Always Seem To Be The Bad Guy

You're right. I was more worried about being nice about it than I was to tell him to stop spraying stuff over the garden. Maybe me being polite about it gives them currency to be mean and if I went out screaming "what the eff are you doing..." they would back down...like an alpha male thing?
Or you could just learn how to talk to people and not go from to extremes or be sarcastic.
Your reply makes me doubt your "extremely politely" and non confrontational even more! 😂

I've learned that when one person says they asked someone something politely/friendly/nicely/respectfully it is very often not received that way.

This resonates with me a lot. I had a run-in with a neighbour over her dog barking about a year/ 18 months ago. As far as I'm concerned, I still believe on reflection that I remained polite when I asked her to stop her dog barking.
My wife however, having known me for 23 years puts a different spin on such situations. I am a fairly big guy and have been known to sport a 'resting bastard face' (in my loving wife's words). I frown an awful lot, 90% through concentration alone though, but it does mean that unless I'm giving you a big grin or actually laughing, then I can probably come across as a bit surly or intimidating, even if I don't feel that way.

Couple this general air of Victor Meldrew with a genuinely polite and friendly request to stop your dog barking could definitely be seen by the recipient as anything but friendly or polite, I fully acknowledge.

The bloke in his 20's that she sent to my house afterwards to confront me about my 'angry, agressive shouting' and using the F-bomb got a completely different experience though. He got the full-on 'Dad, here's my new boyfriend' frown.

More efficient, less polite words were used with him.

I get back inside and can now hear from the open window this guy calling me all the names he can think of and swearing with the neighbour who is basically agreeing with him...

What's wrong with people???

When you went back in, maybe you closed your front door too loudly?

Last edited:
I think there's more to this.

I think there must be some history here.

I think there's something you're not telling us.

Oh wait...

Nah they were saying when we built our fence down the side of the house (at their request, by the way) the workmen left muddy boot prints on their driveway so im a "two-faced arsehole" apparently.

Or you could just learn how to talk to people and not go from to extremes or be sarcastic.
Your reply makes me doubt your "extremely politely" and non confrontational even more! 😂

That's a bit of a leap to a conclusion?

None of us was there and have no idea how the OP spoke to the caravan cleaner. So why do you doubt?

You mentioned in a previous post you've spent twenty years listening to others problems.

Are you a therapist too?

(We used to have one but it was misused to antagonise people)

I've been a member of this forum for many years and am surprised to hear that other members purposely try to antagonise others...?

Is this something that happens exclusively here or is it a wider internet forum issue?

Spelling mistake?

Don't want to correct it though in case you don't like it.

He was probably angry at his hat too! Too big/small? Relative gave it to him as a gift and he has to wear it out if obligation... who knows ;)

Yeah it was a typo...not gonna correct it though, will leave it for effect!

Nah they were saying when we built our fence down the side of the house (at their request, by the way) the workmen left muddy boot prints on their driveway so im a "two-faced arsehole" apparently.

It could have been worse, he could have told you to fudge off :laugh:

OP - did you not adopt the classic British position of apologising first, then making your request?

If not, then that's where you went wrong. Us Brits start saying sorry before anyone else has even said or done anything!

OP - did you not adopt the classic British position of apologising first, then making your request?

If not, then that's where you went wrong. Us Brits start saying sorry before anyone else has even said or done anything!
Ha...I didn't...I just said "hi"

Sorry!, but Yes! I do this.

:rolleyes::thumbsup:

I disagree :devil: :D

I disagree - especially the disagree thread that come about when it was introduced.... that was one of the best threads on here for about the week the button was available.

Also the disagree button was not what antagonised people on this forum its just some people on here do not like to have someone disagree with them, regardless of whether it is rational, civil or anything else. A bit like this chaps neighbour and workman.

I disagree - especially the disagree thread that come about when it was introduced.... that was one of the best threads on here for about the week the button was available.

Also the disagree button was not what antagonised people on this forum its just some people on here do not like to have someone disagree with them, regardless of whether it is rational, civil or anything else. A bit like this chaps neighbour and workman.
I disagree or probably would if I understood what you were on about. :rotfl:

images.jpeg

This thread reminds me of the time my neighbour used an angle grinder to remove the mortar from his wall so he could repoint it.

Could have asked me to move my car first!

Attachments

• 6B173E6B-4F81-4A18-8E34-BF79616AEEF9.jpeg
    6B173E6B-4F81-4A18-8E34-BF79616AEEF9.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 136
We did stay friendly. He offered to wash it- no chance mate!

You should never power wash a caravan as it can push water beyond the seals so he might have a damp caravan in a few years which will be karma.

I disagree :devil: :D

They tried the disagree function on another forum I was on before I found this one and all hell broke loose!!

I loved it but far too many people used it to apparently abuse and bully other forum members so it got swiftly taken away 😐

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom