1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I asking too much?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by windfall, Jan 12, 2004.

1. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hello All

I am putting together a decent home cinema experience, I have reached the point where I want to automate as they say.

I am therefore looking fro a remote that can do all the usual stuff, I reckon another pronto will sort me out, but what else in addition to a pronto do I need in order to;
    1. Drop and raise an electric screen
    2. Dim and raise light levels.

My utopia is I press play on dvd and the screen drops, amp turns on to DVD PJ turns on and selects input and finally the lights dim.
    Then if I press another button, it pauses the DVD and sky+ but turns up the lights to allow trip to loo during Lord Of Rings etc. then press play and the lights drop and the DVD resumes.
    The All Off would be usefull where everything shuts down, and the screen is retracted.

In order to operate lights and screen what do I need. Another member "Dodgy" came up with the screen solution using a fob, but unfortunately that key fob wont allow another remote.

Hope some of you can point me in the right direction. I have been looking at Futronix and Lutron light control panels but need a remote as mentioned.

Cheers

Tony

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    For the mutz nuts try looking at Crestron and AMX systems. They are the holy grail of control they will flush the loo for you turn of the light close the door and put the cat out!
    Lutron Gaffic eye is good and has settable levels. also futronix etc gliss (electric gliss???) curtain rails etc Macro up for All on etc Triggered or IR screens easy to come by. X10 RF controllers for Sub etc. loads really depending on budget, also look at Harmony and Marantz remotes.

3. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You might want to try Maplin - they have a couple of IR controllable projects which would fit your needs.

As for the lights, have a look at the Varilight range of IR controlled dimmer switches.

4. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    tonetrainer

I am trying to achieve something similiar albeit on a smaller scale

it is achievable and you do not have to buy the expensive creston/amx systems that horny dragon mentions.

basically all the events you want to trigger via pressing one button are called a macro, there are home automation software packages that can be purchased that will allow you to integrate and control all your a/v/security/lighting/air conditioning/projector screens via your home pc and they dont cost a fortune and are not properiatry.the package i am looking at is called charmed quark software.

essentially for this to work firstly the devices you want to integrate must be compatible ie able to be controlled via rs 232,usb,ir etc you need to network all your a/v devices, in the same way you would with computers.the problem is that all these devices are developed and used as stand alone products with little or no thought to home integration the software program i am looking at addresses this and tries to put them all together...

check out chirpychips posts on this board especially the USB UIRT thread as he is also carrying out a similar project

i can vouch for the lutron graffikeye light control option expensive but worth it and easily integrated into overall home automation system

best of luck...:smoke:

5. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks for your points of view guys.

I was hoping to keep costs down a bit. I figure a Pronto 950 for £230Inc a light panel for about another £200, NexNix mentioned to me that they sell an Infra Red remote for my screen for £130, but the issue I have noticed is that the pronto needs X10 codes to control lights?? Is this true? If so what else apart from the above would I need?
    I also found the Futron lighting panel this seems a bit cheaper to buy than the Futronix and I found some decent details on letsautomate.com.

Its taken me a couple of years and a partner who happily goes halves on most kit except the now "extravagence" spendings, although she spent £50 on soaps in John Lewis to make the bathroom look nice - extravagance - me?

Tone
    Any pointers would help

6. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Easy to do on the cheap - I know, I've done it :clap: :clap:

You need one of these to receive the IR from the Pronto.

One of these to control your screen

Some of these to control your plug in lamps.

For you main room lights you need to think about what you want to use. These are drop in replacements for normal switches. I use Non X10 remote dimmers for mine as I don't like the look of them and didn't fancy rewiring to use anything else. I use these

Watch out for dimmers that need a neutral at the switch - most UK houses don't have a neutral at light switches.

Cheers
    Kevin.

7. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Kevin, I have followed the links thats great.. I want to control just the main lights that are hardwired into the lounge.
    Currently we have 3 switches on our light switch panel. These are for 4 240V halogen downlighters in ceiling, 2 in fireplace and 2 100 watt (each) linear wall lights.

I notice the panels you referred me to only seem to handle one switch.
    My understanding on this is not clear, I have 3 sets of lights that are independant from one another (ie each has a switch), are these 3 circuits?

I would like to control all of the lights - hence perhaps the need for a futronix/lutron panel...I'm not sure. I will speak to the sparky who did the wiring in the house to find out how many circuits and what they are, but going back to the light panel, it looks like it only handles one switch with one light?

Am I correct?

Thanks

Tony

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    These TLC touch dimmers are great - I've had mine for just over a year.
    They are controllable from a remote, but I don't think you will get them to dimm to off via a macro. It will just switch them on or off as you need to hold the button for them to dim. There is also no discrete codes for on & off.
    The link above shows a double dimmer, but they do not AFAIK do a treble. Only single & double.

Mark.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Lutron Graffic Eye will do 4 circuits IIRC and has preset level etc for mood which can be manually or IR operated.