1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative transport.

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by wolfgang, Jul 1, 2005.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While my 3 years old DVD32R is away for health check I wonder if anyone has thought of alternatives out there as the wait might be a bit long if Nic is right. I guess the most obvious alternative is the DVD32FL but what are the choices out there without to much of a drop in audio performance? I am not to keen to spend as much for another transport for CD/DVD considering new formats for video are around the horizon. Would anyone like to suggest some other route to check out? Our first Sony DVDP and it is still going strong but it has found a good home in my brother house. So maybe I am thinking along the line of Sony ES?

2. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'd go for a top of the range Toshiba over a Sony.

When I started looking for a transport at the start of this nonsense I was definitely going Sony but the Tosh had better reviews and it handled a lot of disk formats that Sony would not look at - DVD+R and CDR etc.

When I thought I had a problem with it, despite it being well out of warranty, they sent an engineer to my house who tested it, told me to put a lens clearner through it and said he come back if that didn't fix it. Tosh were quite happy to pay for this call. Frankly, I can't imagine Sony doing that these days.

Now, are you going to notice the difference in sound and picture? You might just be surprised and how small the difference is.

3. wolfgang

wolfgang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Edward,
    I'll bear this in mind when out shopping. When it comes to video the little apparent differences btw DVDP were indeed remarkable via a 28'' CRT TV. To me when comparing what are the differences between players it has been interesting only when comparing their audio CDs playback abilities. Having said that all I am really interested to know is whether they sound as nice as what I heard in concert halls.

4. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought a used Theta Davod II, sounds better than any other transport I tried with my system, the image is good but not outstanding... :smashin:

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    For picture, sound or both? Digital or analogue outputs?

6. wolfgang

wolfgang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both if possible in a via single player. Whatever suitable when used with AV32Rbp192SP.

Looking for a new TV next week (the above TV died it was 10 years old), most probably a Panasonic LCD, so not keen to spend too much.

7. wolfgang

wolfgang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone tried this DVD player?

https://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html

Since I just got a new HD LCD TV (with HDMI) this week I have been searching for a player. Seems like the Secrets webmag like it quite a lot for video. Unfortunately play.com seems to ahve run out of the Philips..... duh!

8. Bolle

Bolle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yes, I'm using the BBK (the European version of the Oppo), as I could get it at a guy just 15 min from my house and as it has a SCART socket as well. For the rest it is identical to the Oppo, and as Oppo is a bit better in putting out new firmware than BBK, I use the Oppo firmware.

With the latest (29/06/05) Oppo firmware it is an amazing player. Very high PQ, very close to a HTPC (a Theatertek 2.1 and FFDSHOW machine), and I'm satisfied with the sound quality as well. Of course not the same as a TAG, but pretty decent. Please bear in mind that I haven't seen or heard a good Denon (3910 or so) in comparison, so my benchmarks are limited.

Only thing missing is the 2:2 cadence which apparantly is needed for some PAL discs but Oppo is working on it. Seeing the way they dealt with the biggest issues in the last firmware release I have faith in Oppo that they'll resolve it.

Menno

9. wolfgang

wolfgang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very encouraging. So you could also download firmware via internet to improve its ability following direct feedback from customers. Hmmm.. Wonder where I heard of this service before. Hmm...... those were the good days. Does this guy has a website and takes order/shipping to UK? Or better does anyone know of any UK supplier? Otherwise it looks like I have to get the USA version and change the plug myself.

Found a bit more information on BBK/Oppo.
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/oppo_opdv971h_dvd_player.htm

10. Bolle

Bolle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    As I'm based in The Netherlands and got the player here, you'll have to change the plugs anyway :)

The guy selling it has a small webstore he runs from his livingroom, the website is www.livingcinema.nl. He's a pretty easy going guy (I actually took the player and 15m DVI cable home without paying, I made a bank transfer after coming home and playing my first movie) so he might be willing to ship to the UK.

Yes, I just downloaded the latest firmware from the Oppo site and updated the player. Worked like a charm :thumbsup:

Cheers,
    Menno

11. wolfgang

wolfgang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Decided to order an Oppo and it appeared to have been dispatched already on the same evening. Meanwhile IAG service centre this morning claimed there are 6 units waiting to be repair before they would even get to mine. Hope at least one of the player arrive soon. I will report back my impression. Thanks for your help so far. I might have further questions later.

12. wolfgang

wolfgang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the Oppo yesterday. Looks like BBK indeed have a winner at least in terms of video. Will see how good is it for audio CDs later. And when IAG decides to find the time to fix my other transport I could tell you if it is a genuine alternative.

13. Bolle

Bolle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    How would you compare the video to the TAG player? And what do you compare, the Oppo's DVI output vs the PSM module output of the TAG?

For CD replay I use my CDT20R T2L, haven't really compared it to the Oppo, but don't expect any miracles here from the BBK/Oppo......

Let me know how you would compare them!

Cheers,
    Menno

14. wolfgang

wolfgang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Menno,
    My Tag transport is still at the IAG service centre. I am quite keen to see how both players compare side by side for both video/audio CDs. Yesterday I just got it plug into a Panasonic LCD TV using DVI/HDMI cable supplied. Until last week my TV was a Sony 28'' CRT, never the less, using the player with a 32'' P500 LCD TV now the picture is indeed wonderful. To be honest I would not be able to say whether it is the player PQ or the TV but in combination it is certainly a worthy improvement. Unfortunately, the remote might be faulty as I could not get it to control anything else other then ask the player to play or stop. Email the service centre this morning and hope they could advise.

As for audio CDs what I have done was plug the Oppo Player and a Linn Karik CDP with 2 separate digital cables to the AV32R. After some short A/B comparison I would say it was quite difficult to tell the difference between this and my older UK£1500 CD player. When I get the time I would try to compare them again this time connecting the Oppo via analogue cable to see if the player internal DAC makes any difference. Again I would be extremely interested to hear how much difference would connecting a Tag transport with T2L engaged give. All this would have to wait.

Should we move the discussion to the other thread Oppo/BBK in the DVD player section?