Alternatives to Lyngdorf 2170 with ht-bypass

famasfilms

Banned
So I was looking for a stereo amp with HT bypass to go with my Denon 6500 and Monitor Audio Silver 500 7g. Been listening to a lot more music since upgrading AVR and speakers.

I ordered a used Lyngdorf 2170 for £1700 which was considerably more than I originally wanted to pay but reading up about the Lyngdorf made me think it was a good deal. Unfortunately the retailer cannot find it and have refunded it. They've also offered me a discount on an alternative product.

My music sources are only streaming via Spotify and Amazon Music HD, plus a turntable added last week. I have a HTPC in the same room and the plan was to connect that via USB to the 2170. The PC is basically on all day anyway and runs fairly silently, so it's not a big deal for that to be the streaming device as I can control the music from my sofa with my phone. The Denon has HEOS but I find the interface for Amazon Music awful.

I could consider the Lyngdorf 1120, especially if the retailer can give me a discount. It would be nice to have the streaming built in I guess, so that the PC doesn't have to be on. However the 60w output vs the 80w minumum recommended for the MA Silver is a question mark. I'm not sure exactly how recommended ranges work, some people have said not to worry about it and that MA have changed the way they list speaker requirements. Someone on a Lyngdorf forum said:

"Tdai1120 is an awesome streaming amp. But it won't control the 500's lows . I've tested it with the s500 and g200 ,g300. G200 works. The other 2 need a little more power"

So conflicting information.

I was also looking at the Roksan Attessa non streaming and streaming. The non streaming only has regular aptx bluetooth, so not sure how important this is for streaming from my phone. I think I would prefer something with a better quality connection e.g wired/wireless network connection, or aptx HD?

The other possibility would be to wait for another 2170 to be on sale for a similar price

Or keep looking on ebay for a bargain. There's currently a Roksan Blak and Musical Fidelity m6si on my watch list. But not sure how they compare vs Lyngdorf which seem to be rated fairly highly

I would also consider amps cheaper as I'm already over budget as long as performance is good.

The very last option and probably not very realistic would be selling my 6500 and putting the money towards a new AVR which is significantly better for music. But I am not sure I can get one with enough power for 7.1.4 without additional amplification.

larkone

Two things -

First - Lyngdorfs come with RoomPerfect, as you know, and that is worth a premium over other amps. I have a 2170 and 1120 and it is worth every penny it adds to the cost.

Second - if you pair your speakers with powered subs it removes all the heavy (bass) lifting from the amp so they only need to drive the mid/treble ranges. The current delivery is more than enough for most speakers when you are only driving the mid/treble.

Even better is the Lyngdorf boundary woofers because they move the xover point to 200Hz so take even more load off the amp. Using powered subs makes more sense than trying to get a speaker to cover the full frequency range because there is always a compromise in the design of most domestic speakers which limits their low end performance. Add RPs ability to bring it all together and you would not be disappointed. Sorry for suggesting you push your budget

famasfilms

Banned
Two things -

First - Lyngdorfs come with RoomPerfect, as you know, and that is worth a premium over other amps. I have a 2170 and 1120 and it is worth every penny it adds to the cost.

Second - if you pair your speakers with powered subs it removes all the heavy (bass) lifting from the amp so they only need to drive the mid/treble ranges. The current delivery is more than enough for most speakers when you are only driving the mid/treble.

Even better is the Lyngdorf boundary woofers because they move the xover point to 200Hz so take even more load off the amp. Using powered subs makes more sense than trying to get a speaker to cover the full frequency range because there is always a compromise in the design of most domestic speakers which limits their low end performance. Add RPs ability to bring it all together and you would not be disappointed. Sorry for suggesting you push your budget

Doh, I should have mentioned I have an Arendal 1723 2 sub, so pretty beefy. So 1120+sub = ok.

I actually just emailed the retailer about how big the potential discount would be and the improvement via room perfect.

You literally answered the question exactly before I sent the email!!

larkone

Looking at the specs for that sub you easily push the xover to 150Hz and still be within the subs operating range of 160Hz - though with a single sub you ideally would need it in/near the middle because it may be a bit directional at that point

DT79

Distinguished Member
You should be able to get the 1120 on a home demo, so you can try it for yourself before being committed.

larkone

Home demo is highly recommended - mine didn't go back

DT79

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom