• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Am I getting proper surround sound?

velvitjester

Ok this sounds like a stupid question but basically I have an avr 1908 and my media pc was working fine and perfect 5.1 coming in both formats.

I then decided to install windows 7,there is a known problem where it will only allow 2 channel audio to be output over hdmi but I think I have sorted it.

I want to know am I getting only 2.0 and the machine is just replicating 5.1 or is it proper 5.1.

If I play a film with dolby audio the amp indicates it is recieving a dolby signal,if i press the "std" button on the remote it will play 5.1 but if I press direct it comes out in only 2.0.

Im thinking that when I press direct it should be coming out as 5.1 if It were outputting it?

Thanks
Dave

STD will allow it to play 5.1

Direct Mode is for FULL RANGE stereo audio to be played through good floorstanders.
It bypasses all hardware processing on stereo sources.
It is not for movies at all my friend.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom