Answered Am I Getting Full True-HD ?

Venomx999

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Got some atmos demo material off the internet in MP4 and MKV form. All of them play perfectly on my Xbox ONE.

However if i play the content via the TVs player, i get no sound.

Xbox is connected to the TV via HDMI ( obviously ) and the TV is connected to my AV receiver via HDMI ARC

My AV receiver supports TrueHD ( I checked the specs )

So my question is. I must not have a TrueHD TV, however the Xbox ONE is, and so is my AV receiver.

Thanks

Most Tv's only support limited formats. For many DTS and above is a no go.

That's why for decent audio format support (and video codec as well) you really need a media streamer of some sort or in your case the Xbox. Soon new TV's will have better audio capabilities with eARC and newer HDMI revisions.

Thanks @Sloppy Bob

The TV can do DTS, checked the box

Tried enabling " Atmos " in my Xbox settings and it won't let me.
DTS and Dolby Digital work fine however.

So if i play an Atmos/TrueHD file via my Xbox, what am i actually getting ?

Samsung TV's used to do DTS but apparently don't anymore to the point if you try to play a DTS file you don't even get a picture.

It's all different with every manufacturer and even, sometimes, what model the video and audio codecs they'll support.

Tried enabling " Atmos " in my Xbox settings and it won't let me.
DTS and Dolby Digital work fine however.

So if i play an Atmos/TrueHD file via my Xbox, what am i actually getting ?

I could be wrong but I think you have to make a one-off payment of £10 or £20 to enable you Xbox for Atmos via the Microsoft store.
You're probably getting just the TrueHD but I'm not sure what codecs Xbox will play other than I'm sure you can enable Atmos for a fee.
Does your amp not display the audio format that's playing?

I could be wrong but I think you have to make a one-off payment of £10 or £20 to enable you Xbox for Atmos via the Microsoft store.
You're probably getting just the TrueHD but I'm not sure what codecs Xbox will play other than I'm sure you can enable Atmos for a fee.
Does your amp not display the audio format that's playing?

Your partly right . You need to pay For “ atmos for headphones “ but not “ home theatre “

Downloaded the app etc and in the Xbox settings if I try atmos it says “ make sure your receiver supports this mode”

Your system does not do atmos.
Atmos is metadata. ( not discreet sound channels)
You have to have an atmos capable receiver and atmos speakers (5.1.x ...where x = the no of atmos speakers ) configured, then the atmos metadata becomes active and places certain effects to the atmos speakers.

You will have to upgrade your receiver for Atmos. As pointed out your current one doesn't have that ability.

'Am I Getting Full True-HD ?' - quite a tricky question to answer!

Lighting up the 'HD' logo on the front panel of your kit is one thing - actually delivering full range, uncompressed HD audio in your room is another and can cost a fair amount of time and money to deliver.

Assuming your content stream contains an HD audio soundtrack you can try connecting the Source to the AVR via HDMI and then decide if it sounds any different/better than connecting via the TV.

Joe

Thanks guys

If I play an atmos/truehd sample via my Xbox I do get sound, so is it getting down scaled ? If that’s the word

@Joe Fernand ive no hdmi in, only hdmi out

Thanks guys

If I play an atmos/truehd sample via my Xbox I do get sound, so is it getting down scaled ? If that’s the word

@Joe Fernand ive no hdmi in, only hdmi out

Atmos is metadata packaged with either TrueHD or DD+ audio. In instances where the hardware hasn't the ability to decode the Atmos metadata, the metadata is ignored by the AV receiver or processor and you'd just get the TrueHD or the DD+ aspect of the audio being streamed.

If the hardware you use to process and amplify has no HDMI inputs then you cannot access TrueHD via external sources to it. You'd need an HDMI input in order to be able to bitstream TrueHD to a device.

It says true hd is supported ( on the Currys website )
Audio processing - LPCM (2ch / 5.1ch / 7.1ch)
- Dolby® Digital
- Dolby® Digital Plus
- DTS
- DTS96/24
- DTS-ES Matrix6.1
- DTS-ES Discrete6.1 (as DTS Core)
- Dolby® True HD
- DTS-HD HR
- DTS-HD
- DTS-HD LBR

Last edited:
It says true hd is supported ( on the Currys website )
Audio processing - LPCM (2ch / 5.1ch / 7.1ch)
- Dolby® Digital
- Dolby® Digital Plus
- DTS
- DTS96/24
- DTS-ES Matrix6.1
- DTS-ES Discrete6.1 (as DTS Core)
- Dolby® True HD
- DTS-HD HR
- DTS-HD
- DTS-HD LBR

If the player has no HDMI inputs then I'd assume that its TrueHD and STS-HD MA capabilities are in association with the discs it can play as opposed to it being able to source such audio via external sources connected to the player. You'd be able to access TrueHD and DTS-HD MA if a blu-ray you are playing is encoded with such audio, but you cannot access such audio from external devices.

Ok thanks, yes you are right.
Just tested the Atmos files on my AV receiver via USB and it wont play the audio.

It only plays properly on my Xbox One ( but is this full TrueHD, or is it just Dolby Digital ? )

Ok thanks, yes you are right.
Just tested the Atmos files on my AV receiver via USB and it wont play the audio.

It only plays properly on my Xbox One ( but is this full TrueHD, or is it just Dolby Digital ? )

If playing the TrueHD audio via your XBox then you've no means by which to convey it to the Sony BDVE2100. Neither would you be getting Atmos if not using an external AV receiver able to process Atmos.

How is the XBox connected to the BDVE2100? If the audio is being passed through your TV and out via ARC then you'd be limited to what ARC can convey. ARC hasn't the abilitity to convey TrueHD and you'd be limited to either 5.1 DTS or Dolby Digital or no more than just 2 channel PCM. Some older TVs will not even allow more than just 2 channel PCM if the audio source is an external device connected to the TV's HDMI inputs.

If playing the TrueHD audio via your XBox then you've no means by which to convey it to the Sony BDVE2100. Neither would you be getting Atmos if not using an external AV receiver able to process Atmos.

How is the XBox connected to the BDVE2100?

Xbox to TV via HDMI
TV to AVR via HDMI Arc

Xbox to TV via HDMI
TV to AVR via HDMI Arc

Then you cannot convey HD audio formats such as TrueHD or DTS-HD MA via ARC and neither can you passthrough multichannel PCM consisting of more than just 2 channels. The best you can hope for in relation to standard ARC is DD+, but you'd only get this in instances where the content has actually been encoded with it and may even not get this depending upon your TV's abilities to passthrough multichannel audio sourced via external devices connected to the TV?

Then you cannot convey HD audio formats such as TrueHD or DTS-HD MA via ARC and neither can you passthrough multichannel PCM consisting of more than just 2 channels. The best you can hope for in relation to standard ARC is DD+, but you'd only get this in instances where the content has actually been encoded with it and may even not get this depending upon your TV's abilities to passthrough multichannel audio sourced via external devices connected to the TV?

Ok understood.
Sorry for repeating the question but it hasn't been answered, I won't pester you any more lol.

If my setup is not capable of doing Atmos/TrueHD, why do i get audio when I play a TrueHD file on my xbox ?

Ok understood.
Sorry for repeating the question but it hasn't been answered, I won't pester you any more lol.

If my setup is not capable of doing Atmos/TrueHD, why do i get audio when I play a TrueHD file on my xbox ?

The Xbox isn't outputting TrueHD or if it is then the TV is in some way converting it to something else that it can then output via ARC. TrueHD cannot be conveyed via HDMI ARC so you cannot therefore be getting TrueHD via ARC.

This is the problem with these all-in-one systems. You don't really have a proper AVR as it has no inputs.

Normally, your Xbox, your bluray player, a media streamer if you had one etc all get hooked up to the AVR inputs and then it has an output to the TV and you get whatever the best audio is that you are inputting that the amp can decode.
But as you have to go through the TV, the best your going to get is what the TV can pass through which is going to be a compromise of most likely just basic DD5.1 or DTS at best.

The only way you can get TrueHD off your system is playing a disc that has it.

PLEASE advise: I used to receive ATMOS, DTS X etc. before I bought my NEW Samsung Q9FN.
I don't understand it, Samsung says, outright, that this Q9FN 4K is not Atmos compatible.....but I would think I could still receive and play it like before because using HDMI I go thru my ATMOS capable Denon 3400X AVR and Sony 700 BD player which is also Atmos capable.....So I would think it would not matter that the TV itself is not Atmos Ready....to me it appears that I am going "around" the TV, so to speak for the A
udio. Needless to say, I do not get either Audio format and used to with an 2014 Samsung Plasma. ????

All your sources get plugged into the HDMI inputs on the Denon, the TV is connected to the AVR using the HDMI ARC socket.

This ensures your sources (Bluray, Game console, streamer etc) are all getting the audio before the TV so the TV cannot affect the output.

The only HDMI connection to the TV should be the HDMI ARC from the Denon unless you have too many sources for the AVR.

PLEASE advise: I used to receive ATMOS, DTS X etc. before I bought my NEW Samsung Q9FN.
I don't understand it, Samsung says, outright, that this Q9FN 4K is not Atmos compatible.....but I would think I could still receive and play it like before because using HDMI I go thru my ATMOS capable Denon 3400X AVR and Sony 700 BD player which is also Atmos capable.....So I would think it would not matter that the TV itself is not Atmos Ready....to me it appears that I am going "around" the TV, so to speak for the A
udio. Needless to say, I do not get either Audio format and used to with an 2014 Samsung Plasma. ????
Your Denon receiver is the Atmos capable device and HDMI hub. You should connect all your equipment to the Denon and then just one cable to the TV via the ARC enabled HDMI on the TV. When playing an Atmos disc then the TV is just the video source not the audio, that's the Denon's job.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom