Question Am i doing this the right way?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by chaz, Apr 28, 2019.

1. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I am trying this once more to see if I get a answer I own a complete collection of Laurel & hardy films 22 discs in all. I am putting the all on my hard Drive but not sure if I am doing it the right way.This the way I do it at the moment copy the disc to my hard drive on the disc is 5 titles which I have to rename.For example Title-00 .mkv So I rename it Laurel & Hardy Name of the film and the year it was made. So i have to do this to all the films on the disc (See Picture ) as you can see a lot of Titles there all ready So when i put into my Media Player would it put the whole lot under collection Or should I do something with the films now?

Attached Files:

2. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,060
  3. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,699
    Doesn't seem unreasonable to start a new thread to focus in on the one remaining issue....

Jim

4. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,060
    Mods usually tell people off for that, especially if it’s a new thread asking the same thing again, otherwise you get 5 or 6 threads from the same person asking the same thing and the forum gets messy.

Taking it to an extreme, imagine if someone posted a thread on
    1) ‘How do I connect my ATV to my Home Cinema?’
    Followed by
    2) ‘What HDMI cable is recommended to connect my ATV to my HC?’
    Followed by
    3) ‘What settings do I need to choose on my ATV?’
    Followed by
    4)‘What settings do I need to choose on my HC?’
    Followed by
    5) ‘How do I put films on my ATV?’...etc

You get the picture ;)
    All of the above questions should be asked & answered in a single thread.
    That’s why mods often tell people off if they create multiple similar threads when one of their existing similar threads should suffice.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  5. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    But no one has Answered The question that I have asked :D:laugh::(

6. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,699
    Just stick a post in the other thread saying it's closed but you've started a new thread for the remaining question and post the link to this thread then hopefully everyone will be happy.... :)

Jim

7. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    I would name the films as per the TMDb title with the year following in parantheses, as you seem to have done,

laurel and hardy — The Movie Database (TMDb)

If the media centre that you are using is up to snuff it should automatically group them together as a collection within the poster wall without any action required by you.

Does it not work that way with other collections that you have?

8. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Thanks mtena if you do not mind could I ask you a second Q I am slowly loading my films on to the hard drive as I look at it some are in folders which I press it will show the film and year but not on the folder Do I have to put the year after the name of the film .mkv on the folder see Screen shots. Or is that OK the other files the AVI ones had to edit like the other ones but they show on the list where others do not.Will this confuse the media player at all. Hope this makes sense

Attached Files:

9. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    Within my hard drives, which are connected to a Windows PC, I will create a folder called "Movies". I now have Movies2, Movies3 etc... up to Movies9. They get full up quickly, hence the number of them.

Thereafter under one of the above Movies folders I will create individual film folders. So for the film Inception, it will be "Inception (2010)". Within that folder I will rip an individual MKV file, "Inception (2010).mkv".

Alternatively you could just put all the MKVs into the single "Movie" folder and not use individual folders.

Mixing and matching the approaches above should work and the player still identify all your movies and group accordingly. The key is to name the MKV in an identifiable format such as..."Inception (2010).mkv"

On the Zappiti that I use, there is an option in settings to group films into collections, which is on by default. I do not know if it works that way in your media centre but many do.

There is a Kodi Wiki on file naming which is useful
    Naming video files/Movies - Official Kodi Wiki

10. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Many Thanks mtenga:smashin:

11. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I have a other problem Which I hope you can help me with I thought I would give hard drive with the films on it well it found 99 could only find one posters of my L & H films could not find posters for the other 38 ( and I am only half way though them) is there a way I can fix it I am sorry to say I have a Egreat Player and I know you do not like them

12. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    The Egreat media centre works off TMDb like most of the others. You need to be sure that the films are named as per that database and then rerun the identification process. Sometimes it takes quite a few runs to get it right.

So did it identify the 38 L&H films correctly, just that it returned a blank poster entry for 37? Or were the 37 just unmatched and appear in the unclassified section?

If it is the latter you might be able to fix the match by using the menu button and editing and refreshing each entry.

If it is the former use the menu key while hovering over a blank poster and see if it lets you play about with the selection.

Have you tried the Egreat Kodi player (Vidon) to see if that picks up the posters?

If you’ve tried the above and still have no luck you’ll have to ask on the Egreat forum about loading your own posters or NFOs as a last resort. I can’t remember if that is possible or how to do it.

13. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I will try Everything you said it does put the L & H films in the unclassified section. I have got to say a big Thank you to you as I know you hate EGREAT:D:laugh:

14. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    Unfortunately I tried a couple of times with an A5 but not only was poster handling difficult, the playback was poor, especially DVD. That was a long time ago though and might well have improved by now.

15. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Need some Help Again please this concerns TV Box Sets Like the box set of the "Band of Brothers" Now when look at the discs it is as follows Disc one it has Part one Currahee Part Two Day of Days. Now there 5 discs which have two parts to each disc right up to disc 5 so how do i set about putting this on my Hard Drive & media player.
    I also have the Boxed set " The Pacific" Which is set up the same as Band of Brothers.
    The next one is The blue Planet which has for episodes to each disc how do I o about doing this one. The next one is Thunderbirds 4 to each disc. Then I have the complete collection of Likely lads Now the has series 1,2,3 with two discs with 6 episodes on each.
    Once someone has showed or help to do this I have to make a new folder called TV series is that correct or Boxed sets like band of Brothers do I put that in a different folder from the TV series sets. I am sorry to be a pain but I have just managed to do my movies right never done this before

16. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    The process is the essentially the same as for movies. This time setup a TV directory, do not mix TV and Movies if possible, some scrapers wont like it. Underneath that directory, setup another directory called "Band of Brothers". The naming convention is now slightly different for TV and is explained in the Kodi link I posted above. You rip the files into the Band of Brothers directory, using the TVDb name, and if doing individual files name as follows:

Band of Brothers S01E01
    Band of Brothers S01E02
    etc...

Change the season number and episode number as appropriate. All seasons can be added to the same directory.

When you rip, presumably using MakeMKV, it should be fairly clear which episode is which. The ripped file names usualy follow a numeric order and are generally of a similar size. But it might need some manual intervention if not. If I am not sure that I have got the correct episode I play the file to the end titles and check who the non-recurring extra actors are. It should be fairly easy then to match up those names against IMDb to make sure you are picking the right episode.

Alternatively you could just rip each Bluray disc in its entirety. If episode one and two are on the disc you would name the file:

Band of Brothers S01E01 S01E02

Links
    Home :: TheTVDB
    Ratings and Reviews for New Movies and TV Shows - IMDb

17. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Thank You so very much I leave you in peace now until When i want to know how to do 3D using Make MKV :D Have a great Weekend mtena Hope it keeps warm for you :thumbsup:

18. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    Not at all mate you are welcome. 3D is just the same process as discussed. Some people add 3D at the end of the filename to help the scraper but I never bother. The Windows version of the zappiti scraper is strong enough to read the metadata properly and know it’s a 3D file. Egreat probably as well.

19. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    A big Thank You once again :thumbsup:

20. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Sorry to yet bother you yet again but could you try and answer some other questions for me yet again. I have just done all my L & H films over 30 of them in my Movie folder. Would it be better if I made a new folder called Laurel & Hardy film collection and transferd the films from my movie folder to the new folder and would it be also do the same with My Will Hay collection of films the same thing a new folder. Plus all my other boxed TV series as well under TV.
    Would that be Ok with the Egreat player or make it harder. Please look at first folder showing how many films in movie folder. The second question ( See Photo ) shows tas follows A video followed by A movie/movies ( Do not know that happened ) and then T moves now the first ives all the details without me not having to put them in is there a way to remove or edit the A/Video one and the T movie one and also edit the A/movie/movies to just A/Movies without causing problems. see second picture Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  21. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    Hi,

You can have as many movies as you want in the "Movies" folder. I think I have 370 in one of my movie folders. There is no need to setup a separate L&H folder, as long as the individual films are named correctly the scraper should setup a collection without any intervention required by the user. The films can be on different shares if you so wish, many of my collections are setup that way. The Will Hay movies can go in the same Movie folder. Key thing is that the movies are on TMDB and any that are not you could add to to the database yourself since it is user editable and I have done that before.

I can't see any problem with having A:/Movies and T:/Movies folders. But don't have an A:/Movies/Movies folder, it is a bit untidy even if it works. Just move a few files around in Windows.

As to TV, setting them up in the way I described above works for me and I'm 100% accurately scraped.

22. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Can I swap the A:/ Movie/ Movies Folder to A:/ Movie with out losing all the films I have in the A;/movie/moves Folder. Also I need help with the folders making the A:/Movies the one at the top. sorrre about m strange answer but two of m kes have stooped working

23. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    Can you just not move the files (CTRLx) in your PC up a level and then delete the now empty lower folder? Then rescan.

24. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Sorry I do not understand what ou mean mtenga What is CTLx is or where to find it does that mean I can not chane my Movie File from A/Movie/ Movies to just A:/ movies without losin all m films

25. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    Chaz I’m saying make the amendments on your PC. Move the files to the directory that you want and then delete any unwanted directory. So, just cut and paste the files to the correct place and then rescan.

26. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    mtena I am so dumb with computers this is quite hard for me so let me tell what I think ment and this is what I did I tried to rename the movie folder to movie to movies and this the messae I have picture one the second picture shows folder which I then pasted and have a 3rd movies folderso now to o to the films on the a hard drive at the moment I press Movie folder the I have to press the second folder which then I have the films. Have just order a new kboard will arrive tomorrow sorree for the bad reple

Attached Files:

27. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    Ultimately the end goal is to have all your movies in one or more movie folders and all your TV shows similarly in TV folders. You can then point the eGreat scraper to those folders and scan.

If needs be setup new folders, share them, move your material to them and point the eGreat scanner to them. As I said above you can have as many of these folders as you wish, with as many files as the hard drive can contain.

No reason to get bogged down, no rocket science involved, just a small bit of effort and patience.

28. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    DISASTER lost ALL films ALL 200 AS SOON AS i SAW THE MISTAKE i HAD DONE i STOPPED BUT TO LATE TRIED FROM Re Trash BIN BUT NOTHING OH WELL BACK TO START ALL OVER AAIN

29. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,699
  30. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    That’s dreadful news. Tell us you have recovered the files?