Am I expecting too much?

Lakes_Puma

Established Member
Reaction score
As you can see from my sig below, I have a 3910 DVD player and an Optoma HD72i

I have the player connected to the projector on all three outputs (DVI, HDMI and component, using decent cables from Mark Grant and The Media Factory) although to be honest I haven’t tried the component properly as I assume (correct me if I’m wrong) that the scaler in the DVD player (high end player) should do a better job than the scaler in the projector (budget projector) so I am outputting the image at 720p and have to projector set at ‘native’ resolution.

I have set up the brightness and contrast using DVE and have a light controlled room.

I am noticing some noise on dark images on both DVI and HDMI, but the blacks seem a little better with the DVI but I do seem to get a bit of solarisation with the DVI that I don’t appear to get when using HDMI.

Am I being over critical of the performance of the projector or is a perfect image possible with my setup with better calibration?

Try using component u might be suprised, with and with out upscaling. These might be artifacts being produced when being upscaled, so I would let the projector do the upscaling to native res and see if you get the same result

Make sure on the player you are running the HDMI RGB option and you have the level in the setup menu set to enhanced.

thanks for suggestions, I'll give them ago.

When I had a 3910 I found that the scaling in my Optoma H79 was better than the 3910's. So I used 480p/576p via HDMI on the 3910. The scaling in the 3910 won't necessarily be better than your pj's. I think Optoma have looked at improving the deinterlacing & scaling on their pj's, so try 576 interlaced via component!

When I set the black level to enhanced I loose the blacker than black bars in DVE, is this a problem?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom