Am I being daft???

calypso69er

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just been over to a friends house, who's just got a telewest TV drive to go with his snazzy 40" Bang & Olufsen LCD tv. The only HD channel he seemed to have is the BBC HD channel, which was showing the Proms, but I waited with great excitement as he switched it on. I couldn't believe my eyes, as there was virtually no difference from regular BBC1. Sure, up close it kept it's sharpness, but from a normal viewing distance it just looked "normal". Now I've not got dodgy eyesight, I'm not a mental case, It's a very expensive TV etc, but it's making me question if I want my SKy HD install to go ahead.
Am I being daft????

No - HD is more noticeable through a large screen TV/projector - most 30-40 inch TVs will not how a massive improvvement over regular TV (having said that, I have seen some plasmas take on an almost 3d effect when with HD source at 35-40" so not every TV is the same.

HD is 'best' on a larger screen - and when put out on a good/proper bit rate by Sky/BBC is awesome!

Cheers :hiya:

dunsters said:
No - HD is more noticeable through a large screen TV/projector - most 30-40 inch TVs will not how a massive improvvement over regular TV (having said that, I have seen some plasmas take on an almost 3d effect when with HD source at 35-40" so not every TV is the same.

HD is 'best' on a larger screen - and when put out on a good/proper bit rate by Sky/BBC is awesome!

Cheers :hiya:

Thanks Dunsters, I've only got a 32" screen, so i think I'm now even closer to cancelling.
Cheers!

I don't subscribe to the view that a screen bigger than 40" is needed to see the benefits of SkyHD. I have the Tosh 32WLT66 with SkyHD and believe me, the PQ on HD channels is far superior to that available through SD and is more than noticeable.

The films, sports and BBCHD previews (and Planet Earth) have been excellent PQ and DD 5.1 sound - don't think that this is exclusive to the larger sets!

If you want a real demonstration of the benifits watch some football on ITV then watch it on any HD channel....it will not matter what size TV you watch on you will see the difference

Whilest it might be better on a big screen, i've got the Toshiba 32wlt58 and believe me hd on this set looks fantastic :D So glad i've got hd, i wouldn't be without it now, just wish there was more programmes :lease:

I have a Toshiba 37wlt58 hd looks great on mine. i have seen the proms on bbchd, just to check the PQ looked fantastic on my sky hd box. wait tell you see star wars revenge of the sith in hd, wow.:smashin:

calypso69er said:
I've just been over to a friends house, who's just got a telewest TV drive to go with his snazzy 40" Bang & Olufsen LCD tv. The only HD channel he seemed to have is the BBC HD channel, which was showing the Proms, but I waited with great excitement as he switched it on. I couldn't believe my eyes, as there was virtually no difference from regular BBC1. Sure, up close it kept it's sharpness, but from a normal viewing distance it just looked "normal". Now I've not got dodgy eyesight, I'm not a mental case, It's a very expensive TV etc, but it's making me question if I want my SKy HD install to go ahead.
Am I being daft????
I have a panasonic 42" plasma and I can tell you HD is great PQ is first class all I want is more channels:lease: are you sure your friend has it set up right:oops:!

yep you sure it was set up through component or HDMI??

also you have 30days to cancel so get it and see if its worth if not cancel it

calypso69er said:
I've just been over to a friends house, who's just got a telewest TV drive to go with his snazzy 40" Bang & Olufsen LCD tv.
Are you sure you're friend's TV was a HD resolution model? It may be only Standard Definition.
The BeoVision 4-37 has a resolution even lower than our standard PAL resolution with just 852 x 480 res (equal to NTSC). So having a HD signal is not enough unless you have a HD resolution TV to watch it on.

Also read this link where it says many B&O TVs are really re-branded cheapo Taiwanese TVs!!! Makes you wonder!
See: http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large_Display/LCD?Article=/TVs And Large Display/LCD/S3S7U2N7

i had the 32 " sharp aquos hd tv and then i changed it to a 50" sagem dlp, and i think there is a massive improvement on the 50" so i think to enjoy hd at its best , bigger is definatley better :)

Panasonic 32 inch (TX32-LXD60) is excellent in displaying HD and there is a big difference on even this 'tiny' screen to SD. Watching the cricket now and I can't even bear to think of going back to prehistoric SD...:D

Thanks to everyone who's replied. To answer a couple of questions regarding his TV, he says it's only a month or so old, it's connected via a hdmi>dvi cable (set only has a dvi in socket, no hdmi) but he reckons it'll only display 720P (not 1080i). He reckons the picture is fab, but I disagree!
Thanks guys!

ps I showed him the link to the article saying B&O tv's are rebranded cheapos and he visibly flinched (tee-hee).

At 92" HD does look pretty damn good.. I'm not convinced it's that big a win at 37" unless you're right on top of it (although switching between the two you can definately see the difference).

SD quality makes a difference too - on both my TV and PJ the video processors can make SD look excellent (and anything that can make SD look excellent when blown up to 92" gets my respect...). If you have a TV which has poor SD then HD will look a lot better.

B&O have always sourced 'normal' TV components. The tube in my MX model was made by Ferguson. Just like a computer, the chips etc. come from all over the place. What B&O have always done is provided excellent value added by spending time setting up the tube geometry etc., and ading a few extra bits and pieces so that the end result was markedly better than the competition (even the same tube in another brand of TV).

If they source the whole set from elsewhere like the article suggests, I would want to know what value added service they are offering - if it just an off-the-shelf rebrand then it will be pretty dire.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom