Alternatives to current setup

Hello :hiya:

May be an interesting one for my first post as i am in a little bit of a tricky situation.

I currently have a setup of the below.

Montior Audio 270HD Fronts
Monitor Audio R90HD Rears on stands
An old Yamaha Amplifier :thumbsdow

I paid full whack for them not so long ago but upto now dont think i have benefited at all given my only needs for surround sound is mainly the TV, Xbox and the "odd" DVD. Also given that i do not have the full setup i am sort of wasting money as i dont have the money to get the rest anytime soon.

The reason i am thinking on changing is because of the above but also because i have a few outstanding bills i need to pay asap which totals £350. I am now resigned into having a "all in one system" or perhaps just upgrading my speakers or should i say downgrading but to something that suits me better at a cheaper price such as the Jamo HCSA102's ?

I have also been looking at the Onkyo HCS3005 setup, what i like about this is the fact you get an amplifier so if in future i want to upgrade the speakers i can. Also thought about a proper all in one without an amp such as the Panasonic SC-PT870EB-K

Im looking at spending about £300 once i sell what i currently have and pay off the bill, thats what ill have left or there abouts.

Does anyone have any suggestions what to look at or consider other then what i have said?

Last edited:
nothing wrong with it, was just thinking if i am selling the speakers i can either sell the amp or keep it depending on what my options are

funkyjazzboi

Standard Member
Now that I've spent the day listening to the Technics "New Class A" amp, it occurs to me that I would've had listening fatigue by now with the Yamaha. I would look for one of these if you don't care much for the Yamaha. You can get a darned good amp for under 100 USD on Ebay. Bear in mind that these old amps predate home cinema and thus don't have video switching options. This may not be a problem if, as you say, you seldom use it for that purpose.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom