1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Expecting Too Much?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by eonone, Oct 6, 2005.

1. eonone

eonone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, getting a PIONEER436XDE tomorrow and STILL in 2 minds about this and the PANNY42PV500. Ive been waiting so long that I ended up ordering the PIO but after going to Sevenoaks for the 3rd time Im very unimpressed by the image it gives. Lord Of The Rings - I expected to be amazing but just looked like a larger version of what I had seen before, nothing special etc. Also demoed Master and Commander and it looked very washed out and the blacks where somewhat greeny grey. Am I expecting too much when reviews use words like 'jaw dropping and amazing etc?'

Im seriously considering refusing the delivery and continuing to wait for the PANNY, I dont want to be unhappy with my purchase after all this background work...What are my options? Is there any way I could take it then change my mind afterwards?

I wish this was easy...

2. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    i did alot of hunting and viewing on both those screens when i bought my panny a couple of months back, and i made absolutely the right choice. the pio didn't look all that great to me despite good reviews, it's blacks were not like the pv500 and, for me anyway, it was the pv500. any of the lotr films when played through either should look stunning when setup correctly as those films on dvd are exceptional quality. i watched rotk on mine after running the pv500 in for a few hundred hours and it just looked amazing, i run a pio 575 dvd with a 30 quid monster scart and it was amazing. my personal choice after my own research was the panny, but everyone is different and my eyes may see things differently to the next person so the only way to judge is spend alot of time watching both tv's and making a decision then.

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the lotr recordings/transfers are over rated IMO. try something really show off-y like house of flying daggers :D

4. eonone

eonone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes but surely that shouldnt be the point should it? I thought dvd via component would look brilliant, full stop...:s

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    tbh, i dont think plasmas are designed to give better PQ than CRTs. A lot of people see them as ultimate quality etc when they don't have one, but they are, in some areas, still trying to catch CRTs (eg black levels and contrast). In others they are better (eg geometry/convergence etc).

expecting a WOW factor is probably not the best way to go about it, although the sheer size is bound to make you go wow, especially when you get the thing home. The washed out part you mention is the one thing the panny might be better at, but it isnt perfect.

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    by the way, when HD comes, then you will be going "WOW!"

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Problem with HOFD is that there is a lot of film grain in the transfer, but the sound is probably the best I have heard on DVD, Chinese release anyway with the full bitrate DTS.

Regarding the panny vs Pioneer...

I was waiting for the 506XDE to replace my 42PHD6, the Pio is perfect in that it looks amazing when on the wall, has one cable to the screen from the media box, has loads of connections etc. etc. etc.
    With all the hype on the 6th Gen Pioneer screens of Panasonic beating black levels combined with a totally noise free image and zero judder there really couldn't have been a better screen.
    I then went to have a demo, I spent 40 mins trying to get a picture I was happy with and failed. The blacks are better, but only slightly, and the judder is still there.

So I ordered a Panasonic 50PHD8, and so glad I did, I had an nice image within 10 mins and I think that says everything. The Pioneer is absolutely superb when fed a really good digital source, but I just don't think it is much cop with anything less than a really good digital source.

8. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    how did you manage that when the 436 has only been out a few weeks??????

9. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    have to say i love the pv500, i think either im lucky or this latest batch has none of the faults previously mentioned. no buzz, no horizontal line noticeable in the slightest and ive looked. LOTR's on DVD, wow! cant wait to try HD

10. eonone

eonone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    erm yeah thats what I thought, maybe he means the 435?

so basically considering Ive never owned a plasma I should be happy either way as they both are as good as it gets for now regardless of which one is SLIGHTLY better than the other

I suppose I dont want to 'refuse the delivery' tomorrow and go through all the hassle waiting again only to end up feeling the same...tbh Ive not demoed the 42PV500 properly and it may be the same in the ambient conditions that I demoed the 436XDE in...Its just with the Panny owners you hear 'amazing, fantastic, brilliant' but the Pio owners seem to ne more subdued...hmm

Basically if the PV500 wasnt around, getting a 436XDE delivered tomorrow, I should be happy right?

11. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    if i were you id accept the 436, im sure you'd be equally happy with either

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Buyers remorse hitting early! I'm very surprised no Pioneer XDE owners have shown up to say how brill it is and how crap the PV500 is, proving only 1 thing. Once you've bought it you'll love it, unless your name is Guy, when you will change screens like I change underpants :D :eek:

13. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    The Pio is brill,the Panny is crap!!!!!

Well,actually they're both rather impressive.Me,yes I'm biased.I think my Pio is the best thing I've bought in ages.Would I recommend you buy one?Not a chance.If you're going to be happy it's got to be your decision,not mine.I'm not sitting on the fence,it's just got to be you that decides.Enjoy whichever you choose.
    BTW I saw a panny yesterday and I have to say the blacks were no different to my Pio............ :eek: :eek: :eek: I'll get my coat.

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Cheeky bugger! :eek: :D

I get the upgrade bug like everyone else, sometimes I just don't realise I have what I like.
    I did it with my Meridian processor too, sold it for £1600, tried acouple of Tags and a Lexicon and ended up buying another Meridian again for nearly £400 more! :(

15. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    :D :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Maw strikes again!

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    At last, a happy XDE owner shows up!

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    'Fess up, Gizlaroc, just how many plasmas have graced your happy home?

18. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Only a PW6, 435xde, NEC 42XM3, PHD6 and now a PHD8.

So not that many, but then that was only since last June so quite a few for such a short space of time.
    Having said that I have had more cars than that! I think I may have a problem! :(

19. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    obviously, TOO MUCH SPARE CASH! wanna share some? :lease: :D

20. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    So what was wrong with the Maybach?

21. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    It is too wallowy on the corners and the they promised me it would be nappa leather when it is clearly just letherette! :)

Seriously though, I do like getting new cars and get bored quickly, but I never loose money on them, if I don't get what I want for them I keep them for another 3 months and try again.
    I have had 7 cars since last year and so far it has cost me £2700 and some interest, and in that time I have done 48k miles in them and onlyy had to change one tyre and have one service.
    I know for a fact I have lost more money on this gear than that!