1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I correct in saying?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by vicbarry, Jan 17, 2005.

1. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Am I correct in saying that a dvd that says its anamorphic but is framed at 2:35:1 will still have the ol dreaded black bars top and bottom. This is what a Sony Hs20 Pj

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Depends on what shaped screen you are projecting it onto. If it's the defacto standard 16:9 then yes 2.35:1 will have bars top/bottom unless you distort the image. So too strictly speaking will 1.85:1, albeit significantly narrower gaps. So far the only film I own which is true 16:9 (ie 1.77:1) aspect ratio is Private Ryan. So yes, probably 95%+ DVD's you watch will have black bars.

If you haven't already read it, see the sticky FAQ's thread and look up the document on aspect ratios.

...PJ

3. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Actually, there are wuite a few out there that opt for panning and scanning the original source to obtain a 16:9 image. Most of Spielbergs releases for example, Spiderman and the Pixar movies spring to mind.

In all honesty, as long as the framing of the shots in the film (this will affect some films more than others) I would prefer the image to be as close to 16:9 as possible. Purely because, at present DVD is the limiting factor as far as resolution and picture detail is concerned.

As soon as all sources are HiDef I will expect all my movies to be OAR.

4. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers folks!

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yes Nemo seems to be 1.77, Spiderman seems 1.85 though. AR's have been debated a lot previously. On balance I'd rather have the whole picture with bars, but a 16:9 pan & scan version on the other side of the disc would be a nice addition and allow the individual to choose...PJ