1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

am i get pro scan from my z2?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mr ooops, Sep 22, 2004.

1. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Hi all, ive had this a couple of months now and am starting to play around a bit (due to work ive prolly only had it on 20 hrs :( )

ive got my dvd player (cambridge audio dvd57 which does pro scan) hooked up with some good quality component cable to my z2, the problem is when i goto the z2 menu to select 1080i/1035i/720p/575p/480p/575i/480i as soon as i choose one of them i get a ble screen it only works when i leave it on auto??

not realy sure if im supposed to be able to choose one of these or not or is my dvd player a load of ****e?

cheers
    Jason

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Your dvdplayer will output 576p for pal prog scan, 480p for NTSC prog scan - in auto mode the projector should just lock on to whatever signal it is getting.

For the record, all LCD projectors show the image "progressively" - the technology doesn't operate as an interlaced display.

Sean G.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IIRC from the days I had a Z2 there's a menu option which displays information about the signal it's receiving, if you want you could see that and then try selecting that particular setting and it should work.

OTOH, as Sean says, leaving it on 'auto' should be all you need, I can't recall ever having to force a particular mode .. nor indeed at the moment can I think of when one would actually need to.

Nice choice of projector BTW, I really liked my Z2. :)

4. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    cheers for the replys guys, the ritz when i change from auto and select 480/576p the screen goes blue which makes me ask am i getting pro scan as i see no real piccy quality improvement over rgb tbh,

just wish i had more free time to use it, mind u come the weekend i'll be doing a movie marathon with all the star wars films :)

cheers
    Jason

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IIRC again the Z2 displays a blue screen when it can't sync .. you could try the menu option I suggested when it's in that state too to see what (if anything) it thinks it's getting.

As for a PQ improvement with progressive, it's in large part dependent on the quality of the de-interlacer(+scaler if any) in the DVD vs. the de-interlacer+scaler in the projector .. the Z2's isn't great but maybe is on a par with that in your player, I'm not familiar with that model.

6. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    i think im making the classic mistake of looking for problems/improvements, im still amazed with piccy quality so im just gonna sit down chill out and enjoy it :) (im putting it down to the dvd player being crap with component an excuse to upgrade it ;) )

cheers
    jason

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Have you set the player into Prog Scan mode??? If the player is NOT sending PS then switching the Z2 to 480p/576p is of course going to give you a blue screen since the component outputs are only sending 480i/576i!! If the DVD IS sending PS then the Z2 is just being weird (highly technical I know) but you're definitely getting prog scan signal in auto mode since there is no other type of signal being sent to the machine!