Alternatives to carpeting walls...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by lemons, Mar 15, 2006.

1. lemons

lemons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hello all! This is my first post so I'd like to say what a great resource this is for troubled av enthusiasts like myself, hopefully I'll have something I can bring to the community, but for now I have a little question maybe someone could answer.

I'm currently planning converting my makeshift home office / spare bedroom / home theatre, into a quality dedicated home office / spare bedroom / home theatre :D. Much as I would like to carpet the walls for acoustics - I can't. I've heard the term *reflection points* bandied about and I'd like to know where they are within a surround setup. I'm considering hanging several large rugs on the walls to deaden some sound, and if reflection points are areas where the majority of sound bounces, presumably these would be the ideal spots to hang rugs? I don't expect great results but something is better than nothing.

Next time, would you prefer if I said "Where are the reflection points?" :lesson:

2. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Put simply; if you sat in your usual listening position and were able to put mirrors on the walls, ceiling and floor, the reflection points would be where you could see the speaker drivers in the mirrors.

3. lemons

lemons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As simple as that! I was hoping there would be an easy solution, many thanks!

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    It applies to all the speakers, not just looking forwards but sideways and backwards too. So by the time you've covered all the reflection points you've covered most of the wall anyway. :rolleyes: