Am I a Cursed Employee?

DrapedInDarkness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So since moving back into work after my mums untimely passing, one business after another has encountered problems.

I started off back in the workplace with....

HMV - Went bankrupt closed down loads of stores and got bought by Hilco.

I then moved onto Morrisons who opened in the old HMV site...

Morrisons - Admitted they overestimated the need for their expansion, closed virtually all stores and repositioned themselves.

And now currently I am with Homebase...

Homebase bought by Wesfarmers who ruined the implementation of the Bunnings brand and have now admitted they will consider all options including exiting the brand altogether along with closing 20-40 stores, with the decisions to be made in June-July.

Well I can't imagine that your employment is the single factor that has made these large PLCs do what they have done. However, I see the point you are making. Try and look at the positives. You are clearly employable. You've picked up experiences and skills which will be transferable to a new employer.

Keep your chin up and I'm sure you'll land something else.

I'm being slightly sarcastic but it is amazing, either karma has some great reward for me or there is something I have not yet paid for :laugh:

Well I can't imagine that your employment is the single factor that has made these large PLCs do what they have done. However, I see the point you are making. Try and look at the positives. You are clearly employable. You've picked up experiences and skills which will be transferable to a new employer.

Keep your chin up and I'm sure you'll land something else.

I’ve always been amazed how Homebase is still trading.

It seems to be very much geared towards DIYers and nothing more.

The places with success seem to be geared up for both trade and DIY.

That said, I got an absolute bargain Spirit levels from Homebase recently.

Definitely not your fault these places are having trouble though draped. You’re not that clever ;)

I'm being slightly sarcastic but it is amazing, either karma has some great reward for me or there is something I have not yet paid for :laugh:
Have you thought about hiring your serves out! Plenty of competitors i wouldn't mind go under :D

All these retail jobs in the same area? Could more be the state of the high street in general and in particular in the location you are given its also a consistent in all the roles other than you

All in roughly the same geographical area yes, but two were high street and one is retail park.

All these retail jobs in the same area? Could more be the state of the high street in general and in particular in the location you are given its also a consistent in all the roles other than you

I’ve always been amazed how Homebase is still trading.

It seems to be very much geared towards DIYers and nothing more.

The places with success seem to be geared up for both trade and DIY.

That said, I got an absolute bargain Spirit levels from Homebase recently.

Definitely not your fault these places are having trouble though draped. You’re not that clever ;)

For anyone that thought his post TL:DR, Homebase is crap, but not really :laugh:

Edit: stupid emoji shortcut!

Please don't go working for JL, I quite like them...

Seriously though, MrSossidge is spot on. You clearly are employable...Chin up, this is all part of a master plan and you'll find you 'home' :)

Hah, at least you made me laugh and sadly they turned me down........smart people :laugh:

Please don't go working for JL, I quite like them...

Seriously though, MrSossidge is spot on. You clearly are employable...Chin up, this is all part of a master plan and you'll find you 'home' :)

I've been in various roles in retail for over a decade and I think it's the retail industry itself that is the problem. The last few years it's been nothing but cutbacks, restructuring and redundancy. I think all the big retail employers ultimately want staff on minimum-hour contracts. Even management positions are a shambles with many having to work 60hrs+ a week to get tasks done because customer assistants aren't employed on enough hours, those management salaries start to dwindle down to minimum wage with all the unpaid overtime.

I'm planning on getting out of retail all together and start training to be an electrician this year.

I went through this recently with my manager telling me I am the only member of staff taking my full breaks and he hardly takes anything, I replied that it is not my fault if it takes me less time to do my jobs than him, that may have been a mistake :D

On an average evening there will be 3-5 of us for the entire building, crazy is not the half of it.

I've been in various roles in retail for over a decade and I think it's the retail industry itself that is the problem. The last few years it's been nothing but cutbacks, restructuring and redundancy. I think all the big retail employers ultimately want staff on minimum-hour contracts. Even management positions are a shambles with many having to work 60hrs+ a week to get tasks done because customer assistants aren't employed on enough hours, those management salaries start to dwindle down to minimum wage with all the unpaid overtime.

I'm planning on getting out of retail all together and start training to be an electrician this year.

Have you upset any gypsies lately? If so, you may well be cursed.

If not...it's just bad luck.

I think a lot of it is that when you have been made redundant you have moved to companies in a similar financial and trading position.

I suspect that at the time of the move if you had delved a little deeper you would have found that trading was troubled.

When you walk around the high street don't you see shops that rarely seem to have any customers and you find yourself thinking "they are on borrowed time". And quite often your gut feel proves right.

Shops like argos, jessops and maplin for example.

Steinhoff have been in the news recently. They are a South African venture company that is desperately short of cash. Their shares have crashed and are now rated as junk. Amongst the many companies they own are Bensons, Harveys and Poundland - I can't imagine those companies have a rosy outlook.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
Are Argos in trouble? I know they were a couple of years ago, but thought they had recovered?

I rarely go in Homebase, but when I spot something in there I need I do the usual compare price with Amazon trick and Homebase has popped up some great bargains and gained custom from me as a result. However, that might not always be best for business..

Maybe yours is one of the ones to be re-branded though. What about Argos, jessops and Maplin which were your actual examples?

Argos depends on the store, some look quite modern and efficient, however, I was in one Sunday and it looked like I'd just walked into the 80's..

To be honest, I’ve been going into Topps tiles since they have been open well over a decade ago.

Every branch that I ever go in, is always empty. Sometimes a couple of customers, sometimes a couple of traders. I’ve always wondered how they are in business.

They do OK though as some of the orders can be quite big.

I’d imagine the same goes for a lot of other places- Homebase for example also sells kitchens and bathrooms.

Argos depends on the store, some look quite modern and efficient, however, I was in one Sunday and it looked like I'd just walked into the 80's..

I dunno, mine looked state of the art when I strolled into Argos’ jewellers ‘Elizabeth Duke’ and bought myself a sovereign ring. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom