am I being throttled...?

BISHI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 30 meg VM internet and XL tv package. I recently got XBMC so have been streaming stuff for the first time . Last week everything I tried to stream buffered every 10 seconds or so and now on demand and tv catch up freeze after 5 seconds...............is this throttling, how can I find out and when will it stop...?

Although Virgin say that they've no limits they do employ what they term "Acceptable use policy":

Acceptable use policy applies. Traffic Management operates from 4pm to 9pm and 10am to 3pm to ensure a consistent user experience.

How does traffic management affect me?:

We don't like traffic jams

At Virgin Media, we want all our customers to get the best possible broadband service. That means speedy downloads for all customers - not just a few. This helps to ensure sure that the service doesn't get blocked up with people using more than their fair share - which means less traffic jams.

How does it affect me?

Customers with Broadband size: 100 (100Mb) – your usage excluding file sharing traffic (see below) is unaffected.

Customers with Broadband size: XXL (50Mb) – your downstream usage excluding file sharing traffic (see below) remains unaffected and we'll soon be increasing your upload speeds from 1.5Mb to 5Mb. However during peak times we'll need to slow you back to 1.75Mb if your upload usage is particularly high.

Customers with Broadband size: XL / L / M – during peak times, we moderate the speeds of the very small proportion of customers who are downloading and/or uploading an unusually high amount. Where we improve upload speeds, we'll also be adjusting our traffic management in the upgraded areas so everyone can get a fair share.

File sharing

At peak times we also slow down the speed of file sharing traffic – that's services like Limewire, Gnutella, BitTorrent and Newsgroup (Usenet) traffic. You will, of course, still be able to use these services, but downloads and uploads will take longer during these peak periods. See our full Traffic Management Policy here.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/...YPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=

I have 30 meg VM internet and XL tv package. I recently got XBMC so have been streaming stuff for the first time . Last week everything I tried to stream buffered every 10 seconds or so and now on demand and tv catch up freeze after 5 seconds...............is this throttling, how can I find out and when will it stop...?

This arrangement has no effect on your cable TV service inc. Catch Up and VoD or your use of a wifi router for a home LAN. If throttling is applied then it is applied to your internet service provision and web/net access/usage. This would be most apparent when uploading or downloading files or other content to and from the internet.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom