1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I alone?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Garfield, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am upgrading all my AV gear and have spent hours trawling through these forums and visiting dealers and I confess I am more than a little stressed, particularly after spending an hour on the phone this morning to a 'quality' dealer in Manchester.

There seems to be real a 'snobbery' sorrounding one make or another in the dealers and among the individuals I have met in some of these places. Is there a contest to see who can spend the most - the 'My amp cost more than yours' snobbery, are these people really looking for quality or status?.

I also have a real frustration with dealers, they offer you good deals on amps but then give you a load of old BS about your speakers not being up to it and need to be much better blah blah blah ... or they go the other way and say 'your speakers need a much better amp than that'.

If I buy the most expensive speakers I can afford and get an absolute steal deal on an amp why should I refuse it and settle for lower specifications simply because my speakers (according to some) aren't up to it - after all they can be upgraded later and the higher spec amp provides a bit of 'future proofing'.

Besides if I wait until I can afford the absolute totally matching system (an unacheivable utopia anyway if you ask me) I will never buy anything ....

Am I alone in these frustrations?.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Perhaps it's down to the dealer...

I've bought all my recent gear (CD player, DVD player, Amp, Power Amp and speakers) from a single dealer with a retail shop despite the fact that I could have got them all cheaper on line.

Why?

Because he's never tried to sell me something I didn't want but has, when appropriate, suggested alternatives - but never hugely more expensive (and he does sell some VERY expensive kit). I can always get a loan of anything I want to buy. All the staff in the shop are very helpful and, after all the time I've spent there, all recognise me and I'll sometimes just stop for an AV related chat if I'm passing.

I don't think it matters how much you spend - you'll always think it could sound better but there comes a point where you have to say enough is enough and that it sounds good enough to you.

John

3. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I for agree with Garfield…you want my opinion on this personal I don’t like there attitude it’s are money and there are ways around this just Buy a pucker Dolby digital surround-EX dts-ES with THX certification like the THX select there are quite a few at very low price compared to around 15 years ago the processor alone would set you back some £2000.00 wow! And now you can get THX in the whole package for a lot less with micro processor chips having declined in cost… :)

Now you can buy them for £450.00 to £600.00 WOW that's more like it spot on...

But you have show the dealer in the showroom want your looking for and if they cant get it it’s on to the next and so on tell your find one that not like all the rest he understands and will go out of his way to find want your looking for and demonstrating the way you want to see want it can and can not do…

Ashley… :)

4. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I have to agree - I've been in a local store about 6 months ago and they categorically told me that a HDMI-DVI cable didn't exist. I told them that Monster do them for starters only to be told "We don't sell Monster cables."

Trying to tell them that in fact that it does exist, but they don't sell them or stock them IS actually a very different thing and they just look down their nose at you.

With referencing to Stuart's thread about going to dealers - it's a catch-22. They will only sell you what they stock, which may not be the best thing for you. With such snobbery by certain stores, no wonder people flock to the net and order, ask other users for help and so on and so forth. I asked Sevenoaks about Marantz and Onkyo amps and as they didn't sell them, they got effectively slated and I'd be better off with a Pioneer, HK or Denon, which - huge shock - they do stock. That's not going to sell me a Pioneer, HK or Denon, regardless if they are better. It's going to put me off shopping there because they cannot justify in a coherent manner, a valid reason for being against Marantz or Onkyo.

Until dealers quit with "slagging off" tactics and argue rationally, I'm less likely to stick my head in their store and buy something. If dealers were more honest, open and could genuinely debate the pros and cons, without superior attitude, then some people may be more inclined to spend.

Caveat - I'm not saying ALL dealers, I'm saying some. There are dealers out there who will and do argue rationally, but they appear to me to be in the minority of the ones I've frequented.

5. the klang

the klang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    many years ago i went to a shop in near thurock(window shopping)that had some nice looking stuff on display.i asked the assistant if he had any pioneer amps/dvd,etc.
    he promptly laughed down his nose at me and said they only sold quality equipment in his shop.
    ok then" i said taking his comment to the extreme,could you demo a 800 reference meridian for me?(knowing at that time this player cost £10,000 or so) again he laughed at me and said he only dealt in high end equipment.i told him i would try currys next door and walked out.