1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative to xBox Live For Online Gaming

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by NeoAnnihilator, Dec 28, 2004.

1. NeoAnnihilator

NeoAnnihilator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ever have that problem with xBox Live where you either run out of trial or you get some error, being banned for having some modded system with more memory or Live seems to expensive and to much hassle that you end up not getting it because of that?

When I got my xBox for Christmas I started playing Halo 2 right away and beat it in a matter of days. Soon as I was done I wanted to play online, saw all the fuss about it and new I had to play online. Well after all the information I recieved about xBox Live kits, Subscription codes, fees, monthly payments or just entering credit card information even with a free subscription code I started looking for other options.

Then I came across something called xbconnect. I researched a bit about it and it turns out that you can play online without all the Live problems. Now, don't get me wrong I want to play Live, problems or no problems I just wanted to get online. I came across xbconnect.com and basically the program tricks your system into thinking that you are linking systems together.

So in Halo 2 where it says 'System Link' you go into there and as long as you have an internet connection to your xBox you'll be set. The program will find your xBox, connect it to the program's master server and all the games and rooms will be displayed in the program's window. You choose the game you want to play on. (This game must be on the window for your xBox that is in the 'System Link' screen where it would show what games are available to play in a linked system environment). After choosing the game you choose a server or room to play on. And 'boom' on your tv screen a game will show up for you to connect to. No more xBox Live problems!

Plus it's free!!! Go to http://www.xbconnect.com for downloads. And in case you need help with it go to http://www.xbchelp.com/ for everything you need to know about this, other than what I've already told you. It's a growing project and there are a lot of people already using it so try it, you'll be quite surprised. :clap: :smashin:

2. NeoAnnihilator

NeoAnnihilator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :offtopic: ...well sorta

The main thing I've noticed about Playstation and xBox is that the try to find ways of making you pay for a service that really doesn't make any sense. With xBox it's one the xBox live, and in order to play DVD's you have to buy a remote and a kit to play them. The hard drive in an xBox is pretty small if you're an ultimate gamer and if you mod it for more space you get banned from playing online. With Playstation 2 (first version) it's you have to buy a network adapter and what's good is you don't have to pay for any service. But if you leave any disk in there it gets scratched. Most of Playstation's games are good but don't compare to the graphics of xBox. Also, when something is wrong with your Playstation and you want it to get fixed so you send it back to the manufacture it takes up to 2-3 months to get it back. Games have small warrenties that mostly never get renewed and as a result you don't get your money back to this crap.

And then there are the solutions....xBox can easily be adaptable to have more space and eventually you know that Microsoft will allow them and just search your drive if they think you're cheating. And why don't people just ban people by the honor system. DVD kits aren't expensive at all. Money is only dirty green paper but for Live you can use xBConnect, PS2 came out with the Slim version so all your previous scratch problems are fixed. Plus they have the d_skin to fix that problem too. And PS2 Slim has a built in network and graphics are always getting better. And as a result fewer and fewer problems are arising in the System itself unless you tamper with it and screw things up because you don't know what you're doing there'll be no reason to send it in to the manufacture. Most games now have a copyrighted code into them so trying to burn them, which you shouldn't be doing anyways, will be impossible so you'll get back you're money if you wanted to.

3. NeoAnnihilator

NeoAnnihilator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...I don't know why I decided to write all that, just sorta felt like it. Something I've been thinking about. But hey, xBox is doing a great job...genius way to make money because people will pay it. I just think there's other options, there always are.

4. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +724
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

LAY

OFF

THE

DRUGS

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have tried xbconnect. I have to say its rubbish compared to xblive. Lag and no community. You could say it was worth doing for Halo but Halo 2 is available now and its miles better.

In reality Live costs around £32 a year (Just buy a new starter kit each year)
    I think you will find most people on here believe that £32 for a year of live is a bargain.

6. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think it IS a bargain! Less than the cost of a new game!

7. gaz2810i

gaz2810i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Especially when you get a live pack plus game (like Halo 2) for 60 quid

8. Himji

Himji
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gotta agree, XBC is a pile of poo, XBL is where it is at. To think I played Rainbow Six for over 6 months!

9. ajfoggy

ajfoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5