• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Am I doing enough for soundproofing?

MitsiTurbo

Established Member
Hey guys,

As you may have read elsewhere on the forum, I have just bought my first place. It hasnt been finished yet, but the time is fast approaching so im trying to ensure that I have everything planned. Im going to be doing a fair bit of work, so I want to get as much ready in my mind as I can!

Anyway, would probably be best if I start with one of the diagrams to show the lounge:

1stfloorblank.jpg

The lounge is the L-shaped room.

Right... I have two neighbours to consider. One below, and one next door. You can just see the edge of the one next door, which is an exact mirror of mine. The apartment below is a completely different layout, but there lounge will be underneath mine.

The apartment is a new build, but im not sure what standard soundproofing is on new builds. So thats the first thing im after some input on. The builder is Charles Church if that makes any difference. Apparantly they are the John Lewis of house builders!

I can get some diagrams showing the make up of the dividing floor and walls as that will help greatly I would expect. Im fairly sure that the floor has a layer of concrete 'board' (some sort of hybrid fibre board thing I think) and I know that the dividing wall has some sort of foam, then a large air gap and then another block of foam on the next wall.

So... my front speakers, which are Mordaunt Short 902i's, bi-amped from an Onkyo SR605, will be on the following stands:

http://www.aivn.co.uk/

Unfortunately, theres no right-clicking on that site, so I cant get the direct address for the speakers, but they are under speaker stands and are called 'S.Stands-aivn'.

These will be filled with sand or lead shot and will be stood on a piece of granite also.

The centre speaker is a Mordaunt Short 903, bi-wired from the SR605 will be on 'S.Stand-DUO' from that same site. This will also be stood on a piece of granite.

The sub is going to be (although, not bought yet) a REL Q150e MK2. It has spikes on the underside and will also be stood on a piece of granite.

Just to add, the speakers will be on the left hand side, so up against the outer wall, not in the 'L'.

The underlay will be Cloud 9 Cumulus (11mm with 43db's of soundproofing... apparantly) with carpet on top, not laminate.

So, I would really appreciate some help on whether that is enough to stop the sound passing to the apartment underneath and also, what I should start to consider for stopping the sound passing through to the neighbours lounge.

I know there are a number of threads on soundproofing, but I was hoping for some specific advice from the drawings and info I have provided.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I want to be able to have things as loud as possible without disturbing my new neighbours!

Many thanks

John

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Hmm, I'm guessing here but do work in the construction industry, although not as a builder.

The walls are most likely single or possibly double thickness plasterboard with Rockwool at 3-4" inbetween. Highly effective for insulation and pretty decent for soundproofing too.
The floor is most likely concrete with screed on top, but it could be a board type stuff, I don't know. My guess is, this will be highly effective in isolating you from the people underneath.

I reckon your bigger problem will be the next door neighbours, although the big gap (the adjoining wall aside) will be very beneficial.

Like I said, just guesswork :smashin:

I'd suggest it's a case of suck it and see.
Make contact with the neighbours and let them know the score and ask them to let you know if it's too loud.

As long as you're friendly, I'm sure they'll let you know what's too much.

EDIT:
Reasonable kit is decidedly quieter than cheap tat. Distortion is so much louder, as I'm sure you know.

MitsiTurbo

Established Member
Thanks badger, thats some great advice.

Ill get some copies of the diagrams showing the makeup of the walls and floor to clarify for certain how they are constructed. I know definetely that the floors arent solid concrete. There are beams with sort of a concrete 'skim' over the top which might be the screed?

As for the dividing wall, im considering doing the second partition that I have read about here using rockwool and greengoo or something? Will doing this at the back of the lounge make much of a difference or will I need to do other walls aswell?

Could someone please clarify that I am on the right lines with the stands, granite slabs etc? And also with the cloud 9 cumulus?

Thanks again

John

P.S. I would consider myself to be a friendly guy, so speaking to the neighbours shouldnt be a problem! :D Problem is, I dont know what the new neighbours are going to be like! I work overseas on average 22 weeks a year, so they arent going to be hearing anything at all most of the time!

cjmyork

Established Member
Thanks badger, thats some great advice.

Ill get some copies of the diagrams showing the makeup of the walls and floor to clarify for certain how they are constructed. I know definetely that the floors arent solid concrete. There are beams with sort of a concrete 'skim' over the top which might be the screed?

As for the dividing wall, im considering doing the second partition that I have read about here using rockwool and greengoo or something? Will doing this at the back of the lounge make much of a difference or will I need to do other walls aswell?

Could someone please clarify that I am on the right lines with the stands, granite slabs etc? And also with the cloud 9 cumulus?

Thanks again

John

P.S. I would consider myself to be a friendly guy, so speaking to the neighbours shouldnt be a problem! :D Problem is, I dont know what the new neighbours are going to be like! I work overseas on average 22 weeks a year, so they arent going to be hearing anything at all most of the time!

Hi mate seems we have similar tastes in camera gear, i have also recently bought a 400D and the 50mm f1.8 lens, not to mention an onkyo 605 :D not had the chance to test it out yet mind you, we're still halfway through a full house renovation with a cinema up in the loft. As for soundproofing, we've had rockwool put in behind a stud wall in the alcoves next to the chimney breast in the 4 rooms that join to next door, and also had a stud wall built in the loft and rockwool behind that, just hope it all makes a difference. Ordered a set of KEF 3005's today going cheap and dont want the neighbours to be telling me to turn them down!

Good luck with your project mate, you've got a serious amount of kit there!

Chris

MitsiTurbo

Established Member
Thanks cj! Have you been able to get out and about with the 'nifty fifty' yet? Can take some great candid shots with it!

I think im definetely going to do some more in the way of soundproofing the dividing wall. Not sure if I need to do more than just that small piece of wall or not though!

Thanks for the comments. Theres not quite as much equipment now, I have got rid of 3 of the consoles, but whats left will still take up a fair bit of space!

Must say that your renovation was a very interesting read aswell, good stuff! :thumbsup:

Anyone else able to add to the great advice already given by these guys?

Cheers

John

suniil

Prominent Member
John, i'm sure Badger0 has covered most of the areas. Before moving to the current house my first flat was somewhat similar to yours [countryside properties].

I was running average system with low frequency effects pushed upto 115db :). Neighbours were friendly, got chance to visit them while playing the movies. neighbor above my flat did not experience any noise except very slight rumblings, when the SPL hits >105db. But next door neighbours were having slight rattling in the kitchen cupboards fitted to the party wall

I hope that helps

ben.bayliss

Established Member
Personally I'd be very tempted to build a false wall on the right hand wall (in the L recess) to mount your TV on. Then you can add further traps / absorbtion material on your side of the wall, plus the speakers will now be facing away - so the party wall will be in the rear nulls (albeit LF is pretty omni).

If you make the wall the entire length of that side, you won't notice losing a foot or two depth and can finish it off properly when you decorate.

Downwards, as you're using carpet and very good quality underlay, plus you're isolating the speakers thru the stands and blocks - I really wouldn't worry there!

cjmyork

Established Member
Thanks cj! Have you been able to get out and about with the 'nifty fifty' yet? Can take some great candid shots with it!

I think im definetely going to do some more in the way of soundproofing the dividing wall. Not sure if I need to do more than just that small piece of wall or not though!

Thanks for the comments. Theres not quite as much equipment now, I have got rid of 3 of the consoles, but whats left will still take up a fair bit of space!

Must say that your renovation was a very interesting read aswell, good stuff! :thumbsup:

Anyone else able to add to the great advice already given by these guys?

Cheers

John

Aye been using the nifty at work this morning, I'm on a marketing team so I do a bit of photography when we need shots for brochures and flyers etc, certainly does a good job for a cheap price!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom