Am i getting lossless, uncompressed audio?

doc21

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi hope this has been posted in the right place.

I was wondering if someone could help me with this.

My setup:
Lg cx oled
Ps5
Orei hda 927 ( to emulate an e-arc connection for ps5 etc to allow uncompressed audio to passthrough)
Nvidia shield pro 2019- directly plugged into AVR.
Onkyo tx- nr686
Onkyo ht s5805

I have tried Uhd Blu Ray movies and also UHD HDR/ Dolby vision rips( via plex) which have the dolby truehd/ dts master audio soundtracks attached and they play fine. The receiver displays " inputs either dolby" atmos/ truehd or DTSX master audio depending on the track but the output will either say atmos or DTS X.

My understanding is that the receiver is getting an uncompressed signal( truehd/ dtx master audio) from the source, however should it also display this as the output or just atmos/ DTS X? My understanding is that atmos and dtsx is the metadata on top of the base DD+ or dolby truehd or DTS/ DTS MA. So shouldn't the output also say atmos/ truehd?

I'm sure that this may be a very simple question for many, however can't get my head around it.

I have attached a picture.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 16362966750078896509289958900991.jpg
    16362966750078896509289958900991.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 127
AAtmos or DYS"X are fascilitated by metadata. In the case of Atmos, this metadata has to be packaged with either lossy SD quality Dolby Digital Plus or lossless HD Dolby TrueHD. DTS:X metadata is packaged with lossless DTS=HD Master Audio. THe quality of the audio the metadata is packaged with is what determines the quality of the audio you hear while listening to the Atmos soundtrack. THe channel based element will also be used and porayed by setups that aren't Atmos or DTS:X enabled.

If you difg diown into the AV receiver's settings, there should be an option to see exavtly what audio the AV receiver is receiving? THis would show you whether you are getting TrueHD or DD+ audio in association with the Atmos soundtrack.

Many AV receivers do indicate thie audio that the metadata was packaged with on theirr front doisplays. You'd see something like Atmos/DTHD or Atmos/DD+ to indicate this.

If getting Atmos then you are almost certainly getting the audio format said Atmos metadata was packaged with. THe only exception to this would be if accessing the audio via an Xbox, an AppleTV 4K or a Windows PC. THese use Dolby MAT to allow them to output Atmos and this results in the TRueHD or DD+ element being decoded by the source and the metadata being output with the resulting multichannel PCM signal.

DTS:X metadata is always sent in conjunction with DTS-HD Master Audio channel based audio.

All-in-all, if the metadata was packaged with a HD lossless format then yes, you'd get lossless audio while portraying the Atmos or the DTS:X 3D object based soundtrack.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply!

The signal my AVR is receiving is atmos/ truehd and DTS MA. Are you able to see the picture I uploaded?
AAtmos or DYS"X are fascilitated by metadata. In the case of Atmos, this metadata has to be packaged with either lossy SD quality Dolby Digital Plus or lossless HD Dolby TrueHD. DTS:X metadata is packaged with lossless DTS=HD Master Audio. THe quality of the audio the metadata is packaged with is what determines the quality of the audio you hear while listening to the Atmos soundtrack. THe channel based element will also be used and porayed by setups that aren't Atmos or DTS:X enabled.

If you difg diown into the AV receiver's settings, there should be an option to see exavtly what audio the AV receiver is receiving? THis would show you whether you are getting TrueHD or DD+ audio in association with the Atmos soundtrack.

Many AV receivers do indicate thie audio that the metadata was packaged with on theirr front doisplays. You'd see something like Atmos/DTHD or Atmos/DD+ to indicate this.

If getting Atmos then you are almost certainly getting the audio format said Atmos metadata was packaged with. THe only exception to this would be if accessing the audio via an Xbox, an AppleTV 4K or a Windows PC. THese use Dolby MAT to allow them to output Atmos and this results in the TRueHD or DD+ element being decoded by the source and the metadata being output with the resulting multichannel PCM signal.

DTS:X metadata is always sent in conjunction with DTS-HD Master Audio channel based audio.
Thank you for your reply.

My avr displays its receiving atmos/ truehd and also dtsx MA.

But displays its output as atmos or dtsx. However you mentioned that dtsx is only uncompressed in comparison to atmos which can be either DD+ or truehd uncompressed. On that basis, then it would appear that the receiver is outputting uncompressed audio as Dtsx can only be sent via the DTS MA track.

Can you see the picture I uploaded?

Thanks

If portraying Atmos or DTS:X then the audio qiality you hear is determined by the channelbased element the Atmos or DTS:X metadata was delivered to your AV receiver with. The AV receiver cannot change that and doesn't downgrade the quality. The channel based element is still what determines the samplle and bit rate/depth.

Yes, the image you posted shows that you are getting HD quality DTS-HD Master Audio inclusive of DTS:X metadata. THis would therefore result in HD lossless audio even if portraying DTS:X.

The DTS:X or Atmos elements are just metadata and not entirely different soundtracks.

You cannot output the metadata from a source without including the channel based audio it was originally packaged with. THe only exception to this would be with Atmos if and when using devices that use Dolby MAT. Even then, the quality would still be the same as the audio the metadata was originally packaged with.

The Atmos or DTS:X metadata is simply instructions on the size and movement of objects, the actual audio quality is not determined by the DTS:X or the Atmos metadata and will be depenfant upon the channel based audio the metadata was packaged with. Both the channel based element and the metadata are sent to the AV receiver.

Last edited:
Thank you for your in depth and knowledgeable reply!

You have answered my question.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom