1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Always tweaking- advice on sub crossover.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Pollywoggle, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have my svs 25-31pc+ in my 2 channel setup (nad c370/c272) and wonder about the crossover setting on the sub.
    My speakers are the little mission 780se's and their specs stated low frequency is 65hz.
    I use the sub to fill in below there and am tinkering and tweaking so where would you experts suggest a good place to start?
    I know everything depends on room gain and that rolloff is not instant so some overlap is required (but not too much or boom results!)
    I am not overly techie so please don't talk about octaves and stuff, just keep it to numbers, ie 70hz etc :confused:
    I just want to spend a little time experimenting but need advice on the best place to start, thanks as always :)

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul i think aswell it depends on you're room as it will enhance the in room response of you speakers and sub so say you're speakers drop off should be 65hz i would start maybe lower at 50hz and try and balance it out from there.. :)
    Also i have heard that leaving a gap creates better intergration!

John

3. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hello John, I hear so many theories on this and know it depends on the room so much, I am trying to suss out if the general consensus is to be a bit above or a bit below?
    So with my speakers being 65hz am I looking at 50hz or 70ohz for the sub?

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul - I would try a bit below! if i remember rightly in my M&K manual for setting up sats which go down to 80hz they say to set the sub to approx 70hz....and leave a gap!! i am at work at present so just going on memory could be wrong though :blush:

John

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It depends a lot on how the receiver implements the bass management too. I had my the sub crossover at ~60Hz with my old Denon 1802 and Mission 771e's. (Amp crossover fixed at 80Hz).

Now with the same speakers (771e's and XLS200) but with a Marantz SR7400 I've bypassed the sub crossover completely for better results. (Amp crossover set to 100Hz).

Setting the sub crossover even down to about 40Hz could well provide good results when combined with your speakers.

The best place to start would be to get an SPL meter and take a few frequency response curves with different settings. :)

6. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks for advice peeps this is purely a 2 channel setup though,remember, its going through a Nad integrated/poweramp as my av amp is switched off when I play cds. The only crossover is on the sub.
    I have a separate sub for av use, my lovely pb2+.

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Show off :p

John :)

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    In that case definitely consider setting the sub crossover very low, I'd try 5Hz gaps from about 30Hz upwards. I'd guess somewhere around 45Hz will probably give the best integration for you. :)

9. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks, I had it quite a bit higher so I will enjoy experimenting,
    as for you John, you know you are partly to blame. :D