Alternatives to Panny 50" GT30?

Taberoo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Recently sent my Panasonic 50" GT30 back to retailer suffering from the notorious "Green Blob" phenomenon. They are trying to repair it but the chances of that happening seem slim to none after reading up on the issue.
I'm also a little irritated with the 50hz motion blur from the Panny, something that wasn't an issue on my old budget LG plasma.

As most of the current Panasonic range seem to suffer from these issues, what are the serious alternatives? I would rather stick with plasma for the deeper blacks.
Samsung look like strong contenders with the PS51 D6900 or PS51 D8000 but I don't know the pros and cons of these sets. Looked in to LG plasmas but they don't seem to cut the mustard?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Use TV for watching both sd and hd tv via Tivo (watching F1 in hd. this is when I first noticed the "green blobs on the Panny, alsohighlights the dodgy 50hz motion), also use online content via Tivo. Watching BluRays and also some Xbox gaming.

Last edited:
I'm in much the same boat, just about to (probably) splash out on a 50GT30. Other plasmas don't seem to be up there PQ wise and competitive LED/LCDs are too expensive. It shouldn't be this difficult! It's one thing having strengths or weaknesses, but faults across the board are not cricket! Should one just assume that only people with problems post about them, and people with perfect sets never do? Or that most people will accept mediocrity and never notice/care!?

Samsung D8000 is the one Id go for, or maybe the D6900. Im having the same problem now with my 46"GT30 :(.

Many people have gone from VT30 to D8000 and are more than happy. Yes you get lighter blacks but you also get a brighter set and a set with less issues. I've been bigging the GT30 up a lot as its such a good set, IMO better than the Samsungs for my needs. However, my set didnt have the green issue before but has it now, this worries me as it means the chances are all Panasonic sets have this issue, its just a matter of time, rather than some having it and others not, as I had thought.
I like my GT30 so much I'm going to hang on for a bit and see what happens, now I know the issue is there though its going to be hard to ignore.

Would recommend the d6900 got the 51" and chose this over the panny as preferred the styling and didn't appear to be as many faults on the Sammy- happy with my choice.

Samsung D8000 is the one Id go for, or maybe the D6900. Im having the same problem now with my 46"GT30 :(.

Many people have gone from VT30 to D8000 and are more than happy. Yes you get lighter blacks but you also get a brighter set and a set with less issues. I've been bigging the GT30 up a lot as its such a good set, IMO better than the Samsungs for my needs. However, my set didnt have the green issue before but has it now, this worries me as it means the chances are all Panasonic sets have this issue, its just a matter of time, rather than some having it and others not, as I had thought.
I like my GT30 so much I'm going to hang on for a bit and see what happens, now I know the issue is there though its going to be hard to ignore.

I have been reading your comments on the other GT threads,sorry to hear that you too have discovered the fault. After first noticing it on mine and reading the fault thread, I gave the tv a chance. Maybe it would fade, maybe it is so subtle that it wouldn't affect my viewing pleasure, but as soon as you know it's there you can't help but see it which really takes away the enjoyment of watching the tv. Because this is such a prolific problem which now appears to develop after time,I just don't think I can go for another Panny.

What are the common niggles/problems that people are finding on the Samsung sets?

I'm in much the same boat, just about to (probably) splash out on a 50GT30. Other plasmas don't seem to be up there PQ wise and competitive LED/LCDs are too expensive. It shouldn't be this difficult! It's one thing having strengths or weaknesses, but faults across the board are not cricket! Should one just assume that only people with problems post about them, and people with perfect sets never do? Or that most people will accept mediocrity and never notice/care!?

Generally I guess that forums are set up as problem solving discussions so most of the time that is what will be posted. The size of the issue can but judged against the size of the threads though and this one (green blobs) is a biggie.
At over £1000 for a tv I find it hard to accept the issues that Panasonic are presenting.

I have been reading your comments on the other GT threads,sorry to hear that you too have discovered the fault. After first noticing it on mine and reading the fault thread, I gave the tv a chance. Maybe it would fade, maybe it is so subtle that it wouldn't affect my viewing pleasure, but as soon as you know it's there you can't help but see it which really takes away the enjoyment of watching the tv. Because this is such a prolific problem which now appears to develop after time,I just don't think I can go for another Panny.

What are the common niggles/problems that people are finding on the Samsung sets?

Yeah looking for it all the time now:rolleyes: and finding it:thumbsdow Anything near white shows it clearly now, its a git as the picture is stunning otherwise, BBC HD Preview had a clip of Merlin on last night and wow! was almost 3D, stunning, then I noticed it, or atleast thought I did.:( I may hold off and see what 2012 brings and just hope Samsung step up again.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom