1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternatives to the iPod

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by anu, Feb 5, 2004.

1. anu

anu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've finally decided that I could really do with something like this, but with the iPod being C£300+ I'm wondering if there are any viable alternatives that could be cheaper?

What would be the pro's and con's? It'd be really helpful. I've not really kept up with what's available etc recently and I've only just started my research into what's good/bad, prices I should expect and what I should expect to get from them.

Any replies would be appreciated!:)

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    IMO the better option than the iPod is the iRiver IPH-120.
    This is a 20Gb MP3/WAV/OGG player with FM tuner. Connects to a PC via USB2.0 (USB1.1 will also work). You can record a variable bit rates and it will record via a mic to MP3 or even has optical input & output . It will also act as a USB HDD on a PC for transfer of data.
    It is available from www.amazon.co.uk for £244.99 - thats the best price I could find when I ordered mine.
    They have just released a 40Gb version, but that is likely to cost about £100 more or you might be able to find the older 10Gb version cheap if you look around.

Mark.

3. leng

leng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very pleased with my Creative Zen Xtra. Well made, marginally heavier than the iPod. The 60Gb version is about £300 but it is available with smaller capacities (I'm not sure of the price).

Software seemed straightforward to use (I've heard some poor reports of iPod usage under windows but I have no personal experience).

Oh, yes, the battery is removable (unlike the iPod).

4. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote for the Zen Extra. I'm loving it - you will rediscover your music collection

Although had the 40gig iriver been available I'dve probably gone for that - although that's not cheaper than ipods.

5. anu

anu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just saw an XClef HD-500 MP3 Player - £199 for 20GB//£229 for 30GB//£249 for 40GB

All with quite a few useful features. What's been taken out to make that possible? Although looks/weight/size are important (it's still not THAT big), if it means I save £70 I'm interested. Can't find many reviews though - reliability and sound quality are the main things I'm looking at (particularly reliability, if its more likely to malfunction etc then I might as well just pay the extra money if I'm putting in £200-229 already)

6. anu

anu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £244.99 for the 20GB iRiver?? I'll look into that - for some strange reason I was under the impression that they're more expensive than the iPod :/ I'll definitely take another look at it..

btw, anyone shopped with http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk ? Good/bad reports?

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    anu,
    Davej50 has ordered the iRiver from advancedmp3players, but has not yet reported back to say it has arrived so not sure how good their service is. He did say that they had agreed to pricematch Amazon though.

Mark.

8. Davej50

Davej50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, just got it this morning. I've posted at the other thread but am so pleased with it I'll tell you all here too :)

I am SO pleased I went for the iHP120!! The sound quality on it is superb (even with standard headphones and 160kbps encoded MP3's), so much better than the iPod. The iPod that I borrowed the other week was so disappointing when I listened to it (no bass whatsoever and lots of distortion), but this is a whole new ball game. Maybe it's not as user-friendly as the iPod but it's not exactly difficult to use. Only took me a couple of minutes to find my way around it.

It's very sturdy, looks good (okay, maybe not as flash looking as the iPod but I actually prefer the look of the iRiver personally), it's the same size as my phone (Nokia 6600) only more 'square'.

I bought it from AdvancedMP3Players.com and yes, they price matched with Amazon, I was supposed to receive this last week but the shipment was late or something so it was delivered on Wednesday. Got no qualms with the company, you can track the order on their website, and they gave me advice when I called to ask what was the best thing I could get for the price and what headphones I should get (Which I must say haven't yet been delivered and I haven't been told by them when they might be - will give em a call on Monday morning).

I don't think you'd be disappointed with it if you bought one.

Dave.

9. stuart-f

stuart-f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you hear distortion on an ipod something is seriously amiss. I use 192kb VBR encoding and the sound is crystal clear especially with a decent pair of headphones. The 'bass light' criticism may be warranted but oftentimes what sounds like good bass is just exaggerated bass, boomy not punchy.

10. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have any of you actually connected these to a HiFi.
    Do any of these have a line-out for this - Using the headphone
    socket is tricky to get the right level.
    Azzo.

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The iRiver has optical out (and in) and a standard line out (and in) connections.

Mark.

12. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10