miles away from Corrie in SD. But Emmerdale and your local news programmes will still be in standard definition.

Also, an upscaling DVD player connected via HDMI is unlikely to give a better picture than the TV would do if the DVD player was connected via scart and the TV did the upscaling itself. Most upscaling DVD players aren't a patch on the TV's own capabilities. Blu Ray DVD players - yes. Upscaling DVD players - no.

Yeah, ive just been playing with it again, the footy last night was clear, as is the HD preview channels in 1080 - it still doesnt have that 'layered' look my mates has, would the dish be a problem, its about 5 years old?

It's nothing to do with your dish; it will either work or not.

How have you set up the Humax box? Is it set to output in 1080?

It's nothing to do with your dish; it will either work or not.

How have you set up the Humax box? Is it set to output in 1080?

yes, ive changed that to 1080i on the video format. Dont get me wrong the picture is good but ive seen better and Youtube 1080 videos are better on my laptop too

Yeah, ive just been playing with it again, the footy last night was clear, as is the HD preview channels in 1080 - it still doesnt have that 'layered' look my mates has, would the dish be a problem, its about 5 years old?

What is your mate using for a HD source ?

Hes got sky, but even his normal channels seem clearer when watching Digital TV! and its the same TV!
The pictures should be the same when watching the same channels eg BBC-HD. Skys own HD channels are usually a higher resolution than the free ones (1920 x 1080 rather than 1440 x 1080). If the same channels look better copy his TV settings to make sure they are set up the same

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom