1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I being TOO fussy about my panny pw7?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by leedebs, Apr 29, 2005.

1. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Okay guys had my TH37PW7 for approximately one month now, absolutely LOVE the picture & I know this shouldn't be the case BUT even the rf picture seems pretty good, certainly far better than I expected. :)
    Anyway onto my questions!
    I have this connected to the dreaded tuner box (I know, I know!) but I think it seems ok, anyway I have a video connected through one scart & my amp going into one of the others while my dvd player uses the component connections.
    All seems to be working fine apart from when I try an ntsc dvd..........
    The image seems to drop eg: a 2.35.1 ratio film has a larger black bar at the bottom than the top.......this wouldn't have bothered me too much but when I used the same dvd on my Sony crt the black bars were the same size!

Also (& this is harder to describe) all inputs in fact even when there is nothing connected (I diconnnected the tuner to see if a direct scart connection would work) the image behind the glass is offset from the frame, if u look at the masking bars the right hand side covers the edge of the image but the left hand side u can see it clearly, about 10mm or so!
    Now am I being picky & fussy?
    I have spoken to the retailer who have been very helpful, they arranged for an engineer to come round. He said he needed to take it back to his workshop but would also talk to panasonic tech.
    Had a phone call today from him asking when he can collect to take back to his workshop. He says he thinks he can sort both problems (hopefully quickly!)
    two things!
    Firstly the shop advise that they have NO pw7's anymore & cannot get hold of any (apparently they are waiting for the g8 version to arrive) so they can't loan me another in the interim but will provide a tv if required. What happens if they can't fix the plasma, as they haven't got anymore available what will happen, will I have to accept a refund? I really don't want to do this
    Shall I just live with these minor problems (everyone else inc the missus thinks I'm barking mad!) :eek:
    I really like this plasma, I'm very worried that it will come back with damage or be smitten with other problems, tbh I'm scared to let it go otta my sight! :rolleyes:
    Oh the engineer did say he would look at any overscan for me & check for a slight tinge of blue to the dark scenes (something I have JUST this minute noticed on Layer cake opening titles!) when he has it on the bench :cool:
    Am I getting too fussy guys wot u reckon? :lease:
    Thanks in advance.
    Just for info:
    TH37PW7BX
    Tuner box & board
    Scart board
    Yamaha DV SL100 ntsc/pal progressive scan dvd player
    Yamaha RX SL80 receiver
    Sony SLG720 video
    Yamaha NS P240 speaker system

2. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could be that you just have to change something in the service menu. I have a PW7 (just) and know how to access the service menu, but have not had a play yet and do not want to give any advice that may make things worse. I also have another plasma and in that service menu I can shift the whole of the screen vertically and horizontally and also change my overscan settings, this would fix the problems you are describing. I assume it is probably similar in the PW7 service menu.

To get into it, you press the - volume on the screen, keeping it held down, you then press the status button (the one below the standby button) on the remote control three times in succession.

I stronly recommend you do not play with these settings until someone more knowledgable (possibly Horny Dragon??) comes along and tells you if you can make the changes, and how to do it.

And I have to agree, it is an excellent picture on this screen.

Abs

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Positioning the image correctly on the screen and fixing the blue tinge are all part of the ISF service! Why on earth an engineer needs to take your panel away to do just the former is beyond belief. Don't go messing in the service menu yourself - you can do serious damage in there if you don't know what you are doing and even the venerable Horny Dragon left it to an expert.

4. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    It's not the image position though.............he disabled the tuner & adjusted the pic size & position, something you can't do with the tuner attached, but the picture will not move over any more to the left......
    Tbh he seemed a good guy, certainly appeared to know what he was doing.

Don't think it's worth an isf calibration until I get the other issues sorted though do you?

Am being too fussy though?

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The tuner introduces various problems but with it disconnected I am surprised that he couldn't get it looking right. You are not being too picky! Agreed that ISF probably isn't appropriate until every else is fixed - just in case it has to be swapped out (probably for a PWD7 if they don't have any PW7 stock left).

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Why have a dog and bark yourself eh..........screen position size is always well out by default and needs setting properly (cant be done with media box connected IIRC) As Piers says there is no need to uplift the panel (that really is a last resort from a retailers point of view, costs you twice as much as on site service, so either they are Monkeys or Employ Monkeys)

7. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    No one seems to get what I mean about this :rolleyes:
    Both he & I have tried adjusting the picture size/position, as soon as you try to increase the size of the image it still doesn't hide behind the masking bar.
    It's rather like have a 10mm wide of black screen visible down the left hand side!
    I said it was difficult to explain.
    Imagine looking at the front of the panel, if I stand directly in front of the right hand side the border that masks the frame(black) I can see none of the edge of the image, now if I do the same on the left hand side I can see 10mm of black (screen type black) & then the image.......
    Does anyone get this? :lease:
    Oh & I did ask if he could do this onsite & they said that in talking to Panasonic tech regarding this issue they felt the workshop was the place to carry this out! BUT what are they gonna do?
    Shall I just wait & see what they say? Quite scared.. :blush:

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    It may be a processing error, any chance of a picture? may help

9. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    That was the words he was using...........processing error........do you think he can fix it?
    I don't know how to post a picture, I'll have a go in a bit.
    Had a look a bit closer now & it appears that the black border only just covers the image on the right hand side anyway so he would only need to be able to move it 6mm or 7mm on the left hand side to hide it.............tbh if he could just centre it it would be ok.
    Had a quick look in some shops yesterday & noticed this on a few plasmas, not quite as obvious on some but a lot had a similar issue. Phillips ones didn't have this at all tbh but they appeared to have almost 10mm of image hidden BEHIND the black bars, so are they losing this or is this overscan or something?

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    If you move the image to the left does it go to the left in to the area that is not currently lit up?

Gordon

11. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The image moves to the left & get's hidden behind the non lit part....so yes if that's what u mean. Any ideas?

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    So what you are saying is that the non-lit pixels lying to the right of the black surround never light up. In that case the technical term is "bust" and it should be going back for repair I'd say.

Gordon

13. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Now why couldn't I have described it like that :rolleyes:
    Yikes...........can it be repaired by them in a workshop or will it need to go off to Panasonic & more importantly if it can be repaired HOW LONG will it take?

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
  15. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    So this isn't dead/stuck pixels then? Bit worried now that I may lose my PW7.
    Is it Panasonics problem if it can't be fixed or the retailer? What I'm getting at is a) the panel is only 1 month old & b) the retailer has no more stock.
    What I really do not want is for the retailer to just give me a refund..........I got a good deal with the stand etc. Would Panasonic supply the retailer with a replacement in this case if the panel cannot be fixed?

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Your guarantee is with the retailer. You should approach them if you want a refund.

I would point out that I have not seen your unit. I am only suggesting that, from my experience, I doubt there is anything in service menu's that's going to fix the issue you describe. It might be that it's a simple board swap, jumper connector or whatever that needs done to get the full panel working again....or it might just be a swap out. Your first port of call should be the retailer....

Gordon

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Am i correct in thinking this is only an issue with NTSC material? or does it do the same with PAL if its NTSC only then it a proceesor failure, if it all sources then its the processor or the panel, i doubt it will be a dealer repair but i may be wrong i think perhpas a refund and buy a PWD7 would be the best option..........for you

18. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    So it doesn't seem like dead.stuck pixels on just one edge then?
    Okay guys, I guess I'll have to wait & see what he says when he gets it back to the workshop.
    The retailer hasn't got PWD's either, mainly Viera's & pioneer & phillips.
    As I said tbh I don't really want a refund anyway, bar these small issues I am happy with the panel & sitting even from 4feet away u can't see this particular problem.
    The issue is with all sources though, even with no input u can see the edge.
    The weird thing is I have asked about 5 other people did they notice it & NONE did, only when I pointed it out to them! :rolleyes:
    Oh I wish I didn't notice these sorts of things!
    Anyway thanks again for all your help. :thumbsup:

19. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'm obviously destined not to have a nice plasma set up... :(
    Just went over to switch off the plasma & noticed one stuck green pixel about a third of the way down on the left hand side :eek:
    Spoke to the service centre & he said he'll have a look at it on Tuesday.....
    said that if the pixel is near the centre then they may swop out......if on the edge then tough............ the retailer hasn't any stock anyway.................oh why me? :mad:

20. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Bump.
    Ok had a call today from the service centre, said that they had sorted the problem with the image non lit on the left hand side & will deliver it back tomorrow.
    Asked about the the single green pixel lit & they said it is within spec :( the guy did say that as the pixel isn't dead then they do have a chance of coming "unstuck" over time.........is this true? Might have to live with this (can't see it from over 2 feet away so not really a problem, just niggles me:rolleyes:
    Might just have a chat to the retailer.......though I think all he will offer is a refund cos he already said they have no more stock.
    No good to me really, I wouldn't be able to buy another with the same deal I got..........
    Can't wait to get it back though.....only been outta the house since Tuesday but I have really missed it! :D

21. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    bump
    Anyone advise if pixels that are stuck" can come unstuck over time? :lease:

22. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    hi fella,

do u get your screen back today??

How is it??

I know its different technology, but i bought an LCD screen last weekend for the bedroom and noticed a dead pixel. When i put the screen up onto the wall last night i looked again and it was gone.

Fingers crossed yours will do the same. Had my PW7 since Feb and im chuffed to bits with it - still makes me smile when i walk into my lounge and see it up on the wall...

Dal

23. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know about plasma but I have a two computer lcd's and I have a pixel that gets stuck. Always comes back on after a slight tap. Can't really recomend you do that though. Moving it about has the same effect. It goes for months then suddenly reapears. Was told was within spec as well. My plasma is ok though.

24. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    With lcds the pixels can often be "massaged" back to life, my pc monitor had one when i first got it, gave it a rub and never looked back.

However plasma screens have the glass over the front, so you can't get to the pixels and due to varying technology i doubt rubbing them would help, but you never know, it might come back on!

I think it also depends on whether they are dead or bright, i think bright ones can be rescued easier.

25. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    WARNING! Massaging pixels on your plasma can be extremely dangerous if you happen to be using Tomb Raider 2 as your background movie and you wife comes in just at the bit where AJ's boobs are right under your fingers...

26. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Yeh arrived about 2 hours ago.......thanks for asking.......er it's better but still not right though.
    They have evened the black edge out so it looks the same both sides........don't look TOO bad.............bit of a cop out IMO
    What wiv the dead/stuck pixel, the black edge on the left hand side & now have noticed BUZZING too :mad: ...........feel really down atm about this.
    Spoke to the retailer, told him the service centre said the panel is "within spec" & they seemed surprised that I was unhappy wiv the screen, suggested contacting panasonic directly to see what they say.
    Can't get hold of panasonic so I'll send them an email.
    Thanks everyone for help & advice, I;ll let u know how I get on.
    When I hear of everyone having no problems whatsover it makes me wonder...........why me? :(