1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

am I correctamundo in thinking?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by allyzen, Jan 17, 2005.

1. allyzen

allyzen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that the following is true ??

I have the new Sony NW-HD3 .... and love it but found something odd about the sound qualitys with the Atrac .v. MP3s .......

did a lil' experiment with me mate on this ..... downloaded some mp3's of his that he had ripped at 192kbps ...... and had a listen ..... problem was ... you cannot adjust the sound settings .... i.e. studio / live / club etc ... graphic equalisers ....

I thought my walkman was poooped until I tried an album that I had ripped as an Atrac and it was all good ..... sound options alll working lovely !!

does anyone know about this ? 'cos I'm thinking if I go and rip all my music in the mp3 format ... I'm not going to be able to change the sound qualitys when playing different albums :S

cheers people :thumbsup:

2. allyzen

allyzen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heee ... I just discovered that I am indeeedy correctamundo ..... it says so in the Manual :D

3. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Sound quality doesn't change with EQ settings. Only those who think a huge increase in bass = increase in sound quality make this reference, so get it right next time :p

Sony reduced the functionality of the HD3, not just regarding a gutless headphone amp output but also with the 2-band parametric EQ for MP3 (Digital Sound Preset). The interesting thing is though, they've implemented the EQ in a way that'll probably satisfy most people who want more bass or want the 'sound quality to go up' (i.e. boost the highs). The Lo/Hi EQ does work, but you don't get a lot of adjustability.

Any reason why you're set on the HD3?

4. allyzen

allyzen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry mate ... am new to this game ... still learning ;)

just summing it up against the IPOD it came out with far more pros .... why ? wot would you suggest ? 'cos I am having trouble with Sonic Stage and may yet return it for something else ....... love the player though :)

5. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I have the HD3 at the moment. The quality of the hardware is great, the size is nice and the battery life is very good as well, but in the crucial test of the ease and versatility of access to music, it's possibly the worst player on the market at the moment.

I've also owned the Cowon iAudio M3, the iRiver H1xx, iPods and various Creative HDD players and also have had for a few days the VAIO Pocket and the iRiver H3xx. The Cowon iAudio M3 (and the forthcoming M5) are definitely worth a look. Given the choice of the HD3/M3 at this point, I might plump for the M3 even though it doesn't feature as high a build quality. The 2-year warranty of the Cowon kind of offsets that though. As a player though, I prefer the iPod to all others. To me it's still the benchmark when the aforesaid ease and versatility of access to music is considered.