Alternatives to the VSX-AX3-S??

Fonzerelli

Standard Member
Im on the verge of ordering a Pioneer VSX-AX3-S without even having a listen to one :eek: ill be using it with Kef eggs.

On paper this seems far superior to any AV reciever in its price range. but what are the others like in its range? anyone got anything around the £600 mark that i should be looking into?

deckard

Standard Member
You can get an AX3 for £589 online. Where have you seen a Yamaha rx-v1400 for £99 more, the best I've seen so far is £799?

I think either would be very good, I've recently moved to an AX5i after many years with Yamaha processors. At the moment I'd say the Yamaha edges it on facilities (I suspect YPAO is probably better than MCACC) but the Pioneer wins on price.

Depends on what's more pressing; performance or finance. Either way I wouldn't buy one blind.

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Originally posted by Fonzerelli
Thanks :) this is the only one of those that has the THX logo, i will be upgrading speakers to THX ones as soon as i can afford it.

am i expecting to much from the THX amp? as far as i know the H/K and Yamaha dont have it. also the Pioneer is 7.1.

I wouldn't let the presence of a THX badge swing your decision too much. At this level amps "without" THX are not necessarily missing something that those with the logo have, they have simply passed Lucasfilms criteria for THX classification where others have not entered for whatever reason (e.g. cost of licensing!!!!).

I would go Onkyo 701 if I had around 600 quid for an AV amp (THX and 130 watts a channel :eek:).

Lez

Originally posted by deckard
You can get an AX3 for £589 online. Where have you seen a Yamaha rx-v1400 for £99 more, the best I've seen so far is £799?

I think either would be very good, I've recently moved to an AX5i after many years with Yamaha processors. At the moment I'd say the Yamaha edges it on facilities (I suspect YPAO is probably better than MCACC) but the Pioneer wins on price.

Depends on what's more pressing; performance or finance. Either way I wouldn't buy one blind.

Try here £699. http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd_home.htm

But your likely to have a wait, seems as if Yamaha are not distributing there goods to e-retailers very fast as the main high street dealers are complaining & it's Yamaha's way of trying to control the market.

Still waiting from mid Jan for RX2400 & still no light at the end of the tunnel.

1400 is better on spec, but you may have a wait if you don't want to pay the full price.

Good Luck
Lez

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom