Question Alternatives to UniFi WiFi

andymet87

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My parents have a long bungalow that is currently served by 3 access points (one at each end and one in the middle) each with their own SSID to provide wifi coverage.

These access points are all old routers that we had lying around. The system works fine so long as you remember to manually switch to a different SSID. This causes a great deal of confusion as both my parents seem to struggle to do this meaning I get frequent phone calls along the lines of "the internet is not working".

Doing some research a series of UniFi AP's would resolve this issue allowing devices to seamlessly jump to the best access point. However, the controller needs to be hosted either locally or online. Locally is not really possible as my parents won't like a PC always being on, and the remote hosting option seems costly for what it would achieve in this single dwelling setting...

So, are there any other options available to create a seamless 3 access point network?

Thanks in advance!

Draytek 2860 router and AP810/900/910 APs would do the trick. Otherwise look at the IP-Com managed wifi products from Solwise.

One other question... am I right in thinking that a controller always needs to be running with the UniFi setup? I'm getting mixed messages reading around online!

Thanks for the response Neil, had a quick search and the Draytek system would be over budget. I'm hoping this could be setup for less than £150 in total...

The IP-Com system looks good and within budget. Am I correct in thinking that in a domestic setup the following would need to happen:
  • leave standard domestic router as DHCP server & network "hub".
  • Connect the CW500 controller to the network (anywhere) - no need for AP's to be connected directly to this.
  • Connect three AP's (Solwise IP-W300AP) to the network.
The AP's are then managed from the CW500...

is that correct?

I use the unifi wifi setup. i run 6 access points and there is no need for a controller.

The APs use POE and come with POE injectors. Once on the network i booted up the unifi software on my laptop, adopted all the APs, uploaded my config to all the APs and thats it.

I can turn the laptop off and all my devices roam freely between APs with no drop off (zero handoff roaming) it also load balances and always connects to the strongest signal so have no issues with APs not letting go.

the controller is only need for some of the more advance features like setting up a landing page and using it to charge people to use the wifi etc.

i highly recommend the unifi stuff, i bought it a few years ago when it was much cheaper and easier to get hold of.

I use the unifi wifi setup. i run 6 access points and there is no need for a controller.

Thanks for the info... half of posts I have read online says this is the case but half say the controller is needed to get the clients to switch to the best wifi source! very confused... :thumbsdow

Assuming that is correct, it brings the UniFi stuff back into the mix but I can get the IP-Com setup with 3 AP's inc a controller for the same price as 3 UniFi APs... which I know will work.

Makes it very hard to decide - does anyone have a preference... UniFi or IP-Com ?

Never tried the ip-com. but can definitely confirm that roaming between APs works with out the controller. I setup 6 APs in a row of holiday cottages, i can walk the length of the cottages roughly 160-180m long and it swaps to the strongest signal, if i stay between 2 of the APs with 2 devices it will load balance me and stick one device on 1 ap and the other device on the other ap. the software is easy to use, i uploaded a copy of the floor plans and a picture from google maps and placed the APs on the map where i had installed them.

you can also group them, for example i manage 3 different sites all using unifi aps. when i boot my laptop up with the software i can choose which site i want to manage.

Thanks for the response Neil, had a quick search and the Draytek system would be over budget. I'm hoping this could be setup for less than £150 in total...

The IP-Com system looks good and within budget. Am I correct in thinking that in a domestic setup the following would need to happen:
  • leave standard domestic router as DHCP server & network "hub".
  • Connect the CW500 controller to the network (anywhere) - no need for AP's to be connected directly to this.
  • Connect three AP's (Solwise IP-W300AP) to the network.
The AP's are then managed from the CW500...

is that correct?

Yes, that's how it would work. It is pretty straight forward to configure but still covers all the basics of a managed setup.

Another vote for UniFi here!

Might be harder to find the devices at the moment as theyre doing a product refresh. The new units look to be good though!

Can also confirm you dont need a controller online - I think the confusion may come about from older devices that can't handle zero handoff themselves but I dont think that is the case with the new product lineup / current firmware.

Just run them all with the same SSID - had been running the this on 3 to 5 APs in 100+ retail buildings
That only works with apple and i think laptop/PCs, try googling "android and wifi roaming"
I use the same ssid method at home, we have a combination of 6 android phone/tablets and 2 apple ipads and only the ipads hop seamlessly from one channel to another on the same ssid (all other settings cloned)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom