1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

am i 1:1

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by hammy2891, Mar 4, 2005.

1. hammy2891

hammy2891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    simple noob question ?
    could one of the members in laymens terms explain 1:1 pixel mapping and how to achieve it.

hammy

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You just need to match your graphic card resolution to that of the screen, pj or television etc

If your projector, for instance, does 1366x768 then you have to match that with your graphics card. The card may not support that resolution, in which case you need powerstrip.

Dave

3. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I'd like to add a bit to the question of pixel matching. I run TT and FFDShow on my monitor which outputs a max res of 1600x1200 so I've set TT to match this but the problem is my desktop is set to 1024x768 and I have trouble getting the two to work together without having to manualy alter the desktop settings. Isn't this meant to be automatic like when games switch res or do I also need powerstrip?

4. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get 1:1 on my DLP set reolution 1280x720 through the DVI input there is an overscan of 1% the only way to get rid of the overscan would be powerstrip but i can't be bothered

5. hammy2891

hammy2891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thnx for reply dave
    does the output setting of ffdshow matter?
    e.g
    1024x768 on pj and graphics card but im running ffdshow at 1280x720

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You must set your desktop size to be that of your display if you want 1:1 mapping, simply setting FFDSHOW to 1280x720 isn't enough.

What happens is that the DVD (assuming PAL here) gets re-scaled by FFDSHOW from 720x576 to 1280x720 but then when the video stream is presented to the graphics card it'll re-scale whatever it sees to the desktop size before outputting.

Using FFDSHOW to rescale to higher than output isn't 'wrong', I scale to 1920x1080 even though I'm outputting 1280x720, but you need to realise there's a second scaling operation being done.

If your PJ is 1024x768 and you've set you desktop to that then IMHO you'd probably be better off either using FFDSHOW to scale to 1024x768 (thereby bypassing the scaler on the graphics card) or else scaling to some multiple of output, eg. 1536x1152 (1.5x).

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Indeed even just setting the output of your source to the resolution of your display doesn't actually guarantee 1:1 matching. The display will always be processing the image (you can't bypass the processing) and in some cases it may overscan or rescale. If your display has a 1:1 aspect then you should be OK but if it doesn't then you need to use specific test patterns to confrm that no rescaling is going on if you want to achieve 1:1

Gordon

8. hammy2891

hammy2891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: o.k :thumbsup:
    i'm convinced 1:1 is for me
    graphics card on 1024x768
    ffdshow on 1024x768
    AR unchecked in tt2.1
    pj set to 16:9
    even the osd for ffdshow is sharper

thnx

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ultimately it's the appearance of unaliased text that demonstrates the quality of 1:1, as you're seeing. :)

10. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi

Forgive the possibly newbie question, but what's the point in scaling higher than output resolution first? I know from working with digital images that the higher the starting resolution of, say, a photo, the better the end result if you need to scale it down - but a PAL DVD is fixed at 720x576 right? So why scale twice, up and then back down, rather than just directly to the output resolution needed?

Cheers
    DM