1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I being ripped off??

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Gooner442, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Gooner442

Gooner442

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to those guys who advised me yesterday on components for my new pc, I have looked around for the best prices etc and this is what I have come up with. This is through www.savastore.com, please let me know if it would be a pretty good machine for a budget next generation computer or if I would be better off spending my money on :beer:

Processor: Athlon 64 3000+ Boxed Socket754
    Motherboard: MSI-6702 K8T Neo-FIS2R VIA K8T800 S754
    Case: Antec SX1040-B 400W ATX Case
    Memory: 512Mb PC3200 DDR RAM
    Hard Drive: Maxtor 160Gb 7200
    CD/DVD Drive: LiteOn 16x IDE DVDROM + PowerDVD Software
    Floppy Drive: Mitsumi Floppy Drive Plus 7 in 1 Card Reader
    Graphic Card: XFX FX6800 128Mb AGP + DVI/TV Out
    O/S: MS Windows XP Home OEM Preload

Price: £698.71

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    shop around at places like overclockers & ebuyer etc. you will save money buying components from diff places but the have the hassle of alot of diff delivery's. another bit of advice if your looking at gaming in regards to the 6800 id reccomend a gb of Ram.

3. Gooner442

Gooner442

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know of any good places that do base units?

4. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432

Do you mean cases ? or base units as in case / psu mobo / cpu etc no monitor or extras ?

If its cases - overclockers - as mentioned in the prior post are as good as any - and the pictures of each case are reasonably large so you can get a good idea of them.

5. Gooner442

Gooner442

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nah I mean the case and all that goes in the case, I'm just being lazy and hoping that theres a reputable company that does it for a good price and with good service.............maybe I'm hoping for too much!!

6. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    i usually get all my stuff from ocuk. cant fault them at all!

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Ebuyer is always cheaper
    DO NOT buy parts from different places, when summit doesn't work they will all blame
    a part from another supplier. Buy all from ebuyer, then if it doesn't work their tech support will sort it out.
    case with 400w psu for under £20 (I paid £15 for tower + 400w psu + neons + side window)
    I love MSI mobos
    I prefer the athlon barton 2500 at £55 (inc fan) very overclockable
    Maxtor 160gig HDs are VERY unreliable at the moment (read reviews at ebuyer site)
    Liteon dvd roms are the best you can get, I like the 166 or 167
    why not add a NEC 3500 dvd writer at only £50
    Why do you want a floppy??
    ATI graphics cards are a lot cheaper and easier to setup
    Crucial memory is far better and only a few quid more, this is not a place to save money

£400 can get you almost the same PC with a few minor changes.

8. pmccurdy

pmccurdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can try ebay cos you can see user ratings, etc
    Lots of base units (Mobo, case and CPU).

The best bargain is to build one yourself tho :smashin:

9. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're going to do that be prepared to get a whole lot of crap you don't want. I'd also read a few mags that review full PC setups, some of them give good reviews, and better still rate the supplier as well. Personally, I would buy what I want and make it myself - it's not necessarily any cheaper like it was a few years ago, but you get EXACTLY what you want.

And I'd make sure of the following:

Get 1 gig of RAM - it's a must now. Corsair is easily the best in my opinion. Try and get a matched pair, they are quite reasonably priced now.

Get a 256MB graphics card. Games are starting to use this much video memory - Doom 3 is one, and I'll bet Half Life 2 will be another.

Don't EVER get a cheap case with integrated PSU it simply isn't worth it. They are shoddily built and the PSU's are terrible, and I've seen first hand what these PSU's do when they give out. A whole PC taken out, over £600 because they wouldn't get a decent PSU. The 400W claimed on the case is nothing like the reailty. They more like 300W than 400, and their regulation is terrible under load - often causing system instability and crashes. The case you named in your list - the Antec SX1040-B is large but excellent - well built and a bulletproof, proven PSU. A good choice. Also consider the Sonata with TruePower 380 PSU - I just built a system around one and it's a really good case. Another alternative is to get a Coolermaster Centurion, possibly the best cheap case I've seen (if it's still available) and buy a superflower 4 fan 520W PSU. They are a bit noisy, but they are good PSU's. Not up to Antec standard, but I've used a couple now and they have worked really well.

