Alternatives to Toshiba 220E?

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've decided to buy my father a cheap DVD player for Xmas. I don't think there's much point in spending a huge amount of money - his current TV is 20" non-widescreen and old enough that it doesn't accept anything more sophisticated than a Composite SCART signal. He will probably upgrade it eventually, but I figure if he wants a classier DVD player then he can buy it himself. :) In any case he's very firm that he doesn't want me to spend too much money.

So: I was thinking about getting a Toshiba 220E, which I notice Richer Sounds is doing for £120 region free these days. My question therefore is: is there any other model available for, say, less than £150 which is a significant improvement on the Tosh 220E? Or is there any other model that is just as good but a shade cheaper?

Considering that the 220e is the reviewers choice and is recommended in both low and mid-range systems, I doubt that you will find a better player for much less than £200. Do you want to get him a player that will need upgrading with the TV? Better to spend £120 now rather than waste £80 on a player that will looked awful on a nice new tele.

funnily enough that's exactly what i was going to buy my dad this christmas before I found out he wanted a camcorder (more expense:( )

Have a look at the pioneer dv350 ,got one from richer and on my old 4:3 ferguson with dodgy scart leads it produces an excelent picture 100% better than a ps2

"which I notice Richer Sounds is doing for £120 region free these days."

If you mention the Amazon deal at £119 incl del, RS will pricebeat and do the Tosh for £109 incl delivery. Last time I rang (Fri), RS only had it in black. Luckily, thats what I wanted. Cheers, Chris.

another alternative to the tochiba 220e is the sony DVP NS-405 this has all the features of the toshiba but it also avoids the potential problems the toshiba has with seamless branching (eg the matrix).

cheers

pioneer dv350 - recently bought one for my father-in law...very impressed for a sub £200 player

JJ

Ive owned a Toshiba 2109 and now a Toshiba 220 these players don't repeat DON'T have a problem with branching and play movies better than any pioneer or sony model spend ur money wisely go for a Tosh u know it makes sense :clap:

no problems to report with my 220e and seamless branching

Simply put there is no better Alternative to the Toshiba 220E in this price range.

HCC rates it as the best DVD player for under £300... and it only costs £120ish. That has to say a lot, really.

I've had no 'pruning' problems with my Tosh 220. Excellent player at triple the price. Cheers, Chris

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom