1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I daft or is Sony?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gitfinger, Sep 5, 2004.

1. gitfinger

gitfinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Wonder if anyone has the answer to my problem? I have a Sony KD-32DX150 IDTV (3 scart), Sony DVA-S550 DVD surround system (no scart) and a Sony SE80 VCR (2 scart)

I want to record digital tv transmissions on the VCR using the smartlink feature, but for some reason Sony in their wisdom have put the TV S-video input on the same scart socket (AV3) as the smartlink in/out. As there are no scart sockets on the DAV-S550 only S-video (there is component out but the picture doesn't seem as good) it is causing a headache to connect them (I got both TV & DAV as a package). I have looked at auto scart switch boxes but don't know if they would be suitable for what I want to do, as the connection to the TV AV3 needs to be in and out but the switch boxes seem to be only in or out not both. Am I missing something, have Sony missed something by using only 1 scart for both important functions when they had another 2 to play with or have I gone mad trying to figure it out? Is there any way around this problem or am I going to have to ditch the smartlink and get in a straight jacket?

Thanks in advance!

P.S sorry if this is in the wrong forum!

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The problem is poor connectivity with the DAV system - look for a COmponent to RGB converter and put it on Scart 1 or 2

3. gitfinger

gitfinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Martin you have saved my sanity... for the time being!

I can connect the component output to the TV with the phono to scart lead supplied with the Sony DAV into AV1 or AV2 but the picture isn't as good as using S-video. Is it possible to get a converter for S-video to RGB? I found a RGB to S-video converter whilst searching the net but couldn't find one that did the opposite.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A phono to scart lead won't convert the signal from one form to the other which is probably why it looks so poor.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    RGB is different to component - you need an adaptor or a new DVD player with RGB Scart