• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Alternatives to the phenomenal AKG 550?

TB303

Established Member
Hello,
I have a pair of the AKG 550 and simply love them! By far the best headphones I ever had and the sound is phenomenal. I gave them as a gift to my nephew.

I want to get the AKG 551 version as I'm usually listening to my iPhone 5 and a 4m cable is too long... I assume the sound is identical to the 550?

I'm open to consider alternatives up to about £200 though I realize the AKG are very hard to beat especially at around £100.

Please do share your thoughts,
Thanks!

sinnottj

Established Member
The sound of the K551 is identical to the K550 as far as I know, and they are dirt cheap at the moment (£99 on Amazon)

An alternative to consider is the newer K545, which is a little more expensive at around £180. This is a portable version of the K550, which has smaller earpads and a removable cable. Two cables are supplied, with remotes for Apple devices and Android/generic devices, respectively.

The sound is a little bassier than the K550, which may not be to your taste of course ...

TB303

Established Member
Thanks Mate,
The K545 are interesting but the reviews aren't that great, certainly compared to the K550...

sinnottj

Established Member
Thanks Mate,
The K545 are interesting but the reviews aren't that great, certainly compared to the K550...

I tried them out (picked up a pair cheap in ebay) and thought they were very good for a portable headphone but probably weren't as refined as the K550.

It's much easier to get a good properly-sealing fit, though (which also helps with the bass.)

I guess for those who found the K550 lacking in bass and/or too loose (both common complaints) they would be a good option.

Sounds like you found the K550s perfect as they are though! I think for their price, you'd struggle to beat the K551s.

TB303

Established Member
Just an update,
I picked up a pair of the AKG K551 - they are superb.

I did listen to the Momentum, but they are way too bass-heavy and not natural sounding for me...
I also listened to the B&W P7 - which are great but couldn't justify paying 3 times more than the AKGs...

bobfoc

Established Member
I borrowed the K545 from a friend for a week.

Sitting at home in a quiet room, the bass is a little pronounced.

Once out and about though it balances out.

If you're using purely at home, the 550 and 551 are great but outside I find them bass light whereas the 545 sound right.

My recommendation then.... buy a set of each :D

ChisChas

Established Member
Just an update,
I picked up a pair of the AKG K551 - they are superb.

I did listen to the Momentum, but they are way too bass-heavy and not natural sounding for me...
I also listened to the B&W P7 - which are great but couldn't justify paying 3 times more than the AKGs...

I took my Colorfly C4 Pro to my local Apple store and had a good listen to the B & W P7's but found them too bassy, the bass being uncontrolled on some tracks, with WAV music.
I bought a pair of AKG K702 65th Anniversary headphones instead which worked beautifully once run in, I also have a pair of K550's which are brilliant for the money.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Kind of what bob said, when commuting you kind of need some bass bias to zone out the environmental din. When indoors you might be more critical, take it outside and more acceptable

K702 vs P7 is not a reflection on either. One is a home headphone intended to be driven by big dacs and amps. And like anything else you need to demo K702 before buying as some will find then thin and peaky, esp on wrong sources

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom