Always check Denon auto setup!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rdundas, Oct 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. rdundas

rdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Just a message to any newbies to say, do not always trust the Denon Autosetup routine. I have the new 1906 and use a musical fidelity kw500 amp as front power amp to a Pair of Gallo reference 3 speakers with their own Sub Amp.
    I ran the autosetup.

1: It registered I had a centre speaker, which I don't
    2: Registered I have a Sub which I don't, so my Gallos were not given any output below 80Hz
    3: Got all the distances wrong on the speakers
    4: Told me first that my Front Left was out of Phase and then that my Front Right was out of phase. Neither were.

Don't get me wrong, once I corrected all that, it sounds great and most people on their second, third, fourth etc. etc. amp, will notice, but for anyone on their first amp, they might trust the autosetup and be missing out on getting the best from their system by a long way.

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The way auto setup works on Denons is to send a tone and listen back to it via the microphone*. If you are registering components that aren't there it suggests there is something more wrong than poor implementation by Denon. If you are doing nothing wrong, you may well have a faulty amp.

*Based on experience with 3805.

3. rdundas

rdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Nothing is faulty m9 believe me, only the Denons setup. It now sound brill, when I corrected its errors

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    I would have to second Cable Monkey - if the mic is picking up something loud enough for it to consider it to be a speaker then there is something wrong with the test or the machine.

Certainly the autosetups arent perfect but with my 2805 it was only very minor adjustments needed and most of them in all honesty were for taste rather than a technically perfect setup. There certainly wasnt any cases of it picking up a phantom speaker.

5. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I don't doubt it performs well once set up, but in my experience the auto setup can't install a speaker if it can't 'hear' it. It must be picking up noise or interferance from somewhere. Also auto setup is a major function of an amp in this price bracket. If it worked as badly as you suggest generally then the chorus of complaints would be deafening. Rather than assume this is a general trait, I would consider it an individual problem with your amp. Your decision is to live with it or get it investigated while under guarantee.

6. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I'll second what rdundas said - my 2805 got the phase settings wrong for the front speakers and the distances for all 7 speakers it did also incorrectly register that I had a sub - so had to set it all manually as I've done many times before, with an SPL meter, a tape measure and my ears.

I'd recommend skipping the auto-setup altogether as you only end up spending the same time configuring it manually afterwards. And for newbies the manual configuration is a useful learning process.

7. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,009
    What signal is fed to the power amps for the front?

When the autoset up runs, and it gets to the center channel test, do you hear any test tone being reporoduced at all or is it silence?

I found the Denon test tones and the assignment of "power amps" to bi-amp my speakers produced inconsistent results. AFAICT the line-outs apparently were muted and therefore the bass drivers on my speakers were not "inlcuded" in the test tones. Either that or it just cut out the Surround speakers for the tests. To run the auto tests with my set up I had to un bi-amp the speakers to get the levels to work properly.

8. rdundas

rdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I also had out of phase calls on my rear speakers before with a Denon 3805 and know others have as well.

9. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,009
    To be fair, other than the bi-amp issue which really is not a fault with the 3805, the auto setup has worked flawlessly with the one exception of the sub distance (delay).

10. rdundas

rdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Hey, I fully accept I might have held microphone wrongly, been breathing too close to mike during test tones. The unusual configuration of the Gallo Ref 3s with their 2nd amplifier etc. I was only pointing out others could easily also do similar. Simply check what the Denon has done, just in case. As I said I love it now it is setup right.

11. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I wouldn't hold the microphone when you do it, stick in the the seating position (on the arm of a chair or soemthing) and then let it go on its own, moving the microphone when its in your had could make things be percieved differently to the amp.

I remember reading that the orgional pioneer setup suggest you leave the room when you set it up :eek:

12. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,009
    Yup, I used a tripod with the Ratshack spl meter.

13. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I used a camera tripod when I did mine - it still got it wrong, so, as rdundas said, use the auto-setup but check it afterwards, it's good to know that it's not infallible and that an incorrect auto-setup doesn't necessarily mean you have a faulty unit.