1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternatives to SVS PB12 Ultra2?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by AngelEyes, Dec 24, 2004.

1. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,514
    Hi,

I have been looking to get a new sub for a while and have just about settled on the idea of the SVS PB12 Ultra 2 but not having heard one (or any other sub of this price level) I am curious about the alternatives at around £1400.

I like a real mix, from House & Garage music to Classical, Sci-Fi and action films. Primary listening will be DVD Films at moderate volume levels.

If you can recommed a good place for demos in the Cambridge area that would be great.

Thanks,

Adam

2. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    for £1400 you can not touch an svs Ultra 2, listened to an asw750 priced £1200 and it didn’t touch the cylinder ultra i heard the next day, it doesn’t even touch my 20-39+, which cost me £500. If you can afford it buy the Ultra 2 with confidence and never look back, it will blow you (and possible everything in your house) away. but in all seriousness svs subs are so controlled, so tight, so fast for the money little else will compete.

the Ultra 2 might be a bit overkill if you will only be listening at reasonable levels, if you defiantly want a box sub, svs are releasing the PB12 ultra some time in the near future, give them an email asking about what will suit your needs and they will get back 2 u pretty quick. (although probably after Christmas) or a PB 12 +

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At that price point here in the UK there is not much if anything that can touch the SVS PB12 Ultra 2 unless you go S/H, if you are willing to import one it would be worth it but don't forget they are Huge!!!!

John

4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I reckon the SVS in a black finish would set you back just under £1500 delivered at current exchange rates. Add another £250 or so if you want the wood version.

Other subs (but unfortunately dearer) to consider would be -

- Velodyne DD15 - £2800 (much dearer but has a sophisticated inbuilt eq system)
    - M&K MX350 - £2000 (not heard but good reports)
    - B&W ASW850 - £2000 (very good I have one! Also a fellow forum member has just switched from a PC Ultra tube to one of these and reckons it is significantly better)
    - Genelec - £1800 - A colleague of mine just ordered one of these. 2X12" drivers and he reckons its a bit of a monster with chest pounding bass even in a large room. Not sure which model but I reckon it might be this one - http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/d2/page/shop/flypage/product_id/1402/category_id/

These are all list prices and you may be able to haggle some discount (except maybe on the SVS and the Nautilus). Not sure if they are better or worse than the SVS but definately should be on your shortlist. Demo before you decide.

Also for less money (but probably wont compare to the SVS you are considering) -

-B&W ASW750 - £1,200 contrary to the above post in my opinion it is better than 20/39+ and pretty close to the PC Ultra in performance terms. However I doubt it would compare to the SVS PB12 Ultra 2. If you haggle £1000 is pretty feasible for a new one.

-Velodyne CHT-R 15 - £800. Performs very well for the money with lots of power.

- PC Ultra - £875 (approx) definately a very good subwoofer capable of deep and tuneful bass.

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Just wondering why you are thinking of spending so much on a subwoofer?

6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,514
    Because I get carried away with the hype... :)

I just want the best I can afford. My current sub is very boomy and as I will be building a home cinema in my reasonably large lounge (5m x 10m) I want something that will blow me away and last me a few years of significant upgrades to the rest of my kit.

If you think I am mad please bring me back down to earth and I'll spend more on the projector :)

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    For the cost of the PB12 Ultra 2, there is nothing else that will touch it, it is truly one of the greats.

Mind you, ALL of the subwoofers Rags has mentioned above are great subs, and to be honest, you won't go too wrong with any of them. We are talking miniscule differences in performance at normal listening levels, the difference would only be apparent at extreme levels imho.

My listening room is slightly narrower but slightly longer than yours, and the PCU fills it with ease, I want a bit more oomph later, and will be buying another PCU when we move house (was originally going to do a loft conversion and turn it into a dedicated room, but we also need a bigger kitchen and new dining room, so probably cheaper to move :) ).

PCU and projector would be a good buy, but the pb12 ultra 2 will outperform it, depends on what levels you want to listen at and whether it will fill your room adequately, which I believe the PCU will :).

EDIT: I must add though, if you want to use the entire budget for the subwoofer, the PB12 Ultra 2 is the way to go, or any of the subs in Rags post above, just gotta find time to audition them all :D

8. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Have you heard one then Rags?

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I have heard the 12" US equivalent model on a marble floor in a largish room and even with these handicaps it performed admirably. I recommended the 15" version as it would be more of the same (with a lot more power) and would at least come close to the other models on the list

10. 1 GND

1 GND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Angel Eyes, If you`re serious re: PB12/Ultra 2 audition (means journey from Cambridge to Hertfordshire).

PM me again and will set it up for new year. I really think it is the one to buy. :thumbsup:

11. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,172
    The reality of this is not entirely accurate, as you're talking a day apart and (probably?) different rooms and setups, with the room no doubt affecting the outcome more than many will realise.

The ASW750 is a STUNNING performer with oodles of headroom, the ONLY difference between this and something like the PB-12 Plus is the greater extension of the SVS (and the PB-12 Plus is certainly better than the 20-39)

Alot depends on your room, i.e the B+W would be an option if space is very tight (it's miniscule compared to the bigger SVS), but ultimately the Ultra WILL perform better, and in a wood finish will be just as aesthetically pleasing:)

12. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,514
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Glen, I'll be in touch!

Adam

13. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned: