1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I being picky re screen door from Z2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DJW, Apr 17, 2004.

1. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scenario as follows :-

Z2 projecting on to flat wall painted magnolia, producing 72" diagonal picture. Z2 has been calibrated with AVIA disc by previous owner (Ruffrider)

Source is Arcam DV89 feeding Z2 with normal cheap component leads, for Prog Scan

Sitting 1.5 x picture size from picture.

OK, the above has some flaws in terms of wall colour, being calibrated elesewhere & cheap leads, but my query is as follows.

Overall I am ecstatic with the PQ from the Z2, but then every now & again I watch scenes where I see screen door. The classic one is is the opening sequence of "Finding Nemo" where you get 75% of the screen taken up with the shot of blue sea. Then I can see the criss cross effect clearly (my understanding of screen door) . I've also noticed on other films where your get a lot of blue sky in a shot.

I even experienced the same with my old AE100.....so even thought the PQ has come on leaps & bounds with the Z2, I still see the screen door in the same scenarios.

Any advice guys, or is this something you have to live with ?

Cheers Dave

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The wall/colour certainly doesn't help but some screendoor is usual with LCD. Of the LCDs I've seen, the HS10 & HS20 are the best in this regard - negligable screendoor.

If it is bothering you I'd suggest a slight defocus (very slight) or increase your viewing distance from the screen.

There should be far less screendoor issues with your Z2 by comparison with your old AE100.

:smoke:

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,119
    I've read some accounts of using a neutral density filter (IIRC)reducing screendoor though this will reduce brightness.

At 1.5 times screen width, I would say you're sitting a little too close, so other than Kramers suggestions of a slight defocussing, or sitting further back, you could reduce the image size so that you're sitting at around 1.75 or greater distance.

Some other things that can reduce apparent screendoor subjectively are using a lower gain or grey screen, but as those aren't really an option, I'd try the above two first.

Gary.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If your picture is 72" diagonal, then it's about 55" wide ?? 1.5 times screen width, you're sitting less than 7 ft away from the screen ?? Waaaay too close.......

You need to be looking at an 80" wide screen from 11 or 12 feet away....... no screendoor, front projection happiness......

Sean G.

5. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure you are seeing screen door and not vertical banding? Is it a netlike effect rather than thin pencil line vertical bands? It is just that I have to about put my nose on the screen to see any screen door on my Z2!

6. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Same here on my Z1 i could see SDE from where i sat but not with the Z2 its' very smooth:thumbsup:

7. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This makes more sense, as yes I can see definite pillars of darker & lighter blues on any shots of sea / sky. As for distance from screen I meant 1.5 times 72". I have tried further back & can still see them. Ah well , it's only on shots where there are vast expanses of the same hints of colours, so not continous

Plan is to paint wall with Icestorm as recommend on this site, until I'm ready for some GOO. Also invest in some decent leads.

I'll have a scan round the site re VB ... could we replace :rtfm: with RTFF ....with last word being "Forum" :D

Cheers for advice guys

Dave

8. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does sound like vb. Have a look in the "Projector FAQ" sticky for Buns immortal ( :) ) Z2 calibration guide. Tells you how to minimise vb.

9. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that & :beer: to Buns for the guide !

10. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    moved to a more relevant thread