I am tempted by the Athlon64 myself, but I would consider the 3500 over the 3400. Yes, it does mean trying to source a socket 939 board, which I must admit is quite difficult, but it can be clocked to near FX-53 levels. Just food for thought though - the 3400 is going to be mightily fast.

Looking at your list I'd say change the memory to Corsair 1Gig, making sure it's 2x512Mb matched sticks. Ebuyer does them and the DDR400 pack costs about £110. Change the Maxtor hard drive for either a Western Digital WD1600JB (8Mb cache) or Hitachi Desktar 7K250 160Gig drive - both are bloody fast, and I've heard some horror stories about Maxtor reliability recently. And if you can afford it get a 6800GT with 256Mb of video memory. Probably add about £70 to the price but it would make the PC a whole lot better in my opinion. Otherwise it looks a good kit list.

10. pmccurdy

pmccurdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too right !! I had problems with the first case I bought for my latest system, I thought it was the hardware (mobo, ram, etc) but turned out to be a sh|te PSU and ended up getting an Antec Tru550 PSU and a Thermaltake Xaser V case :thumbsup:

11. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i disagree about the hard disk, in my experience, maxtor are far more reliable than IBM/Hitachi and WD and there are no issues with speed. I am using maxtor for a file server at work because i don't trust IBM/Hitachi and their remarkably high failure rate, and i've always found WD to get very clunky very quickly in the past, but maybe they've improved, i've not seen one in a couple of years.

I also wouldnt agree that just because the PSU is supplied with the case that it'll be rubbish. Antec make very nice PSU's to go with their cases. If i wasnt such a tart, requiring a funky thermaltake case, i would have gone for an Antec.

I agree you should get 1gb of ram, if you're getting a fast gfx card, you don't want a bottleneck anywhere if you can help it.

The motherboard may or may not be a good thing. MSI make very fast motherboards, but they seem very prone to using VIA chipsets. I would never buy another VIA after the problems i had with the last 2.

12. Gooner442

Gooner442

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard very differing opinions on this, do these games really need 256MB or can a standard 6800 128MB run these games well enough?

Cheers for all the useful info, Im closer to a solution............never thought this buying a new comp would be so involved!!

13. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    well put it this way would a 256mb FX5200 or FX5700 run any game on the planet better than the 6800 128mb ? simple answer NO. Naturally the 256mb 6800 is one of teh best and if you have doubt's then wait save more and get a GT. saying that the vanilla 6800 its a great card for the price. doom3 will run fine on it. id say as well as ive said above in gaming 1gb is a must. on my system no game has yet to use all Gb of Ram (about 700 is the most on far cry IIRC) but its future proofing again. some geil value or cosair matched pair usually are the business

14. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The last system I built had a vanilla 6800 in it and I agree it did a respectable job with Doom 3 on high quality setting. The rest of the system was Athlon XP2500, MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR, 1 gig of matched Corsair DDR400 RAM sat in a Antec Sonata case w/TruePower 380 PSU. What happens is that when you set doom 3 to high quality the game requres 256Mb for textures, and obviously with only 128Mb on board the vanilla 6800 some swapping is required, so the game performance slows at times. It depends what you can put up with I suppose, but my mate has a 6800 GT with 256Mb video memory, and the performance on a much older system with just 512Mb RAM was much better. Yes I know the GT is faster anyway, but it was also much more consistent. So I think the time has come to look at 256Mb as standard now, because games using Doom3 engine, Half Life 2 and of course the upcoming Unreal3 engine will need it in my opinion. A bit of futureproofing if you like.

15. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    i think your friend with the GT "gets away" with having components of a lesser performance than the GT as the 6800 cards take alot more of the data on board the card itself in comparison to the ATi brands. yes swapping does occur but to a lesser extent that a rival ATi card such as x800 series. i have a Leadtek 6800GT and it plays doom sweet as a nut at 1280x1024 high setting woth 4xAA 8xAF. having althon 64 bit system helps as well :D but if you are seriously considering a good few years out of the system i think more money is needed to be spent. i know i'll have no need to get another AGP graphics card ever again as the GT will last me 2 years solid then i'll jump to PCI-E assuming that it all runs smoothly

16. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Umm, I was comparing a 6800GT with 256Mb against a vanilla 6800 with just 128Mb. This was in response to a question about whether 256Mb of video memory was really necessary. Didn't mention ATi at all...