Alternatives to BT Hybrid Connect

leasty

I'm looking for alternatives to using BT's Hybrid Connect on a BT Halo 3 (G.fast - 140/30Mbs) contract. While I've been offered a good deal from BT at +£2pm I don't really want to have to use the BT SmartHub2. I current use a OpenReach MT992 g.fast modem to an Asus DSL AC68U in router mode plus a couple of WAPs. It all works well but I'm looking at replacing the AC68U anyway as it's quite old by current standards. I want the option of having a 4G backup option for my local network which is mostly cabled (2 x NAS, 2 desktops, 2 TV's etc). Recent broadband outages have made me realise how dependant we are on decent broadband and while phones and tablets could still have connectivity during the outages, my hardwired devices didn't.

I guess I'm looking for a dual-WAN wireless router with some form of 4G dongle or with a 4G built in, hopefully with some form of automatic switch-over if possible .

Any recommendations or experiences would be good.

Thanks

psychopomp1

Considering its just a BACK-UP solution why not just use BT's router with 4G backup (Hybrid Connect) if your fixed line internet fails? Because BT's Hybrid Connect SIM will not work in another router so you will need to spend money on another pay monthly data contract sim in order to use backup 4G on another router - seems silly to spend money on something you will rarely use when BT have already provided you with a free backup 4G connection. My suggestion would be to buy something like the Asus RT-AX86U to replace the DSL-AC68U and keep BT's hybrid connect router as a backup 4G solution.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom