Am I alone?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by IanB, Jan 8, 2002.

1. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I the only one with any Technics kit here? Everybody seems to be talking about Yamaha, Denon, Toshiba etc, so what is the verdict on Technics?

I mentioned to a friend in Australia that I had bought Technics and they said it's not a well respected make over there.

Any body got thoughts? I shan't be offended :D

Kit:
    A10 DVD Audio Player
    SA-AX730 AV Amp
    Eltax speakers.

2. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would you do if someone said 'yes'? :confused:

3. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I was always under the impression that Technics was the audio branch of panasonics parent company Matsu****a. I know several people that have Technics gear and have been happy with it.
    I'd say they are a quality budget level audio outfit

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    The Technics don't seem to get very good write ups in the mags. My first AV amp was a Technics back in 94 and I thought that it was good until I upgraded to a Yamaha which I noticed was significantly better.

That was a few years ago though.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I don't own that much A/V or H/C gear yet but I do have my wish lists, Technics are at the top of the afforable list, I know that Linn Tag and some brands i had never even heard of are much better but you guys seen to have spent more on Home cinema than I did on my car. I still think that Technics can give Sony, JVC, Kenwood etc, a good run for our money, and after all how much time do you spend watching films, I understand the passion but all I want is more than a Nicam TV Video but but i really don't want a UCI in my front room? There is one quite close to where I live. I have other inerests that suck up my valueable cash, the missus is one (no pun or offence intended Mr Moderator), the ntl bill is enough of a problem for me, as I type this on my laptop down a 512kbps cable modem, I do have a full user - user 100Mbps network in my house, that might explain some of it. If Technics are that bad well tell me where else i can get a DD & DTS receiver 100W 5 channels 3 digital ins and all for a shade over £200 quid, that is DVD audio ready and comes with a learning remote. I'll happily have a listen, But for now;

Let the Technics brothers unite and stand strong for oneday we will rule the Earth.

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Just take a look at www.richersounds.co.uk for some great bargains that will outperform Technics.
    Nothing wrong with Technics, but you really can get much better stuff by looking around.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Many people also spend a great deal more time watching their televisions than in driving their cars.

The vast majority of us that regularly visit this forum do not own mega expensive Tag amplifiers and Barco projectors although some do.

Most of us have the sort of kit that is affordable if you give it a high enough priority in your life.

I have a UCI near me too and I can't smoke or drink in it and invariably have a giant with flu eating crisps sitting in front of me blocking my view.

Now those really are luxuries that I can live without and I wouldn't dream of spending what you have on a latop and cable modem.

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Also try for starters-

www.superfi.co.uk
    www.hispek.co.uk
    www.hifibitz.co.uk
    The PRC site, can't remember the url at the moment.

There are many more, look in the mags for all the adverts. Serious bargains to be had. Or for £300, look in the classifieds and get those Yamaha A1/A2 ampps out there. Serious value and will kick any lesser kit into touch.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I guess I want to have my cake and eat it, I have a soft spot for panasonic/ Technics, its all the old-man will ever buy so i guess it rubbed off. Besides Cable modem and laptop (I got for a very good price) are very useful at reaseaching these things, and I agree about UCI thats kinda why I want a Set up. You may convince me yet when I get some spare time I'll go and have a Listen but I'm so far very unimpressed with Richersounds Cardiff branch has had me fuming on more than one occaision.

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Horny,

Richer Sounds are not really a Hifi / AV shop - they are more like box shifters. They are very good if you know what you want and they sell very competitively priced gear.

Technics, JVC and other well known Japanese companies tend to trade off their name and will always outsell Denon and the like because they will have Curry's and Comet selling them.

When it comes upgrade time for you, listen to a Technics and then listen to a Yamaha, Marantz or Denon at the same price point and see if you can tell the difference.

12. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,061
    pah....spend more money on A/V equipment than a car......well erm....must of spent over £4000 on A/V equipment in the last 3 years and about £2500 on DVD's....don't reckon you could get decent car for that amount, and be able to afford to run it......

13. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Nice 2CV, low mileage, one lady owner.:D

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    How could any car be "nice" if it has had a lady owner

15. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about motorbikes??!:eek:

I've definately spent more money on motorbikes in the last few years than I am likely to ever spend on hifi/ home cinema kit.

Cars are just transport (IMO of course), but you can get passionate about music, and films, and going 170mph on a racetrack. I never let a big fat guy stay in front of me on the racetrack :D

16. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My home cinema budget is getting close to my Harley-Davidson´s... But then, I spend more time on my couch than on the Hog... :D

17. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I still count myself as a student, when my 'interest' in HC began. What a grand time that was, just me, my 21 inch mono TV, my nicam vcr and my dolby pro logic midi system and terrible eyesight.

Happy to say things have improved since then, have probably spent just over £1000 (more like £1500) in the last 18 months, through strong will power, endless saving, lots of calculated cunning and very careful bargain hunting to put together a very nice not-so-budget system. Just need to finish getting together some top speaker wire and then I can think about upgrading. :D

And maybe some DVD's if I have any money left over.

I still spend more money on beer than on HC though.

BTW, didn't care for Techinics stuff even when I was a proper student.

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Ok guys looks like this is going to need a bit more thought.

Pointon WOW i have a 21 inch mono at the mo but thats a space issue,

I admit my car is Sh-one-t but it was cheap and a lady owner.

One thing is my local dealer where I'm from originally is a big Panny Technics dealer Downing and Downing Stourbridge.And after years of slobbering on the window at some nice Linn, B & O gear I find myself possibly able to afford the cheapo version, doing Electronic Systems Engineering has pushed more into the whole HC AV stuff and I thought it would be cool The missus likes films so I thought she can watch I can fiddle on a sunday and watch the rugga? I want something better than you find a powerhouse and am a bit of an internet bargain hunter and get some huge Barclycard bills.

What to do? what to do?

The missus reckons I'm tone deaf and Technics would probably suit me just right oh well I hope you enjoyed taking the P I 55 out of a newbie may some day i'll own TAG gear and do the same.

19. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Good effort HD! I like ur style.............

20. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Get yourself some research material 'dragon, and you'll soon be hunting down preferred alternatives to Technics kit on the net.

This is the time in every HC obssessive's life that mags like HCC and What Hi-fi and their buyers guides were invented for.

P.S. Richer Sounds are terrible for anything but buying stuff you know for certain you absolutely want to buy. In my opinion, they are no good for asking advice from, and no good for demo'ing with. When you know what you want for sure, and can find it in RS for cheap, go get it. But when they tell you they don't have it in stock and advise you on an alternative from a make you've never heard of, or inform you that a further £20 needs to go on the advertised price, or pull that stupid face... get out of there.

Go get a demo from a decent Hi-fi/AV place, or better still, try loaning some stuff to try out at home. Then look for what you want as cheaply as you can. That's what I did.

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He's right dragon, Richer sounds are useless when it comes to advise. . As for budget i bought a new car last year. I own my HC gear out right, i'll own my car when i'm 85 at this rate. I dont collect dvd's It's sort of like when you play a song you love to much you go off it (or at least i do) so i prefer to just rent them. £2500 ON DVDS? I'm not at that stage yet.

My kit:

Amp: sony DB940
    TV: SONY WEGA 28 W
    Minidisk:sony JB940
    DVd: panasonic a560
    Fronts: B&W 601s3 on atacama nexus 6 stands
    Rears: Mission 77ds
    Cable: Qed silver anniversary
    Av stand: Optimum 2000 av300
    centre: B&W lcr60 s3
    Round about £3000

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I'll lay it on the line I've got £500 to spend max this year (2002) and i thought that an SADX950 £210 a pair of mission M72 £120 or M73 £140 and a Panasonic RV31 (MR) £170 would be a good place to start on the home cinema route. Build it up over 2-3 years and then buy a plasma screen when all the bugs have been ironed out and priced at £2K ish then upgrade 1 component a year until I have the dogs B0||ock5.

I was going to buy a MIDI !!!!!! then thought separates, then thought well for the price of a cheap Tuner and amp get a receiver. Liked the Kenwood 5050 looked around and SADX950 was much better spec the only real alternative is Yammaha 396.

That was my train of thought, DVD audio ready, 100w DTS, DD and Mos-fet, so it looked good. To me anyway.

Ok its sound that counts but what the hell.

Have a chuckle at this went to Downing and Downing local respected dealer and and asked to demo the above kit. SALESMAN TOLD ME "WHEN YOU HAVE HEARD ONE dd SETUP YOU'VE HEARD THEM ALL" Haven't been back!!

Plus they were at least 20% more than most web retailers.

If you can point me in a better direction go for it but I think after 9 Months of research there is little left in the money only performance can be enhanced.

23. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An interesting thread has developed and after reading all the comments this is what I find:

566 views of the thread (at 8.34am 11/1/02)
    21 replies (not inc this one)
    1 person (Horny Dragon) with Technics kit or thinking of purchasing

Therefore the answer to the thread title is:

YES - I am alone.

But that's not a problem and I'm not rushing out to buy other kit, I just wanted to know why nobody talked about the make and it's because nobody's got any :p

I can take on board everything folks are saying about their kit, I've really only heard low end systems before (I mean the all in one moulded jobs that were the vogue in the 80's) so moving up to Technics gear was a vast improvement.

Why Technics in the first place anyway? Well, about 12-13 years ago my Mom decided to chuck out the old ITT record deck and get something with a radio/tape/record deck, at the time I bought What HIFI and read the reviews. Technics had a system out called the X1 (I think) basically a bunch of midi size separates but integrated with each other around the amp. Compared to what they were looking at it was far superior - I pestered and pestered and finally Dad gave in to the extra spend. My 21st Birthday came up and I put all my Birthday money togther and bought (from Downing and Downing funnily enough) my first CD player - again a Technics. In all that time nothing, (and I repeat) nothing of that kit has failed, Mom doesn't use the record deck anymore because all her music is on CD, but fire it up and it plays as good as it ever did.

Now kit that holds up like that earns my respect. I'm sure other makes do to but I haven't had that experience and I wouldn't expect anybody to move to Technics just on my say so, however I must say it's a brand that has my loyalty.

If and when I upgrade I'll give other makes a look over however if I can't hear or see any difference I will probably stick with Technics. When that will be I don't have a clue, I'm in the process of renovating a 16th century cottage and in the past 4 years have probably spent in the region of £20k with easily the same amount to spend to finish it and the 1/2 acre garden.

My upgrade path might take a tad longer than everybody else :D

24. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,061
    well i will be upgrading this year, don't know what budget, but will be in the region of around €5000 or there abouts.

Probs buy a TAG AV32 processor and a new power amp.

25. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

I have been buying hifi for over 20 years, then Technics was one of the rulers, I did own a Technics turntable, very sexy piece of gear, just the size of an LP, my father used it until he passed away 2 years ago, without any problems, still around my house...

The thing is that in Europe we tend to prefer a sweeter sound, and the Technics can sound harsh to people used to Brit gear, but they are as good as any other in its price range, so, if you are used to that, no problem with sticking to it...

Enjoy... :cool:

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Sorry don't know how to quote properly.

"Why Technics in the first place anyway? Well, about 12-13 years ago my Mom decided to chuck out the old ITT record deck and get something with a radio/tape/record deck, at the time I bought What HIFI and read the reviews. Technics had a system out called the X1 (I think) basically a bunch of midi size separates but integrated with each other around the amp. Compared to what they were looking at it was far superior - I pestered and pestered and finally Dad gave in to the extra spend. My 21st Birthday came up and I put all my Birthday money togther and bought (from Downing and Downing funnily enough) my first CD player - again a Technics. In all that time nothing, (and I repeat) nothing of that kit has failed, Mom doesn't use the record deck anymore because all her music is on CD, but fire it up and it plays as good as it ever did. "

This is the kinda story that attracted me to Technics, In my case my Dad bought Technics to replace his B & O compoents about 4 years ago, still got the amp though, and the speakers circa 1974, wonder why no one else has this to say maybe we are two isolated cases?

27. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,061
    no, i too have simliar story.

My partner's family are the original founders of Spendor speakers. Although they sold the company to ex-audiolab boss, a couple members of the family still work there as designers. As you could imagine when i was in the market for some new speakers and i mentioned that i bought B&W...bloody hell, i though they were gonna shoot me!! All i can remember when i said i bought new speakers, "They better not be KEF!!".....and i shook my head......then "They better not be B&W".....oops....and i nodded....they are starting to forgive me now, but i do use some SP2/2 as my main front speakers.

www.spendor.co.uk

28. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why? Purley because of trade competition or do they know something we don't?;)

29. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Horny

At the end of each post is a 'quote' button, hitting the quote button copies the reply and wraps in in [ quote ] tags.

Add your comments underneath atfter the ending [ / quote ] tag.

30. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,061
    LOL...no its like the manager of Ford, then going and driving a Volkswagen....!!

They want all family members to use Spendor.....LOL...but i broke the mould!!