Question Alternatives to Yamaha RXV677?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by georged79, Jul 9, 2015.

1. georged79

georged79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Denon AVR2113 on which the HDMI board has broken. I took out the Richersounds warranty on purchase, and as a result of their wonderful service they have advised they will be replacing it with a like for like unit. Their current estimate of the position in the market that a replacement would put me is a Yamaha RXV677.

What other units should I be considering in and around this level?

I see the RXV677 does not support a second audio zone as the Denon did. This is something I was intending to use, so will use this as a means to change the eligible replacement as they have quickly determined.

Other units I have quickly looked at are:

Sony STRDN1050 - pluses 2nd audio zone, and additionally 2nd HDMI output
    Denon AVRX2100 - pluses 2nd audio zone, and additionally 2nd HDMI output

Any others to consider? Any errors in my analysis above? Does anyone have experience of the units I have picked out?

Thanks all.
    George

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    I believe the 677 does support a 2nd Audio Zone.

3. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Just to confirm that the

STRDN1050 & AVRX2100 have preamp-out 2nd Zones whereas the Yamaha has Speaker Output for 2nd zone

Also be aware that most amps 2nd zone only allows for audio from analogue inputs not Digital inputs

4. georged79

georged79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I saw that suggested somewhere else. I'll presume it does for the moment, but will need to check when determining my shortlist.

5. georged79

georged79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can you tell me the difference between pre out 2nd zone, and speaker output? Does that mean the preout units need RCA cable, and the speaker output just basic speaker wire?

The passthru to the 2nd zone. If that's not digital, what inputs can I stream to zone 2? Is it just phone audio input items?

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Hi

The 677 definitely does have zone 2 speaker outputs

Pre-outs mean you would also need to add an amplifier or active speaker to the 2nd zone via dual RCA/phono.
    Speaker output you would just add speakers via speaker wire

2nd Zones usually only handle analogue inputs, simplified none of the HDMi inputs

7. georged79

georged79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks. That's great info.

So presumably the 2nd HDMI output will transmit both video and audio from the selected input to the second screen in addition to the video going to the prime monitor where the speakers provide the sound. Is this in addition to, or in place of zone 2 audio?

In my Denon, zone 2 was channels 6 & 7 of my 7.1. Is that no longer the case with the preout zone 2 units?

8. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    You would have to double check as sometimes its just a mirror so you can send the image to a TV and a projector.

That is still the case on the Yamaha, but it is different on the Denon and Sony

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,223
    This is not the case and all the receiver have the ability to reassign onboard amps to power a second stereo audio zone.

All of the receivers so far mentioned have the ability to reassign the amplification ordinarilly used to power back speakers for use to power a second stereo audio zone. If doing this you limit the receiver's main room to 5.1. Those with pre outs for a second zone can maintain their 7.1 capabilities in relation to the main zone while outputting left and right line level audio to a stereo amp in another zone. It is true that most receivers limit the audio output in the second zone to analogue and network accessed audio sources.

I'd personally wait for the Denon AVRX2200W which should be available by the end of this month. This receiver will be equiped with HDMI version 2.0a, be HDCP 2.2 compliant and include both Atmos and DTS:X processing capabilities. It will also allow HDMI and S/PDIF sources to be output to a second audio zone. This would be the most current comparable receiver to your AVR2113.

The AVRX2200W includes 2 HDMI outputs which are smply mirrored, but the Sony STRDN1050 or the 1060 include second HDMI zone capabilities that allow you to passthrough HDMI sources to a second zone independently. You can effectively output a different HDMI source to another zone while using another in the main room.

The RXV677 AVRX2100 and the Sony STRDN1050 are essentially now discontinued and being replaced by the Denon AVRX2200W, the YAmaha RXV679 and the Sony STRDN1060.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  10. georged79

georged79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks. I'll be downloading the manuals, and making a thorough check of options.

11. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Thanks Dante, was about to look that up for the OP.

The problem the OP has is its a Richer Sounds warranty replacement so dont think he will get the AVRX2220W

12. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Good luck with the manuals they arent always as clear as they should be with regard to the limitations.

13. georged79

georged79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks.

I got the impression with the non Yamaha units that 7.x could drop to 5 and give me a second audio zone.

I'll see what is possible with that new Denon. I'm somewhat at the mercy of Richer Sounds. It sounds a very viable unit if they will let me hold. I've got a loan unit at the moment from them.

14. georged79

georged79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll have a try with RS. Worth a go.