Alternatives to Sky???

Raider

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been using Sky for internet for some time (get my TV service from them). Thought the internet was a bit slow, so upped to their maximum bandwidth, but had their modem/router packup after a few months. Just got a new box a few weeks back (after several delays) only to have it give me problems.

Even when the router is "working" the wireless coverage is abysmal in my 3 bedroom apartment.

What's the best broadband alternative in London to Sky? I'm particularly irritated that I can't use my own router with Sky, so would like to explore options that allow me to use my own hardware.

I should note that I can't switch my TV service from Sky, since there are a few channels others in my family watch which we can't get through other providers.

Thanks

It most likely won't improve your wireless coverage but you could look into O2/Be, make sure you can get their LLU option, their Access package (non LLU) is fraught with problems apparently. They do supply their own modem/router but you can use your own equipment as well.

They don't provide telephone support for anything other than their own box but, if you get any problems with your BB connection, all you have to do is to plug their box back in before calling them.

Your wireless coverage is more likely due to other wireless networks in your area, especially in London! If you have a look at the networking forum on this site, there's a free application called Inssider, which enables you to scan for other Wireless networks and you can then set your wireless channel to a less used one.

Hello,

Even when the router is "working" the wireless coverage is abysmal in my 3 bedroom apartment.

Thanks

This can often be indicative of channel interference. I have also noticed that some wireless channels don't appear as effective in giving signal strength or bandwidth you need, so would suggest going into your router settings page and manually selecting a different channel other than "auto" which your router has most likely defaulted to. I set mine to channel 11 as I get the full 54Mb/s and nice strong signal on my equipment at various locations throughout the house. I noticed on some I was only getting 36Mb/s and a weaker signal.

Is it possible to resite your router at all to get better coverage, or are you restricted by your telephone access point?

What's the best broadband alternative in London to Sky? I'm particularly irritated that I can't use my own router with Sky, so would like to explore options that allow me to use my own hardware.
As has been saids the WiFi problem is almost certainly down to your environment, not the router. Read the many threads here on using inSSIDer to fix it.

Not sure why you would want another router (for which you will pay) the Sky one is perfectly good and is based on a really good piece of kit. If you need extra features such as 802.11n there are easy bolt-on solutions.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Finally solved the problem today. The immediate problem (not connecting at all to the internet) was a hardware thing -- the power cord that came with the new router was bad, so I'm lucky I kept the one from the old one.

I also downloaded inSSIDer and have switched over to a different channel, which seems to have speeded things up a bit.

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom