1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I being unreasonable?!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by andyp, Mar 9, 2002.

1. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Tonight we went to see ‘A Beautiful Mind’ at around 8:00pm. A quite enjoyable film….. BUT! I wish cinemas would implement special film screenings for people who actually want to watch the film!! Not allowed will be the following (virtually all of which we had to endure during this film):- talking / discussion of the story, people that fidget, food - especially pop-corn (GRRRRR!!!), mobile phones, children, people with no interest in the film what so ever (but think the star is a bit of alright!), people who have to leave to visit the toilet, people that leave before the film had finished (?!), people with large heads that sit in the seat in front of you (OK - difficult one to justify!), people behind you that kick the back of your seat, smelly people, and other similar antisocial behaviour.

It wasn't until the film had started, that we actually thought we may have inadvertently walked into the showing of Monsters Inc or similar!!

Discuss..... ;-)

Andy P.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What about the cute couples in the back row!? ;)

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Andy - I don't think you are being unreasonable in wanting to watch the film in silence, without all the unwarranted interruptions. However, whilst I do not want to make out that this was your fault, for it wasn't, you may like to consider the following:

1) Saturday nights - almost certain to attract people just out for fun, and not necessarily genuine film fans like yourself. Maybe going on a Sunday, or during the week perhaps, if you can.

2) Telling people (if they're sitting very, very near you), to not talk, use their mobile phones, or much popcorn noisily, etc. Don't ask, just tell, or say "Shush" reasonably loudly. It's normally something that will get them to shut-up instantly, simply due to the sudden onset of embarrasement you have caused them. Also, you may even get a thank you from other patrons, who didn't feel they could stand up to someone annoying them! ;)

3) Complain to the cinema, and demand either a refund or tickets to see another film! You have the right to enjoy the movie in peace, and as such the cinema should not be letting other idiots ruin your enjoyment. More so, when the multiplex you went to (UCI, was it?) have staff members whose job it is, is to check each screen every 10-15 minutes, to make sure there aren't any idiots doing stupid things.

Quick insider tip: demand to speak to whoever's in charge on the night, and don't take no for an answer. 9 times out of 10, the cinema duty manager will give you complimentary tickets for at least one more film viewing, than risk you writing a letter to their Head Office complaining about a specific cinema's inability to handle complaints properly, or writing to Watchdog, et al. ;) ;)

Cinema's want to keep every complaint "hush-hush", if you know what I mean, so use this against them. If they won't offer you anything, demand for Head Office's address, and the Managing Director's name, and forcefully imply that you intend taking this matter further, as your evening/day/whatever has been ruined due to X cinema's incompetence and inability to deal with customer complaints effectively and quicly! They'll soon back down! :D

I've been an usher, so I know what it's like from both sides of the coin, and I never took any crap from any member of the public, once they were in the auditorium. It was either one strict warning to be obeyed immediately, or I turfed them out, and made sure that they didn't get a second chance to ruin anyone else's film-viewing ever again!! I used to be a right git, especially to teenagers trying to sneek into films underage / people drinking alcohol in a cinema / smokers / mobile phone users (who always maintained that their calls were life or death - yeah, right!). So, I know all the scams, and then some! Humiliation and embarrasement always worked for me, and if I ever return to being an usher, I'll do the same thing. Patrons either stayed quiet, or I made sure they knew who they were dealing with, even if it did mean making them "noiticeable" to everyone else in the cinema!

Was I being too harsh to these idiots? No! A cinema is not like someone's front room. You go to a cinema to watch a film, not to pi** around. Staff at a theatre would turf you out, without a second's notice, and I think more cinema staff need to do the same thing. People need to realise the cinema is not a place for nattering, mobile phone calls, eating food noisily.

Hope your next visit is more pleasurable. :)

Pooch

4. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Whats wrong with that. Most people I know have done that when they were younger. I would have thought that they would be the best behaved as they dont want to draw attention to themselves. :)

Darren

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    I’m wondering with such lengthy films eg Lord of the Rings 3hours, whether it would be an idea to bring back the break in the middle of the film, even though it would interrupt the flow of the film, it would be once, hopefully people would hang on for it rather than innumerable different times.

6. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Top man Pooch,telling it like it is,would loved to have been at the cinema when you did your thing and chucked Mr &Mrs Ignorant out on their sorry behinds :D very well written piece,and some tips for those who may have had some reservations about complaing,you know us british:rolleyes: nice to hear from someone who has had experience from both sides of the fence:eek: I must admit we are going less and less to the cinema at the moment,don`t know if it`s just the winter "can`t be arsed to go and see anything"mode or just the constant mindless idiots that seem to be at every performance,although like you say Pooch the best times are weekdays early afternoon or sunday morning - if you can manage these then the morron count is considerably less:)

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi All,

Thanks for the response! I'm glad that some of you felt that what I did was helpful to those who actually wanted to watch a film, and/or complain afterwards.

Ringman - like it or not, 15 and 16 year olds sneaking in to "18" certificate films, is actually illegal. You probably don't know this, unless you've worked in a big cinema, but cinemas get anonymous tests every three months.

An anonymous test, is basically where a member of the local council (and his/her family/friends) pretends to be a patron/patrons, pays for a ticket and goes into a film. The idea being, they are making sure that the cinema is adhering to strict laws and local restrictions. As such, some of the tests they can and do do include:

- Sending an adult (over 18) to buy tickets for a family of 4, for an "18" certificate film, but not being questioned as to what the ages or the other family members are. If the cinema sells them tickets, without querying ages, the cinema is breaking the law. As such, they can be fined £20,000 or shutdown!

- Sending children who look the right age, but may not be, to try and purchase a ticket/tickets to see an age-rated movie ("12", "15", or "18"). Again, the cinema staff MUST check age, or ask for proof. Failure to do so, can result in fines.

- Youngsters buying tickets for a kids film, but then sneaking into the age-rated film, they really want to see.

Whilst it may not be the biggest cardinal sin in the world, to see a film you aren't meant to, it's still illegal. More to the point, it's also unfair on adults who want to see adult films, without the hassle of having ignorant spotty-faced 13-year olds in the back rows, arse-ing about throughout the film (e.g. laughing at nudity or bad language; constantly kicking people's seats; chatting to their friends throughout the movie, etc, etc, etc).

LIke I said, people need to realise a cinema is NOT like their front room! A cinema is for watching a movie, in a quiet environment. I have no problem with people eating or drinking or talking in a film, as long as they do so REALLY QUIETLY!!!!

Also, if you talked or ate noisily in a theatre or opera, you'd be turfed out immediately, without any warning of any kind. It may not be an official rule or law, but it is one of those "unwritten rules" that we all know exists - especially if you've ever been to a theatre or opera performance. I think the same rule should apply to a cinema's patrons.

Okay, rant over with.

Pooch

8. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I suppose the thrill of seeing a film you are not supposed to has gone in these days of DVD's and sky. I remember as a kid of 12 being envious of my older brother being able to see Saturday night fever and Alien a couple of years later. My wife and I went to see "The others" on a Saturday night and we found that it is not only youngsters that talk and cause disturbance, but full grown adults who should know better. It was the worst experience of a cinema yet. We then went to see Lord of the rings during the day and it was totally different. Everyone sat quiet and there was no disturbance. The next time we go to the cinema it will always now be during the day.

I did know about the anonymous tests as my brother works for UCI. He can get me free tickets whenever I want but I dont really take him up on it as I enjoy my system far too much so would rather watch films at home.

Darren

9. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the tips Pooch!

I guess the above experience is not the norm for us, as we normally do go mid week and to the earlier showings to avoid this, and because the car park is a joke at peak times at our UCI. It’s a much more pleasant experience at these times.

Interestingly, we have the luxury of two relatively new cinemas in our city, but the other (Ster Century) we have completely given up on, even though the seats were comfier! ;-) You see this cinema is at the top of a shopping mall, and on two separate occasions (one after the other) a fire alarm meant we had to leave mid way through the film. On the first occasion it was appallingly handled by staff and ‘management’, we had to wait for around an hour and a half before being allowed back into the auditorium. All the while though, the fire alarm was still sounding yet the ‘food’ and drinks bar was still open for business as usual!! Apparently the fire alarm is a common occurrence, so we don’t go there any more.

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    AndyP,

I know all about the state of cinema in Norwich, as my parents still live there. Personally, I much prefer "Cinema City". Always used to sit in the very middle, about 5/6 rows from the back, right under the overhead spotlight, for maximum film enjoyment!

Great little cinema, and glad to hear it got the Lottery Funding it so badly needed! How's Kingsley Canham these days?!

Pooch

11. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Pooch

You'll also know that we waited for what seemed like an eternity for a decent cinema, and then we got two! The ‘other’ two we had to put up with for years were just a disgrace, I guess as most old cinemas are compared to the big modern multiplex’s.

Only been to Cinema City once (the excellent Mike Leigh’s Secrets and Lies), to be honest I tend to forget it’s there. As I’m sure you know the more ‘arty farty’ films tend to screen there, which are not really my thing. I also can’t be doing with Black & White (unless it’s Laural & Hardy!) or sub-titled films.

“5/6 rows from the back” - I’m a 4 -5 rows from the front, slap bang in the middle man myself! Like to be fully absorbed within the whole picture. ;)

“Kingsley Canham”?? - You’ve lost me there mate??

Andy P.

12. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +953
    My lady and me always prefer taking a day off work and going to the flicks around lunchtime/frst show as there's no kids (if it's a school day) and most of the time get the auditorium either to ourselves or share it with maybe a dozen other people. It's either that or get trapped in "the land of the garlic eaters" on a Saturday night which my sinuses can't really cope with any more.

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    AndyP,

Hi again. Kingsley Canham is the top dog of Cinema City! He owns it and runs it. Sorry if you didn't know that though. Must just be me being rather anally-retentive, as usual! :D

You're right about getting the two cinemas all at once, but don't forget there may still be a third multiplex over at the old Rowntree Macintosh site as well!!! :eek:

I love foreign films, so that's why I always went to Cinema City to see so many of my films there.

The ABC/Cannon was okay, but never that good. Though they did do a fab Poster Sale every now and again. The Odeon in Anglia Square, was okay, (I even worked there once), but was too out-of-the-way for me to bother with. (And I don't even need to mention the lack of decent and cheap public transport in your area, do I?! :D )

Ah, them were the days!

Pooch

14. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    And it's usually cheaper before noon, but that's not your main reason is it? ;)

15. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +953
    :D

Foiled again.:blush:

16. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I went to see Star Wars at the Odeon leicester square and was terrified it would be ruined by other people. It nearly was, when Darth Vader first arrives on screen their were people booing.

My mates and I always go on a Sunday evening as its generally a lot quieter so you can get a decent seat and the people that are there actually want to watch the film. Even so some people stil insist on sitting on the far sides of the cinema up against the wall. Is it anal to want to sit centrally for both the picture and sound?

17. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thoroughly agree with everyone's complaints, which is probably why I haven't been to a cinema in a year or so.

A while back when I was in university, we had this small theatre within walking distance of our house, and they weren't doing very much business. In fact, they would wait until there were 5 people lined up before they would open the doors, as any less, and they were losing money by just showing the film.

It's a shame, because it was a nice place and the owners were great. But, on the bright side, me and my friends basically had a cinema to ourselves. I watched quite a few great films in a near-empty cinema. I guess I was spoiled, cause the crowds at movies nowadays just drive me nuts.

And forget about watching a good comedy in the theatre. By the time the yahoos are finished laughing at the guy who fell down, you just missed 3 good jokes that were drowned out by their laughter.

18. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I have to admit that I have done this on 4 occasions.

3 of them because the film was so bad (I can't even remember the name of the films they were that bad) and once during Blair Witch because for some reason about an hour in, I found myself feeling sea sick ???