1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I being stupid or what?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bobbypunk, Nov 16, 2003.

1. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a query about PAL and NTSC progressive scan
    If a player is set to output Automatically by disc type I understand that both player and TV have to be PAL and NTSC compatible, but surely if you have a player that can be set to only output in NTSC, then it would play in progressive scan no matter what type the disc was even if it doesn't state being PAL progressive scan.
    Please let me know if i'm right or being incredibly thick???????????

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi,

I have a Toshiba SD900E which is only NTSC progressive scan compatible. It will play a PAL DVD in PS but it is converted to NTSC and the results aren't particularly impressive. The PAL interlaced output however, is superb.

Steve

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it take it down to the level of Scart? SVHS? Composite?
    Or worse?
    Do you think some players would be better at it than others?

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    There does appear to be a minor loss of resolution, but it's the odd effects that it produces that are the problem i.e combing (edges of things look like the edge of a comb). It's possible some players may produce better results than others.

I use my Toshiba SD900's progressive output for R1 discs (NTSC) but any PAL discs I watch I use the interlaced output and the progressive scan mode of the TV.:)